Practice squads signees

referendum

Mentor
Ok, now that I'm depressed with news of the overall lowering of white players in the league, and Woodhead getting cut, why don't we keep track of white players who made it on to a practice squad.
Raiders Gunheim, Norris and Nixon. 49ers Finley. Seattle Hass. Titans Schommer, Vikings Anderson.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Screw the practice squad. Is that what cheering for white players has come down too?

referendum

Mentor
Jaxvid, hardly that, I just think it would be good to keep track of guys who might be waiting in the wings so to speak, for their next opportunity. For instance, just off the top of my head I can think of Lance Long, Brett Swain, and Jerheme Urban as current wide receivers who at one time were on practice squads.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Eagles sign WR Danny Amendola, TE Rob Myers, and OG Mike Gibson to the taxi squad.

Titans sign DT Mitch King, FS Nick Schommer.

Edited by: PhillyBirds

referendum

Mentor
Colts add Giguere and Mathews to practice squad, for a unique two white wide receiver tandem.

referendum

Mentor
Another former practice squad participant was Greg Camarillo.
Steelers add Grisham.
By my count we have Bergeron, Hass, Mathews, Amendola, Giguere and Grisham as white wide receivers currently on practise squads. Hopefully as the season goes along some will make it to a roster. Intrestingly, I've noticed alot of teams don't have any WR's on their pracice squads, so the percentage of white WR's on these squads is pretty high this year I'd imagine.Edited by: referendum

backrow

Hall of Famer
Matt Simon is on Saints practice squad. and yeah, teams that carry 6 or 7 receivers on their roster don't tend to have many on the PS.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Panthers
Jeremy Leman (LB)

Jaguars
Michael Desormeaux (QB/S)
Jeremy Navarre (DE)
Brock Bolen (RB)

Bengals
Corey Lynch (S)
Dan Skuta (LB)

Browns
Brian Schaefering (DT)

Raiders
Greyson Gunheim (DE)
Slade Norris (LB)

Cowboys
Scott Chandler (TE)

Lions
Lydon Murtha (T)
Dan Gronkowski (TE)
Dan Gerberry (C)
Zack Follett (LB)

Bills
Jonathan Stupar (TE)

Jets
Matt Kroul (DT)
Jack Simmons (TE)

so far, not on the PS: Remkart and Woodhead, maybe simply because they were cut a day later, but Woodhead might possibly be getting claimed by someone to their active roster.Edited by: backrow

foobar75

Master
What is the significance of making the practice squad? I assume you can get called up to the main roster if an injury position opens up. It also seems to to indicate you were among the last cuts. I guess don't quite see it as a place of oblivion. It's better than nothing, and keeps your dream of playing in the NFL alive.

backrow

Hall of Famer
you are getting NFL paycheck, you (usually) are in team's long term plans and train with them everyday (for some players that might not be physically/mentally ready), getting to know the system, and might get calld up (by any) team at any point. basically you are a free agent practising real football and getting paid for it.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
backrow and referendum,

Thanks for putting out the names of the practice squad signees. While its disappointing these guys are not on the 53 man roster, its important that more whites fill the practice squad where they can make positive steps forward as players.

You guys missed LB Kenwin Cummings to the Jets P.S. With that name I can see how he would be missed.

KenwinCummings.jpg
Edited by: Freethinker

Pollyanna

Guru
I wonder what the percentage is of white players on the squads. Could it be equivalent to the regular roster, or are whites over represented much like blacks are on the regular squads.

referendum

Mentor
I'm guessing the practice squad percentages are about the same as the league as a whole, but I believe this year that the 7 white WR's on squads represent a larger % than whites WR's on active rosters. I'd guess there are only about 20 WR's total on all practice squads.

Bear Backer

Mentor
Leonardfan said:
Woodhead was signed back onto the PS.

This is absolutely sickening. You can't tell me that there wasn't a team out there that could use a guy like Woodhead, who would be a near perfect chance of pace or third down back right now at this point in his career.

Not that I would want to see Woodhead go to Chicago to play for the uber racist Lovie Smith, but the Bears RB core is almost as pathetic as their WR core this year, and Kevin Jones is on IR. That leaves a second year guy in Forte who you don't know if he is going to have a sophomore slump or not, a useless perennial roster spot hogger in "stuttering" Adrian Peterson and Garrett Wolfe who has NOT Panned out AT ALL like the Bears thought he would. Their intentions were for him to be a scatback like Darren Sproles in San Diego, but he has in no way shape or form lived up to those expectations or shown that he has the ability to be that kind of player. Other than that, they are completely solid at RB.

Really, somebody get Danny a can of shoe polish and a lawyer. If he were black he would have a roster spot and not be rotting away as a guy to be pummeled in practice on the scout team. Edited by: Bear Backer

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I can't believe Eric Peterman isn't signed yet. What a joke! If only a lawsuit against the NFL could be possible right now, it is so needed. Unfortunately not enough people see the truth yet.

referendum

Mentor
Good news about Charlie Martin signing with Carolina practice squad.
Also Logan Payne was signed to Seahawks pracice squad, but Giguere was cut from Colts squad. I believe that makes 8 white WR's on squads. I'm most intrigued by Hass and Payne making Seahawks squad when the black receivers who were touted, such as Kent, Bumpus and Taylor were all cut and not offered a practice squad spot. Hopefully some of these white WR's can get signed as it would be great to continue to ramp up the number of white WR's on active rosters.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
referendum said:
Good news about Charlie Martin signing with Carolina practice squad.
Also Logan Payne was signed to Seahawks pracice squad, but Giguere was cut from Colts squad. I believe that makes 8 white WR's on squads. I'm most intrigued by Hass and Payne making Seahawks squad when the black receivers who were touted, such as Kent, Bumpus and Taylor were all cut and not offered a practice squad spot. Hopefully some of these white WR's can get signed as it would be great to continue to ramp up the number of white WR's on active rosters.

Ya i can definitely see Charly Martin working his way up that organization as long as he gets the chance which we will all know will be hardto come by. He reminds me alot of Kevin Walter in the way he plays and his body type. Walter was a former Practice squad guy as well so hopefully he can emulate what he did!

Pollyanna

Guru
I beginning to think that practice squad signings of white receivers are the NFL's way of saying they do sign whites at skill positions. In other words, they are simply token spots and not intended to ever see any real action.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Pollyanna said:
I beginning to think that practice squad signings of white receivers are the NFL's way of saying they do sign whites at skill positions. In other words, they are simply token spots and not intended to ever see any real action.

Every once ina while a practice squad player becomes a regular, but I think we can safely assume that Mike Hass isn't overly thrilled to be on a practice squad for the fourth year in a row. The PS is very thin gruel.

white is right

Hall of Famer
For white tailbacks that are pure tailbacks that can't be converted to fullbacks or h-backs/tight ends. Or be tailback/fullback hybrids it could very well be true. If Danny Woodhead can't really make a roster, then who can? Jake Sharp might be the next pure tailback that may have this problem too.
smiley11.gif

referendum

Mentor
Don, IIRC Hass was on the Bears Practice squad in 2006, made the team in 2007 for the whole year (but saw no action), then back on Bears PS for 2008, and now Seahawks for 2009. I believe he has a degree in engineering so in the back of his mind he must be thinking about getting on with his life.

referendum

Mentor
Stupar promoted from PS to regular roster by the Bills. He looked good in a couple of preseason games I saw him in.Edited by: referendum