Plummer to retire

Poacher

Mentor
It looks like one of the caste system's favorite whipping boys has finally had enough. Just read on cnn/si that Jake is retiring. So who will the system anoint to take his place at the whipping post?

Plummer always seemed like a nice guy to me. True he was no hall of famer but my God did the media rag on him. Game after game, season after season it was always Jake can't do this, Jake can't do that, etc, etc.... I wish him well in his life away from football.

Whipping boy? I'd have to disagree. He was criticized, sure, but not to the extent that most QBs are.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ialways calledPlummer the "White Kordell" because he was the one white football player the media inexplicably liked and publicized far more than his abilities and production would justify. He also received a lot of commercial endorsements. It wasn't until last year that the media turned on him,but theydid so with a vengeance

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Plummer was getting grief on Dan Patrick's radio show because he didn't cry when he announced his retirement. Supposedly the fans were cheated by the absence of tears and therefore left to wonder if Jake cared at all about them and football.

Just another example of a screwed-up society in which womenaren't supposed tocry in public anymore because it's seen as weakness, while men are all but obligated to cry in various circumstances.

scheyer30

so sad
smiley6.gif

Don't cry too hard for him. This guy will never have to work again with the money's he's made. Wish he had better teams in Arizona.

White Mike

Guru
Don Wassall said:
Plummer was getting grief on Dan Patrick's radio show because he didn't cry when he announced his retirement.  Supposedly the fans were cheated by the absence of tears and therefore left to wonder if Jake cared at all about them and football.

Just another example of a screwed-up society in which women aren't supposed to cry in public anymore because it's seen as weakness, while men are all but obligated to cry in various circumstances. 

Did Barry Sanders cry when he gave up?
smiley5.gif

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Wish Jake would use some of that money to buy a better t-shirt. I think Barry suffers from a mental disorder, perhaps major depression. He never has given a credible reason for leaving the game. I will not forgive him for allowing Enema Smith to gain the rushing title. I know that Barry's dad told the press (when Barry was still chasing the yardage title) that he did not think his son was the best running back. Maybe Barry quit to spite the old man.