Playoffs Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Borussia said:
Look, I like Farve and in many ways he is a fantastic Caste buster. Kind of rooting for him to get to the SB. Having said that, actions like last Sunday could (emphasis on COULD) result in a angry Cowboy going for a Viking's knee...perhaps a key player too.

Bottom line: adhere to the codes as best as possible or don't complain about the potential consequences.
You need to have certain trust not only of your teammates, but frankly the opposition in many respects. Football is a truly dangerous game.

This assumes Favre calls the plays; he doesn't other than audibles. The issue is when is it running up the score? The Vikings were up 27-3 with roughly 4 minutes left. If the usually high scoring Cowboys get a quick score the game is 27-10. Extremely unlikely they would win, but not impossible. 34-3 puts it away, no questions. If it's 34-3 and the Vikings are still throwing the ball, then one can say they were running it up. But at 27-3 there's a legitimate argument that they weren't.

JReb1

Mentor
I don't think the Vikings were trying to run up the score or they would've kicked the field goal on fourth down. Favre just happened to see an open WR in the end zone and made a nice pass. I don't think it was a malicious play.

TwentyTwo

Master
Technically it could have been 3 TD's with all 2 pt conversions...27-3...27-11...27-19..27-27....not thatit was gonna happen...but the Vikes were not gonna find out...

I understand both sides to this...

My rant is RB- L Tomlinson AVG per carry has fallen to a dismal 3.3 yards per carry...why not at least give Jacob Hester a few carries..he couldn't do any worse!! But no way he gets a chance??He managed to get one reception for 15 yards...and I missed it!! And tipped (nearly blocked) a punt in 4th quarter and could have been the hero!

dwid

Hall of Famer
They aren't even thinking of using Hester which is a shame because he would be the perfect replacement. It has been mentioned several times that the Chargers need to draft a "Shonn Greene" clone. Hester is basically a "greene" clone, except slightly faster and little bigger

Bear Backer

Mentor
I think way too much is made about running up scores in sports, especially at higher levels live college and the pros. I coached little league baseball for a couple of years after college and even then my job is to help put my team in the best position to win. I have never heard one convincing argument that losing or beating a team by a few points as opposed to many helps build sportsmanship. Sometimes you are just playing so well and the other team quits playing, that almost everything you do is successful. I remember one game in particular were we were beating a team pretty badly. I believe 18-0 was the final score. Our pitcher was pitching a great game with a chance for a no hitter going into the 7th and last inning. I took out most of the starters and tried to get all the kids involved, but there was no way I was going to take out my starting pitcher and deprive him of a memorable experience in his youth as long as he was physically able to keep going without damaging his arm. That is just the way it goes. I don't think it proves good sportsmanship just to lay down and tank it the rest of way in a game just so the other teams doesn't feel like they got beat so bad. Obviously in a situation like that I am not going to be calling for steals, slash bunts, hit and runs or other strategies, but I am not going to have my team just lay down and rest on their laurels either. That is a bad habit to get into. I don't see 34-3 as a team purposely going out and trying to run up the score, but rather as Don Pointed out a team ensuring they put their competition out of reach for a win. Even in youth sports I don't view this as a negative thing. There have been many of times even at the college level where I have observed the occasional big inning where a team gets hot and might plate 7+ runs. This happens more often in youth sports as pitching is not yet up to par with hitting. Say I take my pitcher out in the bottom of the 5th inning when we are leading 14-0 and the other team plates 7 runs in that inning. It is now 14-7. The momentum shifts and we don't score, but they come back and plate five more in 6th and it is not a 2 run game, our kids are totally demoralized at this point and they edge us by 4 runs to 1 in the 7th and win the game. What have my kids learned about sportsmanship then?

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
The issue is when is it running up the score?  The Vikings were up 27-3 with roughly 4 minutes left.  If the usually high scoring Cowboys get a quick score the game is 27-10.  Extremely unlikely they would win, but not impossible.  34-3 puts it away, no questions.  If it's 34-3 and the Vikings are still throwing the ball, then one can say they were running it up.  But at 27-3 there's a legitimate argument that they weren't. </div>

Don, just a bit of clarification. The Viqueens were ahead 27-3 and were at the 11 yard line with 1:55 remaining in the game.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I misread the box score. The Vikings last drive took 3:31, which I mistook for how much time was left when they scored.

bigunreal

Mentor
Thanks for clarifying things, Bart. It was under 2 minutes left and the Cowboys had no timeouts left. Passing in that situation was inexcusable and the epitome of bad sportsmanship.

I'm astonished that so many here don't understand this simple basic concept, which has existed as long as competitive sports have. Didn't any of you have parents and coaches who advised "it's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game?"

Codes of conduct and unwriten rules are part of what make sports civilized. Otherwise, it all just becomes total "street ball" (which it already has become to a large extent, especially in the NBA). Taking the atitudes expressed here to their logical extreme- why have officials or penalties in these games? The toughest, most aggressive players will win, correct? Survial of the fittest, right?

