Notre Dame 2006

Jeff is being doubled and treble teamed this year..... McKnight isnt as good a receiver as Stovall was,and when you count Fasano into that mix as well...its pretty much a one man show at Receiver now....Why Weis brought Travis Thomas into the defense to play Linebacker when he only weighs wait for it 207 Pounds!!!
smiley7.gif
,when we have Scott Smith,Anthony Vernaglia who is an absolute freak, and Steve Quinn is beyond me.Zibby would be better to be played at that hybridApache Linebackerposition..which would give him more freedom to make plays.What excites me most though is the fact that out of our 8current 2007 Verbals. 6 are White.
smiley1.gif
Good times are ahead.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Mcnight is terrible, I have noticed for whatever reason Quinn seems to look in his direction alot more than the Shark's. Mcnight has had quite a few dropped balls in the 3 games so far this season. Stovall was a product of Jeff's breakout season last year though, do not be fooled because before last year Stovall did nothing but as teams started double teaming Jeff, Stovall was open more. This year Jeff gets double teamed but Mcnight cannot make the catches stovall was able to m ake when he was in single coverage.

whiteCB

Master
Colonel_Reb said:
IThis is one reason I have trouble with the idea of buying a jersey with another man's name on it. It just seems weird.

I know what ya mean Col Reb. I think for kids its fine to wear a jersey with someone else's name on it but once you hit 30 its time to give up the jersey thing. It's kind of juvenile. That's one thing that makes me laugh at the NFL is when I see some overweight fat balding guy wearing his preciious Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson jersey in the crowd or in some store. Its pathetic to be honest.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What do you think will happen when the Irish run into the Spartans this week?

I see an absolute shoot out...

ND 47 MSU 41... with two huge games for Quinn and Stanton and a huge game for shark....Our Overly Black defense couldnt stop the over 80's Granny Bingo Offense..absolutely brutal....Tyrone Willingham really done a number on this team... we have no Sophmore or Junior classes at all... next year we will be starting freshmen and sophmores all over the place..Tyrone was too busy playing Golf though during his tenure at South Bend to care though.

jcolec02

Mentor
actually Reb, I belive Weis's first recruitment class will be juniors, so they should be alot whiter,and better, ya know that got me thinking, when there defense has 5-8 white starters in the coming years, and the defense becomes about 5 times better, ya think people will notice???...btw...if Notre Dame wins out (which they could) they would be in the national championchip game...USC is currently ranked 2nd, and thats the last game of the season...as for Quinn's Heisman hopes...Troy Smith will have a bad game and they could loose to Michigan, or Penn State...plus Quinn has alot of easy defenses to play against...so that should pad his numbers.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hey NDI and anyone else with Irish info, what is the word up there about the white running back Schmitt? is he ever gonna get a legit shot to carry the ball?

also, who are these recruits that are coming in that you are so excited about? i don't follow too much high school football, so i'm interested to learn about 'em.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What was Weiss thinking, giving the ball to the slow Walker on the 2 point attempt? Man, seems like a pass there would be a no-brainer!Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What a comeback by the Irish!
smiley32.gif
I feel bad for Drew Stanton, but the Irish really needed that win if they were going to make a run for the title. John Carlson lead all receivers with 4 catches for 121 yards and a TD! Jeff Samardzija was second with 7 catches for 114 yards and 2 TDs! Stanton had 57 yards on the ground and 113 yards through the air. What a game! It was a good one for the 40th anniversary of the 66 game. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Hockaday

Guru
Great comeback. When the rain got bad I thought the Irish were finished. I got up to do a couple chores, and when I came back Norte Dame was ahead! Add to the list of legends.

Absolutely amazing comeback..... Quinn after a bad start showed exactly why hes Heismann and Number One overall pick material....John Carlson might be a better Tight End than Fasano last year...If he continues at this pace...He could work himself into a possible late first round pick....Shark was wonderful as usual...

Brady Quinns Stats this season so far 92/158 for 1,086 Yards 11TD's and 4 Interceptions

Sharks 23 Receptions 273 yards and 4 TD's

John Carlson 17 Receptions for 297 yards and 1 TD

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
NDF you really called that game, you had a shootout 47 to 40. I only watched the first half and a little of the second. Everyone I was watching with thought the Irish were doomed. They looked pretty bad too especially after Quinn threw the interceotion for a TD. But I have watched MSU for years and there is NO game that they cannot lose. So I told everyone wait until its over. The headlines in the news this morning did not surprise me much.

