Ricky Hatton

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
After such a convincing win tonight, it seems to me that the logical next opponent for Ricky Hatton is Floyd Mayweather. This would be the biggest matchup possible in the sport of boxing I reckon.

I am probably going to get a lot of grief for saying this but when asked about fighting Mayweather Hatton just changed the topic to Mayweathers lack of willingness to make a good fight. He never said he wanted to fight Mayweather and this would involve going to a higher weight class which Hatton has tried and decided he did not like.Edited by: Tired old White

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Good point Tired old White. Ricky was in great shape for the fight last night. Obviously, he did alot of gym and road work. I do not believe he would be as devestating, or as fast in a higher divsion. I don't want to see Hatton look like he did in the last two fights: slower, taking too many shots and having fight from behind. Let Mayflower come to Ricky!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
damn! i didn't get to watch it live, but i foundthe definitive 4th roundon youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ggo4hlf8V8Q

what a body shot!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

dkr77

Guru
If "pretty Mouth" Floyd wants the fight he should drop down to 140 where Hatton is at his best. Hatton is only 5'-6" and has a definitive size and reach disadvantage at the higher weight class of 147. I also recall Hatton critiquingMayweathers' boxing style by stating there was more excitement in his four round performance than "pretty Mouths" entire career. A statement I wholeheartedly agree with.

speedster

Mentor
This is a question for Max Kellerman who lurks on this site regularly.If Ricky wasn't so fast would Castillo look so old?Hmmm.I do have to agree with Max on one thing and that is that I think Castillo did check Hatton out early on to see what he had and when he realized he was in with a buzzsaw he knew it was over.When he felt the power of that left hook to the ribs it was no mas and he went looking for the nearest corner to lie down.That's two careers Ricky has ended and one to go,ugly"boy"Floyd.This is the only fight that I hope Hatton takes at 147 because with the hit and hold style that Ricky has shown recently he will totally frustrate the ugly one.Ricky Hatton,Na Zdrowie.

dkr77

Guru
If Hatton has the footwork to keep "pretty mouth" on his heel's then it may turn out to be a long cold night for Mayweather. Hatton would most likely receive a lot of poor press from boobs like Kellerman because the match would be an "ugly" pushing, brawling type of battle instead of a typical Mayweather "pitty pat" track meet. Hatton would also need a referee willing to let him fight his swarming style instead of one favoring "pretty mouths."

PitBull

Guru
Has anyone ever seen so many KO's come from body shots as there are with
this guy? I've checked out his highlight reel on youtube and it seems like he
has 4-5 KO's due to body shots. Hatton is a bad matchup for Mayweather,
whose game is to move his head this way and that, and combo and move. If
Hatton got in on him and started working his body, all that bobbing and
weaving wouldn't do him any good. I personally would love to see
Mayweather on the ground, writhing in agony with a cracked rib or two.
That would shut him up but good.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
The two white hating dorks of Boxing 4Real, made fools of themselves -- again. The first minute and forty seconds of the show deals with Hatton - Castillo. Ha ha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO4-GGGyREE

Who are these guys anyway? And why do people listen to these morons?
smiley36.gif

On a different note, I hate to say it but I don't think Hatton would beat Mayweather. Floyd would back pedal all night, the ref would break them up every time Hatton so much as sniffs a clinch, and Floyd's natural weight advantage would nullify some of Ricky's punching power. It would be a boring, 12-round UD for Floyd.

KG2422

Mentor
I think Hatton could beat him at 140. It would be a mistake for him to fight again at 147.Edited by: KG2422

Hockaday

Guru
Ricky was very sharp. Early in the fight Stewerd commented that Castillo was much the better body puncher than Hatton, then Hatton proceeded to land at least a dozen wicked body shots to Castillo. He didn't say the words, but Castillo did a no mas.

So the Hatton bandwagon is back on track. There's even an actual band in the bandwagon. Never seen that before, but it was cool. Gotta love those Brits.

