RB - Sam McGuffie

backrow

Hall of Famer
exactly what Steve said. i am pretty excited about Sam, and i think he's good enough to put a serious dent in caste system.

Gi-15

Mentor
SteveB said:
McGuffie will be playing his senior year of high school ball this fall. Next year, he will be at Michigan with Hart long gone and only one other RB to compete against him for the starting job. Unless he gets hurt, he will be the starting RB at Michigan his freshman year.

thats just it. Long-time backup Kevin Grady is a senior too. So he'll get the job, or michigan is in serious trouble.

Gi-15

Mentor
funny stuff from mike hart :

"I can't even compare him to me," said Hart, who hosted McGuffie on his visit to Michigan. "I thought I had a great high school highlight film, but I didn't play against any competition. Talk about him, 5A competition in Texas and he's doing the things he's doing? Hopefully it's not digital animated, because to do the things he's doing is amazing. He's going to be a great player here, a great player. I talk to him all the time. I want to try to see him succeed."

"That's all (Michigan running backs) coach (Fred) Jackson talks about," Hart said, laughing. "Coach Jackson would get rid of me to have him right now."

Bronk

Mentor
Crap. My niece went to the same high school as McGuffy so I was able to see him play quite a bit last year.

I wish Sam lotsa luck, but as a Texan I am disappointed he didn't stay down here.

whiteCB

Master
SteveB said:
McGuffie will be playing his senior year of high school ball this fall. Next year, he will be at Michigan with Hart long gone and only one other RB to compete against him for the starting job. Unless he gets hurt, he will be the starting RB at Michigan his freshman year.

steveB you know McGuffie very well(you were the one who first heard of him)so do you honestly believe a true freshman can come in and start right away. That's a pretty rare feat on a great team like Michigan. The onle other player that comes to mind who did something like that would be no other than Maurice Clarett in 2002 for Ohio State.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it isn't unusual for a true freshman to be a starter at tailback. it is the easiest position to adapt to, or so most people claim.

just at Arkansas for example, Madre Hill, Cedric Cobbs, and now Darren McFadden all started as true freshmen tailbacks and had brilliant collegiate careers. even Peyton Hillis started as a true freshman tailback/fullback.

SteveB

Mentor
whiteCB said:
steveB you know McGuffie very well(you were the one who first heard of him)so do you honestly believe a true freshman can come in and start right away. That's a pretty rare feat on a great team like Michigan. The onle other player that comes to mind who did something like that would be no other than Maurice Clarett in 2002 for Ohio State.

Not really that amazing, Adrian Peterson started his freshman year at Oklahoma and was in the running for the Heisman. There are more but that is the one that I can think of off the top of my head.

Look at Michigan's depth chart and I think that McGuffie could start his freshman year:

Mike Hart - Sr
Kevin Grady - Jr
Brandon Minor - So
Carlos Brown - So (may be moved to DB)
Avery Horn - Fr

Hart will be gone. Grady has a 3.5 ypc career rushing average. Horn was not very highly rated coming out of high school. So I see Minor (2nd leading rusher on the team as a freshman last year) as McGuffie's main competition his freshman year.

speedster

Mentor
I don't know how things will play out for Sam but I'm going to try and stay positive about his situation.Staying healthy will be a big thing and reminding some of the media and idiot fans that the State did have a white tailback in Blake Ezor in the late 80's who tore it up.It can happen again.

hedgehog

Mentor
speedster said:
I don't know how things will play out for Sam but I'm going to try and stay positive about his situation.Staying healthy will be a big thing and reminding some of the media and idiot fans that the State did have a white tailback in Blake Ezor in the late 80's who tore it up.It can happen again.

Before I picked Keith Millard as my Avater, I searched hi and low for a Blake Ezor JPEG on the internet, and could not find one. I hope it works for him in Michigan.

Wolverine

SteveB said:
So I see Minor (2nd leading rusher on the team as a freshman last year) as McGuffie's main competition his freshman year.

Michigan's offensive coordinator was really pumping up Brandon Minor on local radio this week.They're really high on him, and he's looking forward to carrying the rock this year and after Mike Hart leaves.

I'm surprised the OC let all that out of the bagwith only a verbal commitmentfrom McGuffie, and nothing in writing.

SteveB

Mentor
For folks in Southeast Texas, Cy-Fair will be playing Houston Stratford on FSN Houston tomorrow night. Stratford features Andrew Luck, one of the top QBs in the country, a Stanford recruit, and son of former Houston Oiler QB Oliver Luck. McGuffie vs. Luck, there will probably be 80+ points scored.