Running up the score fits in perfectly with a ghetto mentality. Rational, civilized people don't kick someone when they're down. Unlike Steve Smith and other pro affletes, they don't sucker punch people. And unlike Bill Belicheck, Brad Childress and apparently a sizable portion of our population, they are capable of knowing when a game is out of hand, and instinctively avoid displays of poor sportsmanship like taunting the opponent and running up the score.

GWTJ

Mentor
In the old days, a team would just kick a field goal and nobody's feelings ever got hurt. Why didn't the Vikings kick a field goal? In probably 99.9% of sporting events, the team with an insurmountable lead calls off the dogs and just plays out the remainder of the game. Subs get inserted, teams milk the clock and both sides congratulate each other on a good game.

This running up the score ideology is another example of this country's moral decline. Making predictions of the outcome, acting like a fool after any half decent play, taunting opponents, planning celebrations and going after officials is all part and parcel of a replacing of white values with the values of our minority population. And it's frustrating that whites get caught up in this lowering of standards as well.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Did the Cowboys have any time outs left? 1:55 / :45 = game over.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I could care less if a team of afro-losers gets humiliated by an "old man," or anyone else. Blowouts add to the overall illegitimacy of the NFL ("best players play"Â￾). The league went to the dogs decades ago. Let the chaos continue...it only makes black players look more foolish and weak and pathetic than ever. I will never, ever feel "bad"Â￾ for 11 black millionaires getting torched. Youth, HS, and sometimes NCAA, yes, running up the score is certainly poor sportsmanship.

Keith Brooking used to be one of my favorite defensive players. He's had one of his most productive seasons in years....but his attitude is changing from the "Silent Leader"Â￾ to the "Loud-Mouthed Wigger Zulu King."Â￾ Very annoying.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Thrashen said:
Keith Brooking used to be one of my favorite defensive players. He's had one of his most productive seasons in years....but his attitude is changing from the "Silent Leader"Â￾ to the "Loud-Mouthed Wigger Zulu King."Â￾ Very annoying.

I've never seen video of Keith and this Zulu dance you guys have mentioned. Do they jump in the air and grunt like African Zulus? I've seen that one before. Kinda gross when white guys participate.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Great posts bigunreal, GWTJ and Thrashen. I definitely see both sides of the argument and I am personally torn on this one....
smiley68.gif

All in all, great discussion.

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:

They were talking about this yesterday on a talk show. Cowboys had NO time outs left.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
White Shogun said:

They were talking about this yesterday on a talk show. Cowboys had NO time outs left.

I'm not sure how anyone can say then that the Vikings weren't running up the score on purpose. Kneeling on first down would have taken the clock to 1:11; kneeling on second down to about 35 seconds, and that would have ended the game, no? Am I missing something?

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I say all bets are off in the play offs. Run your offense full speed ahead.I did not see the Vikings defense take any plays off toward the end of the game.Jarrod Alan and the rest were bringing the pain all four quarters.I think the offense needs to to the same mentality, operate with a take no prisoners attitude all the way to the Super Bowl Championship.

If Brett gets another touchdown for the record books, so be it. This has been great to see and I will be rooting for him to win the big one.

cat-sky

I want the Colts to get beat, not because I hate Peyton Manning, but
because I hate Jim Caldwell for doing something completely ordinary. I'm a Rams
fan and not a fan of anybody else, but I think it's dumb that Caldwell wants to
settle for a Super Bowl instead of try to go undefeated. Every year a team wins
the Super Bowl, but only once has a team gone undefeated.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
KP, sounds like Brooking & Brees are trying to "communicate" on the afrolete's "level", so the bruvahz "undastan"...yo!
smiley2.gif
smiley8.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I like Brooking but his behavior in that game was stupid, plain and simple. I would expect that kind of bitc-ing from one of the bruvas but not Brooking.

I don't think what Brooking or Brees are doing is acting black. My nearly all white football and basketball teams did things like that, led by white guys, who gave two S@#*ts about impressing black people. Some of these guys were openly racist and proud of being white.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Fightingtowin said:
I don't think what Brooking or Brees are doing is acting black. My nearly all white football and basketball teams did things like that, led by white guys, who gave two S@#*ts about impressing black people. Some of these guys were openly racist and proud of being white.

Noone ever said what Brooking and Brees did was acting black. I only said that I think Brooking's behavior was stupid.
Edited by: whiteathlete33

Kaptain

Master
If "we be special" isn't acting black, then I don't know what qualifies. This is all mimicking black behavior, lets not kid ourselves. I've met many self-proclaimed racist white youths who mimick black behavior who claim to be racist, but really they are just low-lifes looking for any reason to offend anybody in any way they can. Brees and Brooking of course are low-lifes, but they are mimicking black behavior for reasons that I think involve social pressure more than anything. They have been told they are leaders and have to give a jungle-monkey motivational crap-talk and do a good job of playing the role.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
If "we be special" isn't acting black, then I don't know what qualifies. This is all mimicking black behavior, lets not kid ourselves. ... They have been told they are leaders and have to give a jungle-monkey motivational crap-talk and do a good job of playing the role.

These are the role models all the White kids look up to. All things black be cool my bruvas.

Favre's turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNMzWKn3OCE