I'm just afraid the bruthus will steal the band idea and have some idiotic rap group gibbering away during their next fight.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
By the way, it was hard to find anyone who thought Hatton would win. The ESPN geeks all picked Castillo. Teddy Atlas said RIcky's only shot was if Castillo was shot. The fightnews.com and ESPN.com polls all had Castillo KOing a man who had never been knockced out. My mantra is always bet on the white guy as we are ALWAYS underrated by the media and brainwashed fans.

By the way, Ricky's brother Matthew also fought and won a minor title last night.

I'd like to see Ricky go after Cotto at 147 in November. Winner has to be fighter of the year.

JD074

Master
dkr77 said:
Hatton would most likely receive a lot of poor press from boobs like Kellerman because the match would be an "ugly" pushing, brawling type of battle instead of a typical Mayweather "pitty pat" track meet.

I don't think he would be criticized for brawling, especially after the disappointment of the Mayweather/ De La Hoya fight. Remember how livid Lampley was after the Taylor/ Spinks fight? Nobody wants to see that kind of fight. He would get criticized for holding, like Lederman criticized him last night. But he would definitely gain respect for beating the "Best P4P in the world." A lot of people would love to see Mayweather get beat.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Why so much interest here in seeing Hatton move to 147? I don't think he fared that well in his one venture into that weight class, and I don't think he would beat Cotto or Mayweather at 147.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
Why so much interest here in seeing Hatton move to 147? I don't think he fared that well in his one venture into that weight class, and I don't think he would beat Cotto or Mayweather at 147.

Because there isn't a lot of quality opposition at 140. Malignaggi, Witter... who else? Plus, we all hate Mayweather.
smiley2.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I hear you, JD... but I'd be sick at my stomach if Hatton made the fight with Mayweather and lost.
smiley11.gif

KG2422

Mentor
Mayweather fought at 140. Make him come down or no fight. Hatton didn't look like himself at 147 and it's not just the competition being stronger. He's faster at 140.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I agree, KG. I'd be willing to bet though that there is no way Mayweather would drop to 140 to fight Hatton. I think he'd see the danger in such a move and insist the fight take place at 147.

It is a fun and interesting fight about which to speculate though.
smiley4.gif

cslewis1

Guru
Way to go Ricky! Got me following boxing for the first in years! Excitign. Actually watched a fight on ESPN on Friday Night. Boxing CAN make a comeback if the actors are right.Saw a replay also of teh Bowe/Golata fight. Man, that was awesome!

I also believe that it would be a very bad move for the Hitman to fight Floyd at 147. I think Mayweather's stregnths (speed, elusiveness, and great defense)make it easier for him to go up in weight than that of a man possessing the skills of Hatton (Iron Chin,great power, and a killer instinct). Hatton is a banger, and by moving up he will have to take that same style against men that are naturally bigger than him.

If Pretty girl and Hatton do fight at 147 I see Pretty girl winning a UD while frustrating Hatton. If they fight at 140 (Hatton's natural weight) I believe Hatton does have a chance to beat him. Needless to say Hatton is my favorite fighter after Klitschko, Kessler, Pavlik, Calzaghe, and Lyakovich. So I hope his management uses their head when setting him up for his next fight.

That was one hell of a wicked body shot though. The n*thuggers
smiley19.gif
at East Side Boxing never run out of excuses when it comes to explaining away the success of a White man.

That being said. Great fight Hitman. Let's Unify the titles and own 140.
smiley32.gif

Hockaday

Guru
In his two biggest fights so far, Hatton has made the other guy quit. Ricky should stay at 140. He looked so lean and mean and sharp in this fight. He was really on, in a way I don't think he could be at 147.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Ricky can hang at 147. He did win a belt at welterweight in beating Collazzo last year. It was Ricky's first fight at 147, first major fight in the U.S. and first major fight against a lefty. Anyway, that's where the money and big matchups are. The public won't be so enthused by Hatton-Malignaggi or Hatton-Witter. Now if he fights Cotto, Margarito or Mayweather that would be PPV and Ricky would be a household name.

One of the things we complain about is that whites own boxing yet few know this as the media keps pushing old-timers like Winky Wright and Bernard Hopkins or black hopes like Jermaine Taylor. Hatton, Klitschko, Kessler, Calzaghe, Povetkin, Pavlik and others are the true kings of boxing. They need big fights to prove this and break into the national consciousness.