I'll be watching.

Bronk

Mentor
That McGuffie-Luck match should be a doosie.

I remember Blake Ezor at Michigan State, too. Super back out of Las Vegas, if I remember correctly.

Well Sam got injured on a horsecollar tackle in the 2nd quarter. He looked ok but didn't see any more action the rest of the day. The African-American RB backup looked okay but Sam was the difference-maker and the backup fumbled at the goal line. That cost Cy-Fair the game. A bit of a let down but not a bad game.

whiteCB

Master
Sam's verbal commitment the U of Michigan is currently 0-2 getting blown out in the Big House on both occasions. The Lloyd Carr regime(the people who recruited a white RB) will be fired without a doubt at the end of the season. I can definitely see Sam thinking about backing out of his verbal commitment. Afterall he doesn't want to play for a new coaching staff he doesn't know and who didn't promise him a legit shot at RB. I think Texas A&M could ultimately be the school Sam chooses. What does everybody else think?

SteveB

Mentor
He was visiting the A&M football practice a couple of weeks ago as a guest, so make of it what you will. Not too many recruits get that kind of treatment especially after committing to another school. I think the door is still open.

This is a tough move. He will have to split carries at Texas A&M for at least the first 2 years. I doubt he will redshirt but he will have to contend for carries with power back Jorvorskie Lane and Mike Goodson the scat back. Sam would get some touches but A&M has been a RB by committee for the past decade there and I doubt that would change.

At Michigan I think he could start right away regardless of coach. Minor is fumbling all over the place. Hart would be gone. But if Carr is gone, that could lead to problems.

USC too many RB's. Heck they have 5 star RB's who can't even see the field. One of the transfered to...

Florida. Emmanuel Moody just transferred there and with so many Florida RB's and shafting of white athletes. I wouldn't go there.

If I were Sam the best bet would be Notre Dame. Aldridge is a good back, I personally watched him in H.S. and Armando Allen is decent, but Sam is just that better. When Sam takes the starting job, he'll have exposure. The line will be alot better and he'll get national TV.

I think he could (and probably will) end up at A&M. I just don't think that he would get all of the carries as A&M has been a RB by committee over there. Also Goodson is a good back too and has similar skill sets. Sam would have to wait till his Jr. year to get the major chunks of carries. I just wish he would go to Notre Dame.

jared

Mentor
I can only imagine the hate poured on TV darling Notre Dame if they had a star white tailback. I heard a rumor that LSU coach Les Miles might be offered the Michigan job (where he played and coached under Schembechler).

whiteCB

Master
Notre Dame's o-lines haven't been impressive the past few years so I don't know if Sam would reach is full potential running behind a mediocre line. On the other hand though you know he would get a fair shot at RB. A new Michigan coaching staff coming in just gives me the chills and I doubt they wouldn't take to kindly to a white RB recruited by the staff they're replacing. I'm kind of leaning towards A&M because I really feel they would give him a legit shot at RB(see Jordan Peterson at CB).

Riddlewire

Master
All I know is he better make sure he picks the right school the first time. The D1A transfer rules are ridiculous. A coach can recruit a player with lots of false promises (I'm looking at you, Houston Nutt), and then the coach can take off for better opportunities without paying any price whatsoever. Meanwhile, if the freshman kid who has been lied to wants to get out of a bad situation, he has to sit out a year at his new school. It's even worse if he redshirted that first year; he completely loses a year of eligibility.
Don't mess up, Sam. Retract your verbal and wait until the season is over. You won't get a second chance to make the right decision.
(as if he could read this
smiley36.gif
)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, Sam could read it no doubt. The question is, is he reading it. Keep hope alive!

Riddlewire

Master
Poor phrasing on my part.
smiley9.gif

I just wish I could hook him up for lunch with a few guys who have made lousy deciscions, mainly because they were blinded by the majesty, history, name, etc. of a particular school. Sam should throw all of that out and look at the roster, at the recruits for last two years, at playing time breakdowns for recruits, and at the current climate for the head coach. I know he wants to be a star for a major program, but, as good as he is, he can make</span> a program into a major player. Most importantly, he should go to a school with a stable coaching situation. Everything else comes second, because you never know what you're going to get with a coaching change. It might be better. It might end up with your ass on the bench for four years.