Olympic Speed Skating

Well if it wernt for this man [url]http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/5056822/detail.html?ib_o ll=Headline[/url]

Chad Hedrick; this segment of the olympics might reinforced the theory that whites do not make good sprinters... Chad is projected to win the 1500, the 10,000 and the 5000 meter races

A black kid by the name of Davis is projecte to win the 1000 meter race

In the 500 meter race, the shortest distance race, the USwill be represented by four whites. However a South Korean is projected to win it

Ohno hasnt qualified for any races

A mixed bag or sure, but a month ago many felt that Davis would win all races and that Ohno (half asian and white) would be a close second, with the Korean gentleman not far behind those two americans....

For more go to http://www.nbcolympics.com/speedskating/index.html..... please note that the links on the left hand side of the page are dated and still show Ohno as being the one to beat

Ohno is however, the top american in the Short Track races..... in the 1500 the 500 and 1000 but short track is not the same as the Speed Skating... there isa difference... as the Speed Skating races required more speed, obviously.

Just my opinion, but short-track speed skating just might be the most jack-assed "sport" ever conceived. There is virtually no opportunity to pass, so the only real action takes place at the start, when the competitors fall into the placings that they will probably retain throughout the race.

It's a joke, really. I recall one race from 4 years ago where an obviously overmatched skater intentionally lagged at the back of the pack, in the hopes that the other skaters would wipe-out in front of him. They did, and he won the heat.

Short-track speed skating is only one example of sports that only exist for Olympic purposes - luge and skeleton are others. These are not things done for sport by the general public, and they strike me as being a bit silly. On the other hand, curling has a surprising popular participation in Minnesota and Canada, and biathalon (cross-country skiing and shooting) are vital survival skills in Arctic countries.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Short-track speed skating, the luge, and skeleton are sports that only exist in the Olympics, and strike you as a bit silly. But curling is okay??
smiley36.gif

I've never played it so I realize I may not know what I'm missing. But it looks about as much fun as shoveling the driveway after a snowstorm.
smiley36.gif

But I agree, the biathlon is a great sport with real world applications. Using that criteria, I can't wait til they add MMA to the O-Limpiks.
smiley32.gif