Peyton Hillis

snow said:
...as for the comments to that article, that is the 5th time I have heard mentions that he is roiding, about him being able to push someone like Wilfork back. White guys are strong, the guy pulled trucks in high school. The only thing he did was cut 10 pounds since leaving Denver and looks to have been in the sun more which both lead to looking more cut. Not to mention his custom shoulder pads that are higher and show more of his arms.

Its common sense, a 240 pound man running at the speed that Hillis has in his initial burst (I think 1.5 seconds to run 10 yards) lined up 7 yards behind of scrimmage, running into a 350 pound pound of blubber defensive tackle that has little to no momentum at all, of course Wilfork can be pushed back by a back like Hillis. I wouldn't mind if Hillis voluntarily took a drug test just to shut these guys wrong. Luckily i have only seen this type of post a few times and not a 100. People just can't fathom the idea of a successful white football player because it has been ingrained into their heads that whites can't be athletic. Do football players juice? all the time, but at positions like linebacker, de etc.

This is something that I've seen a lot, too; and not just with Hillis. Google ANY big, cut, successful, white NFL players name (Cushing<even while he was at USC>, Matthews Jr, Toby, Peyton Hillis, etc) and you'll see that one of the most common searches associated with their names is "steroids." You're absolutely one hundred percent right on both counts, Snow: 1) accusing our guys of doing steroids (but NEVER their black idols)is a way for the DWFs to make sense of a successful white player in their black supremacist mindsie "no wonder he's so good, look at him, unlike my black heroes this cracker is obviously on juice." 2) The over, OVER, OVERWHELMING majority of football players in college and the NFL have used PEDs at some point in their careers, be it while they were in high school, college, pros, or all of the above. A very good friend of mine played D2 ball and said that the majority of the team (including the QB!) either is or was using steroids. Amongst each other, they'd talk about it like the everydayperson talks about the weather. Anyone that's inthe college and/orpro footballcircles knows that this isfootball's dirty little secret--most of the players, regardless of race or positon, use(d) steroids.

phil3333

phil3333 said:
smiley47.gif
i think baring injury hillis will become the primary ball carrier and could potentially break a 1000 yards
smiley4.gif
this should have happened last year in denver
smiley7.gif
there was times when i doubted that a white player would ever get the opportunity to reach 1000 yards,i am very happy
smiley14.gif

Csonka72

Kiwi said:
Anyone catch what Tony Kornheiser said about Peyton Hillis on PTI today? Talking on the significance of Hillis running for 1,000 yards, Kornheiser said because of peoples preconceptions of white athletes, white running backs have to be better than their black counterparts to get the same recognition, in the same way that black quarterbacks had to perform 20 or 30 years ago! Wilbon also said that Hillis making 1,000 yards would be good on "1,000 levels".

Very surprising comments especially coming from Kornheiser!

I saw this as well, Wilbon and Kornheiser nailed the issue right on the head.

I looked for a transcript and found one from http://www.livedash.com/transcript/pardon_the_interruption/3366/ESPN/Friday_December_10_2010/530838/

Here it is below:

00:07:28 >> Peyton hillis needs 38 yards on sunday to become the first white running back to gain 1,000 yards in a season since craig james in 1985.
00:07:39 Some people might think this is significant.
00:07:41 Hillis says, quote, I'm a human just like everybody else is a human.
00:07:45 I don't think race really matters, unquote.
00:07:48 Wilbon, do you?
00:07:49 >> Of course it matters.
00:07:50 It was great for hillis to say that.
00:07:52 It's great on a thousand levels to see hillis do this.
00:07:56 Any time you are the minority person doing something that is as completely different and not associated with the way you look, ok, then it becomes an important story.
00:08:06 It's like you talk about white american basketball players all the time.
00:08:10 Where are they?
00:08:11 They're diswaded to do it by their own parents in my cases.
00:08:15 >> Exactly.
00:08:16 >> There are cases, I'm certain, with a white running back, so many kids white and black, mostly white, are saying you don't need to be doing this.
00:08:23 Why don't you go -- fill in the blank.
00:08:25 >> Why don't you go play lacrosse is what parents say to white kids who want to play cornerback or running back.
00:08:31 This isn't a cultureated event.
00:08:36 Parents look at cultures with certain settings and say what are you doing here?
00:08:40 A white running back has to go out and be better than everybody else ironically in the way a blk quarterback 20 and 30 years ago had to go out and be better than anybody else because people said, what are you doing here?
00:08:52 >> Amen to you on that, tone.
00:08:53 >> The whole notion of white kids discouraged from doing, if it's just skin work any of the european players be in the nba?
00:09:01 Of course not.
00:09:02 It's not that.
00:09:03 >> Tony, if people think we're exaggerating, all they should do is talk to chris muller and tim legler.
00:09:09 They have great stories about this.
00:09:10 Great stories all the time.
00:09:12 Big ups to peyton hillis.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I think many parents of tall, athletic sons' would rather have their kids in volleyball (over basketball) because of the "fair-play" element, as it's harder for refs/line judges to "alter" the outcome of volleyball contests. Because, it's very telling when an NBA game goes into double and triple overtime.. and the "black stars" are still on the court while the Whites have already fouled-out...

