Running QBs '08/'09 -

jared

Mentor
Here's something that went largely unnoticed/unmentioned by the mainstream media last year: nearly all of the best running quarterbacks in college football were white. You wanna know something else? It's going to be the same story again this year. With Dennis Dixon graduated, the media only has Pat White and "Juice" Williams to slobber over (and Terrelle Pryor to constantly fantasize about). Expect the rest of the top runners to be young, athletic white men. Just check out last year's stats for the top rushers (all of whom are returning this season):

#1. Michael Desmormeaux, UL-Lafayette, 1141 YDS/7 TD
#2. Pat White, West Virginia, 1335 YDS/14 TD
#3. Jake Locker, Washington, 986 YDS/13 TD
#4. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan, 1122 YDS/19 TD

#5. Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada, Navy, 834 YDS/12 TD
#6. Stephen McGee, Texas A&M, 899 YDS/5 TD
#7. Tim Tebow, Florida, 895 YDS/23 TD
#8. Matt Grothe, South Florida, 872 YDS/10 TD
#9. Zac Robinson, Oklahoma St., 847 YDS/9 TD

*Stats note: Since not all teams play the same number of games, the NCAA ranks most yardage stats on an "average yards per game" basis. Also, unlike the NFL, when a college QB is sacked, the lost yardage counts against his rush total. The totals given are net yards gained after sack yardage was subtracted.Edited by: jared

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
jared, you are correct. I didn't specifically mention white running QBs dominating last year, but I did include the top rushing stats several times which showed this to be the case. I'm glad you made this post as it makes the disparity very clear. It will be nice to follow these men this year as they strive for continued dominance.

jared

Mentor
I will add "by the mainstream media". I in no way meant to disparage the football awareness of fellow CF-ers.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
No problem jared. I didn't mean to imply that you were slighting anyone here. There are many such comparisons that should be made by us, but they are sometimes neglected and not given proper publicity. You are doing a great job with this info and I appreciate your willingness to contribute. Great work!
smiley32.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
while he doesn't run nearly as much as the guys in jared's list, Arkansas State's quarterback Corey Leonard ran for over 500 yards last season for 5 touchdowns. he also runs a 4.5-40 and high jumped 6-8 his junior year in high school. he's an outstanding athletic qb and is pre-season all-conference.

bn7802gy.jpg

Corey giving a "go to hell" to a Texas Longhorn.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
This is a great thread. Sometimes I think white QBs in the NFL are too hesitant to tuck the ball in and run, where the blacks are too hesitant to wait it out and throw. I hope some of these white QBs go on to the NFL and use their field analyzing skills to keep running for yards in the NFL when there is an opening! Blacks have traditionally been doing well in college with their style, but many have struggled with the same style in the Pros. Lets hope for a new breed of running white QBs!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
BTW, this could be another thing that weakens the caste system for RBs. If whites continue to excel running the ball as option QBs, "smart" fans may start to wonder where's the white RB? It takes agility and speed to run the ball from the QB position too!