You could tell that ND still had a shot because their offense moved well when they had the wind with them. I will also add that if Stanton had a few white receivers (guys that can catch the ball) MSU would have fared better. His guys were missing stuff I would have caught.

I knew it would be a shoot out due to the fact that Neither teams Defense is up to much....

The Two best QB's in the nation clashed yesterday... Quinn regrouped well after a poor start and had a massive game...Stanton was handicapped by horrible play calling,what did he throw a grand total of 3 TIMES or something ridiculous like that in the second half.As You said MSU have the ability to lose any game, If You remember last year they were destroying us,and we still came back and they only managed to win in overtime.You're right in that Stanton was made look bad statistically by MSU's woeful receiving corps..If He had to have shark yesterday MSU especially against that secondary would have scored 70.

A Hell of alot ofIrish fans are fickle as hell,They after a victory believe the Defense is championship quality
smiley36.gif
. This near coal blackDefense is not good enough to contend for a National Championship and never will be.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The Shark had 7 snags for 51 yards and a TD. John Carlson had 6 for 38 and a score. Quinn was 27-37 for 232 and 3 TDs.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The Irish have the week off before playing at home against UCLA. They are ranked 8 and 9 right now. Is there a way they could move up spot or two in the polls this week?

They will probably stay in about the same spot until the USC game. Provided USC is undefeated or a one-loss team, a win would easily catapult ND into the top 6.

Don Wassall said:
I think we established last year that Gonzalez is Spanish, not a mestizo.  Here's a couple pics.  If someone said this guy's name is Bob Smith I don't think anyone would say he's not white.

11-anthony-gonzalez-150.jpg

269457.jpg

I am half Ukrainian and half Italian and I have darker skin than him. He looks like a "caucasoid" to me.
smiley4.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i hate Mel Kiper. but here is some info he's listing about Notre Dame's seniors and their position in the draft (i'll just post the white guys but you can follow the link for the whole list ...
PICKS OF THE LITTER
NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN breaks down the Notre Dame players he expects to be selected in April. Irish quarterback Brady Quinn is the No. 1 player on Kiper's Top 25 "big board."

Brady Quinn, 6-4, 233, QB: "He has all the components. Physically, he's ready. He already has the knowledge of a pro system. He's resilient, unflappable. The offensive struggles early on had everything to do with not having Maurice Stovall and Anthony Fasano. There's no reason why Quinn shouldn't be either the first or second overall pick."

Jeff Samardzija, 6-5, 216, WR: "If baseball weren't in the picture, being an early or mid-first-round pick would be guaranteed. He has unbelievable hands, great hand-eye coordination. He's good in the red zone. He can run. He has it all. Where he falls in the draft will depend on how many juniors declare. But there's no reason why he shouldn't be selected early."

Tom Zbikowski, 6-0, 216, S: "Just a tough, throwback type. He hits like a ton of bricks. He intimidates. He has tremendous straight-line speed, the knack to be in the right place at the right time. Plus, he has punt-return skills. He's a late first-rounder, at worst early second."

Derek Landri, 6-3, 283, DT: "He's an overachiever type, a hard worker who is very productive. He's solid, reliable and active. He can push the pocket. He shows up at key points to make an impact play. What will hurt him a little bit is his size. I see him being a second-day guy."

for the most part, very complimnetary. especially for the white-hating Kiper. but how can Z be agile and quick enough to be a punt-returner, and just have straight-line speed? and what about Landri's "over-acheiver" status? what makes him play better than he really is? hmmm... i could see if he had said he's already maxed out his potential, but "over-acheiving" is kinda like "looking faster than he is" like they say about Wes Welker.
smiley36.gif

there always has to be something unquantifiable that is negative, even if it's pulled out of a deep, dark, often-penetrated (i'm sure) orifice.
smiley11.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
even if it's pulled out of a deep, dark, often-penetrated (i'm sure) orifice.
smiley11.gif

Thats an instant classic Jimmy!
smiley32.gif
Oh man, if I hadn't saw your name by the post I would have thought it was a post by Bart!
smiley36.gif
Man, I laughed real good at that one. Thanks!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Another Notre Dame miracle! Quinn to Shark for 46 yds with 27 secs left for the win. Offense did not look good other then that. But its a big win.

G

Notre Dame is truly one of the luckiest teams I've ever seen so far in college football.

Philipj said:
Notre Dame is truly one of the luckiest teams I've ever seen so far in college football.

What Samardzija did on that play was a great combination of skill and talent. It's not like UCLA fumbled on their one yard line and let the Irish have it.

Give credit where credit is due. The Irish know how to win games, and they have great playmakers.