And, this is not just true of White Americans, as there's a ton of Slavic-born phenoms in volleyball as well. And, I think the case can be made that volleyball is a greater test of eye/hand coordination and pure body-control, compared to basketball. When one is looking at the spectrum of White genetics, focusing on just football and basketball would be a mistake.. it's simply too narrow a prism.

These White men in volleyball can find good women and pass on their genetics, and their children could end-up competing in various sports.

foobar75

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
One thing is for sure, outside of those who watch the Cleveland game via online streaming, not very many people will see Peyton Hillis break 1,000 yards rushing this week. Here are the coverage maps for this week's games. http://the506.com/sports/?tag=2010-week-14

In a rather unlucky twist, I have ended up with quite possibly the worst line-up for tomorrow here on the West Coast:
smiley19.gif

CIN @ PIT, followed by
DEN @ AZ and
SEA @ SF

The combined rosters of these teams is probably close to 90% black, not to mention how bad these teams all are except for PIT. It's absolute garbage as far as a football Sunday, so I'll be out running errands but will keep my phone handy. I'll be checking CF frequently for updates on both the CLE @ BUF game as well as the NE @ CHI game.

Here is another pretty cool highlight video, which is worth viewing.

I like the choice of Eminem as background music. Their plight was similar in a way, with Eminem having beaten the "caste system" of rap. Peyton running through affroletic defenses is similar to how Eminem schooled the Detroit rap scene at the Rap Olympics back in the day despite being the victim of racism.
smiley36.gif
They also have similar aggressive styles and a chip on their shoulder. Edited by: TorontoArgos

foobar75

Master
Here's a nice article that covers a lot of ground.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/12/on_precipice_of_1000_yards_pey.html

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Shortly after Peyton Hillis was traded to the Browns back in March, coach Eric Mangini called and woke him up from a nap. What Mangini said made Hillis think he was still dreaming.

"I said, 'You can come here and get 1,000 yards, you can do that,'" recalled Mangini. "It's nice to see that came true. I really believed that when I said it and I'm really excited for him that we're getting closer."

Hillis, who was overlooked at Arkansas, in the first six rounds of the 2008 draft and last year in Denver, has an excellent chance of reaching the 1,000-yard milestone Sunday against the Bills. He needs just 38 yards, and will go against the league's worst run defense, one that's yielding a hefty 170.9 yards per game.

"It would be a dream come true," said Hillis, who has 962 yards and 11 rushing TDs. "It's always been in my dreams to do something like that. It would mean a lot to me and the rest of the guys that helped get me there. A lot of guys are unselfish up front and it's for them, not for myself."

Hillis would be only the third Browns back to reach 1,000 yards since Kevin Mack did it in 1985. Reuben Droughns rushed for 1,232 in 2005 and Jamal Lewis gained 1,304 in 2007 and 1,002 in 2008.

"It's going to really exciting," said left tackle Joe Thomas. "Peyton's done such a great job all season, it'll be real satisfying for us to get him over that mark. The guy runs hard every single play, runs over people and sets up our blocks really well."

Hillis will also be the first white running back to reach 1,000 yards since Craig James did it for the Patriots in 1985. He's on pace for 1,282.

"It is pretty amazing that it's been that long," said James, a college football analyst for ESPN. "I always knew somebody would come along and surpass it. I just didn't see it coming from Peyton. It's not a knock against Peyton. It's just that he didn't have that many yards in college, so he kind of came out of nowhere."

Friends and colleagues started telling James about Hillis over the past six weeks or so, and he started paying attention. The first game he watched was against his former team, the Patriots, a game in which Hillis rushed for a season-high 184 yards and received congratulations on the field afterwards from coach Bill Belichick.

"I knew then that he could do it," said James. "To get the 1,000 yards you have to have speed. You just can't plod along at 3- and 4-yard clips. You have to have some 10-, 15-, 20-yard runs and the speed and ability to break big plays."

James said he does think there's a stereotype against white tailbacks.

