Race row in New Zealand rugby

Kiwi

Former All Black Andy Haden has stirred up a big debate in New Zealand, claiming that NZ's most successful Super 14 franchise, the Canterbury Crusaders, have a racially based selection policy. Funnily enough, this policy is intended to reduce the number of non-white players in the Crusaders squad. This has created a huge amount of debate in New Zealand about Haden's comments, but also on the issue of the 'browning' of New Zealand rugby and race in general. This issue has been simmering in New Zealand for some time now and looks like it has finally risen to the surface. I would be very interested to hear any of your thoughts on the subject and how it compares to the situation in America.

The original article:
NZ rugby race row
News story

Reaction:
Crusaders deny racial policy
Racist theories from dark side of Kiwi culture
'Dark' truth of NZ rugby
Its not race, its resources
Andy Haden apologises
Polynesians need things explained by 'simple concepts'Edited by: Kiwi

devans

Mentor
Welcome back Kiwi. Not heard much from you for a year or two.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Interesting debate going on over there about club <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Rugby</st1:place>.
I suppose it is a similar situation to world soccer where teams recruit the best players from anywhere they can find them.
But what about the national team?
How many Polynesians and pacific islanders have qualified to the All Black via residence or whatever and made the team?
Is there any debate about this issue?

backrow

Hall of Famer
i applaud Crusaders for their success on the field with mostly white team comprised of the actual Kiwis. by far my favorite team featuring all time greats like McCaw, Thorn, Chris Jack and Dan Carter. Interestingly enough, some of their white backs are undoubtfully amongst the fastest players in the Super 14, namely Maitland and Guilford.

Edited by: backrow

itsme

Guru
backrow said:
i applaud Crusaders for their success on the field with mostly white team comprised of the actual Kiwis. by far my favorite team featuring all time greats like McCaw, Thorn, Chris Jack and Dan Carter. Interestingly enough, some of their white backs are undoubtfully amongst the fastest players in the Super 14, namely Maitland and Guilford.

Maitland and Guilford are both maori.
smiley2.gif

Ben Smith(Highlanders) is the only white winger in NZ, the rest are all maori or pacific islanders.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
moz-screenshot.png
Idk just by doing a quick google search Maitland and Guilford look to have majority white blood..

Kiwi

You've got to take into account in New Zealand there are a lot of European New Zealanders who have got some Maori blood, and that there are no Maori who don't have European blood. Guildford and Maitland might be considered Maori by a lot of people within New Zealand, but outside of NZ no-one would make that distinction, because they look like Europeans.

For example, some of these guys have in recent years been picked for the NZ Maori team which plays every few years.
2010+New+Zealand+Super+14+Squads+Announced+-NkO7lwSA4ol.jpg

Robbie Robinson
cullen120507L_228x340.jpg

Christian Cullen
GlenJackson_1218323.jpg

Glen Jackson

In any case, our best winger (and I reckon the best in the world at the moment), Cory Jane, is white anyway.

backrow

Hall of Famer
even kiwis consider Dan Carter white and he seemingly has some maori in them as well. i dunno, that's even blurrier than Tyler Gaffney situation haha

Kiwi

backrow said:
even kiwis consider Dan Carter white and he seemingly has some maori in them as well. i dunno, that's even blurrier than Tyler Gaffney situation haha

I don't know why people think Dan Carter is a maori, neither of his parents look anything other than European. I guess in New Zealand, if you have a tan, people automatically assume you're part Maori!