Oleg Platov

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Oleg Platov (26-1, 22 KO, age 24) will be fighting again on Dec 8 in Basel, Switzerland against German boxer Cengiz Koc (23-3, 15 KO, age 30), not a bad opponent. I don't expect Platov to step up to fighting real contenders until 2009, but I'd like to see him tested against a couple more former (or fringe) contenders in 2008. Since his close SD win over the former WBO titleholder Akinwande, he's fought three lesser opponents - but he's still very young and has lots of potential.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Big brute of a man, wild as a bear, with no reluctance to let his hands go. He is one of those men that are just born strong, the type that can walk into a gym, without ever having lifted weights, and dead lift 350lbs. Akinwande could not shake him off much in the way fighters cannot get away from Hatton. He needs much refinement though, especially needs to learn to throw shorter, less wide punches, and in better combinations. He needs to work on his blocking, his use of elbows, and head movement. He makes up for his crudeness with good instincts and a sound commitment to fighting at a close distance. A good prospect, should break through to the top 10 after he fights 2-3 top 20 men.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
According to the BoxRec schedule today, there's been an opponent change for Oleg Platov.

He'll be facing British heavyweight contender Danny Williams on Dec 8. This is a big step up for Platov - Williams, rated #20 by BoxRec, is a tough cookie and should really test the young Ukrainian.

Sean

Mentor
JD1986 said:
According to the BoxRec schedule today, there's been an opponent change for Oleg Platov.

He'll be facing British heavyweight contender Danny Williams on Dec 8. This is a big step up for Platov - Williams, rated #20 by BoxRec, is a tough cookie and should really test the young Ukrainian.

This is a really good test for Platov. I hope he can continue his impressive run against Williams. I think he should be able to win a decent decision over him. I think Williams is too crafty to be KO'd by Platov.

G

JD1986 said:
He'll be facing British heavyweight contender Danny Williams ....

If THIS

Danny-Williams0402-0503b.JPG

is British, I'm King Henry the Eighth!

ww
Edited by: werewolf

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Danny Williams is that clumsy ox that Vitali Klitschko made immobile. If I remember correctly, Williams scarcely landed a punch en route to becoming a human punching bag. Going into the ring, Williams later said he was intimidated and scared to fight the big Ukranian superstar. He had good reason to be scared, and his fears came to fruition. Like I have said in the past, don't be fooled by physiques such as what Williams carries, he's not strong for his size nor does he punch exceptionally hard. Oleg Platov is likely planning on out hustling him and knocking Williams out late.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Hopefully Williams gets knocked out quick and easy. I dont really know much about Oleg but I will soon become a fan.

G

I dont really know much about Oleg but I will soon become a fan.

Watch the tape at the beginning of this thread. That will tell you what you need to know.

ww

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
He looks very quick. However didn't that fight go the distance? This guy could be fighting for a title in a year or so from what I hear.

G

Platov ready for Williams!

December 4, 2007

Oleg Platov will defend his IBF Intercontinental heavyweight title against Danny Williams on the Abraham-Elcock undercard in Basle on Saturday night. The hard-hitting Ukrainian (26-1, 22 KOs) won the belt from former WBO heavyweight champion Henry Akinwande in November 2006 when he clinched a split decision. He is now eager to prove his class again against another experienced and highly-respected veteran. "Danny Williams is a very strong opponent," 24-year-old Platov said. "I watched his fights against Mike Tyson and Vitali Klitschko. It tells you something about his class. He is very dangerous."

Platov has already made one successful defense of his IBF title, stopping Colin Wilson in the tenth round of their meeting in Stuttgart back in April 2006. However, he knows that Williams will provide him with a much tougher challenge. "For me to reach the next level, I have to beat the best fighters," Platov added. "I have to defeat everyone to reach the top."

Williams (37-6, 30 KOs) wrote boxing history in July 2004 when he knocked out former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson in the fourth round. He then proved a great chin and his heart in the clash with WBC champion Vitali Klitschko, who stopped him in the eighth round. It would not spell the only disappointment of Williams´ career as he lost to Matt Skelton and Audley Harrison last year before knocking out Scott Gammer in March 2007. "That was my opportunity to prove that I wasn´t finished and that you should never underestimate me," Williams said. "I am an unpredictable fighter and when people write me off I always come back."

Williams is eager to put himself back in the frame for a world title shot with a win over Platov. "I believe he is a very good fighter," he said. "He proved he is world class when he beat Henry Akinwande. I see this fight as a chance to climb in the rankings because Platov is ranked quite high. I have not stopped training since April and I am hungrier than ever for this fight."

Maple Leaf

Mentor
On december 8, 2007 Platov and Williams fought to a 4 round NO CONTEST. Williams "accidentally" head butted Platov in the second round and the ringside doctor stopped the fight. Platov apparently took some hard shots in trying to fight with the cut. Platov only weighed 221 to William's 270. Williams didn't look that big because he holds a significant amount of weight on his legs. Platov was able to connect in the fight but, as I said in an earlier post, he is as wild as a bear. Platov needs a jab. His lack of skill at this point in his career (he is 24) will affect his future. Platov will never be a prominent figure in the heavyweight division but he is a player, he's white, he will win fights, and for that at least, we salute him.

Because the fight ended a NC I will not count this prediction as a win nor a loss. My Caste record stands at 5-1.Edited by: Maple Leaf

devans

Mentor
Great video JD

the Video

platov had him in trouble from the beginning and the Ref let Williams get away with a lot of holding and hitting on the break.Edited by: devans

white is right

Hall of Famer
werewolf said:
JD1986 said:
He'll be facing British heavyweight contender Danny Williams ....
If THIS
Danny-Williams0402-0503b.JPG
is British, I'm King Henry the Eighth!ww
It's sad but England his never really produced heavyweights. Recent prospects that have been white have been blown up cruiserweights. There is a diamond in the rough named Tyson Fury(not sure on the spelling). He is 6'6" and has a build similar to Wlad Klitschko.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Oleg Platov will be participating in a heavyweight tournament beginning on Aug 29. It will take place in Des Moines, Iowa and be televised by FOX.

boxrec schedule

Eight heavyweights will participate.

heavyweight tournament

One of the originally scheduled participants, Josue Blocus, has been replaced by Platov since that Aug 8 article.

Another white heavyweight, Chris Koval, will be participating. Koval has never reached his potential, because he ruined his career by becoming obese.

Hopefully Platov will win this and establish himself as a heavyweight contender.Edited by: JD1986

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I notice their is another Russian on the card Andrey Fedosov. I have never heard of him. Ill be looking forward to watching him in action.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Oleg Platov has been injured and inactive for much of the past two years. However, he is scheduled to fight this coming Saturday Dec 5 against Cengiz Koc.

Parody said:
Oleg Platov has been injured and inactive for much of the past two years. However, he is scheduled to fight this coming Saturday Dec 5 against Cengiz Koc.
Great news prody.. Platov has not looked his best in the last few fights because the guys were so much bigger than he was. Oleg is about 220lb, And fighting guys around 250 to 270lb, nobody will look good in fights like that........