"But I don't know whether it's from the player who imposes it on himself and says 'I can never be a running back' or it could be from a coach," he said. "You really have to be given that chance."

He said he'll reach out to Hillis as soon as he reaches the milestone. "I have to welcome him to this small fraternity," he said with a laugh.

Hillis' teammates said it hasn't been an issue.

"I don't think anybody says, 'He's good for a white running back,'" said linebacker David Bowens. "He's a great running back, period."

It's also a non-issue to Hillis.

"Talk is talk," he said. "No matter if you do good or bad, there's always going to be talk. I guess that's one of the focal points, but it doesn't really need to be about that. It should be about a guy going over 1,000 yards."

Left tackle Joe Thomas said the big story is Hillis riding the bench in Denver last season and then getting shipped to Cleveland in the Brady Quinn trade.

"Peyton basically had no yards [77] last year and then they got rid of him," said Thomas. "I'm sure the Broncos thought they were getting the better end of that bargain. I don't know how much Brady Quinn's played this year, but certainly Peyton has had a huge impact on our offense."

Thomas surmised that Hillis' huge season contributed to the firing of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels last week. "Personnel decisions were part of it and that was probably the biggest one," he said.

Hillis, who has some of the best hands on the team, leads the Browns with 53 catches and is just 13 shy of passing Greg Pruitt (65) for most receptions in a season by a Browns back.

"He has very good hands," said offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. "But I don't think his [pass protection] gets talked about enough. He's one of the better pass-protecting backs I've been around in 12 years. He's a complete back in terms of being able to do that, which is not always the easiest thing to do."

Despite his sensational season, one that includes 13 touchdowns for third-most in the NFL, Hillis isn't thinking Pro Bowl.

"No. Not at all," he said. "We've got four games left and Lord-willing, we'll have four wins."

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Can't wait for this game. Only 38 yards for Hillis to reach that elusive 1000 yard mark. Unless he gets totally stuffed by the Bills defense, it's as good as done today.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Today is the day guys. We all will need to make a toast to Peyton Hillis. I'm glad Craig James said what he did. He may not have elaborated on it too much but he brought it up. Not easy to do when you work for any of the networks. We need to get more main stream guys to discuss the topic.

Patrick

Guru
Its going to happen - it almost doesn't seem real. I was a young child that had no idea what football was the last time a white man ran for 1000 yards in a season so I've never seen something like this. I honestlynever thought it would happen - but if it did happen I knew it would take aninjury (or multiple injuries) to black starters fora white guy to be given a chance.

Being raised Irish Catholic I always expect the worst and I'm sure I don't need to say more than that, or mention the "I" word. The stars are aligned - Bills have worst rush D in the league. For those that didn't see it Kornheiser and Wilbon had good things to say about the "racial significance" of Peytons achievement - though they didn't delve in to the factors that prevent white guys like Hillis, or Leonard, or Gerhart from getting a chance to be a feature back and ALWAYS get their shot when a black starter goes down. Laurence Maroney gets chance after chance and has shown he sucks for years but still he is given starting touches but a guy like Forsey is shuffled out of the league after he is given a single chance and runs for 160.

Ah well, go Hillis!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This from Rotoworld:

Browns RB Peyton Hillis needs to rush for 38 yards in Week 14 to reach 1000 rushing yards on the season.
<div ="s_pNewsTextMain">
Hillis would be just the third Browns running back since 1985 to reach
quadruple digits. We fully expect Hillis to hit the 1000 yard mark in
Week 14 and then some, as the Bills are giving up the third most fantasy
points to opposing running backs on the season. Peyton comes in as our
No. 1 ranked running back for the week.
</div>

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Not to take anything away from the great Peyton Hillis -- who is only now finally getting his due respect -- but I wonder how many talented White runningbacks rotted away their prime years on the bench or playing some other "racially appropriate" position. And gradually saw that they were getting old, that their window of opportunity was closing, and that they never did get their shot to see if they could be a star.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hillis is there! 1,000+ on the first drive of game 13!
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

White Power

Mentor
I only hope he has opened the door for more white running backs. Peyton Hillis you are the ultimate caste buster.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
21 carries for 108 yards...1000+ yards for the season..for the Juggeraut!
smiley32.gif

snow

Mentor
He also has 1507 yards from scrimmage,I believe is 3rd for white backsbehind Craig James 1587 in 85and Jim Taylor's 1580 and 1520 in 62 and 64, and the season isn't over yet.At least since the 60's. I could be wrong, Id have to have more time to look it up. I know Riggins had several 1300 yard seasons.