Playoff Teams To Cheer For?

Bunnyman

Guru
Who are the best teams to cheer for from our perspective? My team (Patriots) is in and I expect them to go far. They are also one of the whiter teams in the league as is Carolina and the Giants. Anyone else? I know the Jags are the worst and will look forward to the Pats beating them with ease.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I am feeling particulary apathetic about the playoffs this year. See the thread "white kick returners," there is a nice discussion going there about the poor product the NFL has become.

I'm not sure who I want to root for, if any. I'm leaning towards Pittsburgh because of Big Ben, and the Pats because of Tom Brady. I no longer want the Colts to win because I don't want to hear how miraculous their victory is considering "all thats happened" to them via Tony Dungy, when Peyton Manning has been running the offense and calling the plays anyway. Although a Peyton v Eli Super Bowl would be very intriguing, I admit.

I like the fact that we have some very young guys playing quarterback in the playoffs: Rex Grossman, Chris Simms, and Eli Manning. The fact that these guys are in, and their more vaunted black counterparts, Vick, Culpepper, and McNabb, are out, is very telling, if people would only open their eyes.

backrow

Hall of Famer
let's break it down by teams:

AFC</font>

Indianapolis Colts: Dallas Clark TE, Brandon Stokley WR, no white players on defense

Denver Broncos: Jeb Putzier TE (not a huge part of their offense), John Lynch on D

New England Patriots: Christian Fauria TE, Heath Evans FB, plus Tom Brady is my favourite playoff QB, defense features LBs Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi plus few backups

Jacksonville Jaguars: Matt Jones WR, Rob MEier DE

Pittsburgh Steelers: Heath Miller TE, Aaron Smith DE plus several D backups

Cinci Bengals: Schobel TE, Kevin Kaesviharn FS, Justin Smith DE, David Pollack LB

NFC</font>

Seattle Seahawks: Joe Jurevicius WR, Lofa Tatupu MLB, Grant Wistrom DE

Chicago Bears: noone on offense, LBs Urlacher and Hillenmeyer, backups Todd Johnson FS and another two white LBs Odom and Cain

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Alstott FB, Chris Hovan NT... plus they are my team so GO BUCS!

Washington Redskins: hmm... Chris Cooley only

Carolina Panthers: Brad Hoover FB and Ricky Proehl WR, Dan Morgan LB and Jordan Carstens DT... plus several white backups on D

NY Giants: Jeremy Shockey LB, Jim Finn FB, Nick Greisen OLB

so take your pick, although there seem to be a shortage of white players in the playoffs this time around
smiley11.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
backrow said:

Chicago Bears: noone on offense, LBs Urlacher and Hillenmeyer, backups Todd Johnson FS and another two white LBs Odom and Cain

Unless he changed his skin color John Tait is white on offense. The Bears had a white fullback but released him after scoring multiple touchdowns, and there white starting fullback is injured.

Didn't you mean Washington Blackskins?

And the Chicago Black Bears.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Bear-Arms said:
backrow said:

Unless he changed his skin color John Tait is white on offense. The Bears had a white fullback but released him after scoring multiple touchdowns, and there white starting fullback is injured.

Didn't you mean Washington Blackskins?

And the Chicago Black Bears.

of course i don't count neither white o-linemen or QBs of whom there is plenty on nearly every team...
yes Bears released fullback Marc Edwards who scored 2 receiving TDs for them in favor of Bryan Johnson who is injured atm&nb sp;

Lord_Lugdreg

Right now I am cheering on the Broncos (AFC) and the Seahawks (NFC).

I am not going to offer any super 'rational' reasons, its just my subjective feelings towards the two teams.

The Seahawks have NEVER been in the Superbowl so I would like to see them make it in there at least once (before I die! LOL!) Also I have noticed reading threads here that for some reason Coach Mike HolmGod is strongly disliked by Castefootballers... I don't see why when the team brought in Free Agents like DE Grant Wistrom and WR Joe Jurivicious. (Yeah he did let that one White RB go thouhgh, wasn't it Lumsden?)

With the Broncos I just like Jake Plummer and the player he as matured into and he seems to be the only 'athletic' scrambling type White QB that gets any credit, also they have Lynch which is totally cool.

