Roddick Withdraws from Dubai

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Andy Roddick is not to keen on mixing politics and sports, so he takes a stand and pulls out of the Dubai Tennis Championships. He disagreed with United Arab Emirates denying a visa to Israeli player Shahar Peer for the prior week's women's tournament. The UAE had decided to granted a visa to Israeli Andy Ram for this week's upcoming tourney. I don't want to be to rough on Roddick. I will just say he has always struck me as someone who is aware of and schooled in the benefits of being politically correct and is very, very shrewd in that department.

Roddick reaches semis in Memphis; pulls out of Dubai

Relevant Paragraph:

Additionally, Roddick has pulled out of the event next week in Dubai, a tournament he won last season. A main reason Roddick cited is the decision by the United Arab Emirates to deny WTA player Shahar Peer, an Israeli, a visa to play in the women's tournament this week.

j41181

Master
Does this action make him a patriot or what?
smiley36.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Good for Roddick. There is no good reason why Peer and Ram should not be allowed to play in the tournament.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. It's an unfortunate precedent and very unfair to Peer and Ram.

j41181

Master
Roddick was never my favorite player to begin with, but I sure am impressed by the way he stood up for those two (Peer and Ram). Good show Andy!
smiley32.gif

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I was going to ask if someone knew if the tournament had anything to do with the denial of the visa or if the United Arab Emirates was solely responsible. I found an article which sheds a little light. I am not sure if it fully answers the question. The article also brings up the unfairness issue for players. The source of the article is gulfnews.com which might explain its quoting people that other media may not.

Dubai studies response to WTA penalty Edited by: Quiet Speed

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Andy Roddick won his 30th career title yesterday at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships in Memphis, beating the young Canadian Milos Raonic. He became the 8th American with at least 30 career titles. He needs four more to pass Arthur Ashe for 7th.

I've never considered myself a Roddick fan and he's had a disappointing career overall considering he won a Grand Slam event eight years ago but never added to it, but he's still way better than any other American men players over the past decade, so he deserves a salute for his 30th win.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
And here's how he won yesterday on match point:

<DIV align=center>[TUBE]OquK6apQx8Y[/TUBE]

guest301

Hall of Famer
Nice effort by Andy but I see why he wears a cap all the time now. I hadn't noticed that bald spot before, it must be a new development. That's exactly why I wear a cap most of the time.
smiley2.gif