The teams I am cheering against would be:

Colts (don't wnat to hear about the suicide anymore! If it was a White Coach it would have been a 1 day story. Also they need to throw to Stokely more)

Jaguars (they have improved at getting the ball to Matt Jones more, but haven't improved enough for me to actually cheer for them, although I do like Leftwich as a QB alot more then alot of other black QBs.)

Buccaneers (Should have let Lynch retire as a 100% Buc. Since they didn't that is the reason I am going to be against them.)

backrow

Hall of Famer
tell me all about it... Lynch and Joe Jurevicius gone were something i will never forgive Bucs management, Bruce Allen and Gruden... they both had plenty of gas left as evidenced by their seasons, abd believe me real Bucs fans are still upset and talking about it...

whiteCB

Master
I'm cheering for the Bengals these palyoff to go all the way. First they've ever won it all in fanchise history and I mean come on their the hapless Bungles. Secondly they have Justin Smith, Kaesviharn, and Pollack on D. On offense you gotta love Carson and backup WR Kevin Walter. For the NFC I like the Seahawks for the same reasons listed by other posters and they have also never won or even been to a Super Bowl.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I am pulling for the Giants and the Colts because I have a connection to the Mannings. I wouldn't be upset if the Patriots won again though.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Each team has a player or two or three to root for, but as usual it's thin gruel. From a pure anti-Caste System viewpoint the Patriots would probably be the best team topull for, given that they have Tim Dwight as a punt returner and backup WR, have used Heath Evans a bit to run the ball, would have the league's only all-white o-line except for injuries, and use Mike Vrabel as a two-way playerto catch touchdowns. I'll be rooting for the Steelers, but like Col. Reb I won't mind if the Patriots pull off the first three-peat of the Super Bowl era.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don, I thought you were a Manning man?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I think Don and I were both pulling for the Colts aka Peyton Manning earlier in the season. Now, not to put words in Don's mouth, but I think we both dread the media circus that will surround the Colts and Tony Dungy if they make it to the Super Bowl. Peyton' stellar season last year and 13-0 start this year will be overshadowed by the death of James Dungy. Tony Dungy will get all the credit for the Colts' success, how much he overcame to come back and lead the Colts to the Super Bowl, yada yada yada. Then next year, you will find six more black head coaches filling the vacancies of all those recently departed,white albeit caste system supporter, coaches who were fired this year.

So, as Don said, its thin gruel.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but I did become turned offby Stokley never being brought back into the offense, along with the St. Tony Dungy media treatment. But I would like to see Peyton Manning win multiple Super Bowls, so I won't be upset if the Colts win either.
smiley36.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yes I seem to remember a couple of fella's that will remain unnamed (DW and WS) who gave me and others a hard time when we made the EXACT same point a while back.
smiley4.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And here I thought certain unnamed people were giving WS and me a hard time.
smiley2.gif
I think all the arguments in favor of Manning and the Colts are still valid, just that the death of James Dungy and the resulting official canonization ofSt. Tonyhas changed the dynamics of the situation.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Actually, I still stand by what I said re Manning and Stokely . We cannot know if Peyton's desire *is* to get Stokely more plays or not. We don't know if he is petitioning behind the scenes to get Stokely more time.

And making a public announcement that Stokely needs to be in the game more often would massacre Peyton's public image, he'd be labeled a whiner and racist to boot. Who would Stokely replace? Harrison? Wayne? They won't sit either of those guys. Blacks stick up for their homeboys, but we all know that is a privilege not allowed white players. They operate under the same, or worse, racial dynamics than the rest of us in the regular population.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
just that the death of James Dungy and the resulting official canonization ofSt. Tonyhas changed the dynamics of the situation.

If you think the sports news is fixated on Tony Dungy now, just wait and see what happens if gets near the Lombardi trophy. It's gonna be ALLabout Dungy 24/7. Peyton who??

FrankDeford quote: Should Indianapolis draw closer to the championship, Dungy will also start to have to deal with all the talk about how he might become the first African-American football coach ever to win a national championship, professional or college.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
the first African-American football coach ever to win a national championship, professional or college.

I did not know this. Good info, and more reason to root for the Stillers.
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't be too upset if the Pennsylvania Whiskey Makers won it eiether. I had 3 of their players on my fantasy team most of the year, plus their defense.