Not enough African-Americans

Bart

Hall of Famer
Another misleading horse manure article.

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/African-Americans-double- up-during-postseason;_ylt=AovRmBm1cI1HQh2my9xWW74RvLYF?urn=t op,112211[/url]

African-Americans double up during postseason

Is baseball's black glass half empty ... or just empty?

The diminishing number of African-American ballplayers has been well-chronicled. This season, only 8.2 percent of major league players were African-American, according to Richard Lapchick, the director of the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports, who has long chronicled and graded diversity trends. That's the lowest it has been in decades. (snip)

Skipperron

Guru
Even worse before one of the playoff games some black sideline reporter, for no reason, started yammering on about how there are not enough blacks in baseball, and boo hoo, last year they only had 8% and now this year have dropped to only 7%. then he went on to congratulate MLB for setting up urban academies and for telling teams that they MUST draft players from them. He felt this would eventually rectify the problem and then once more baseball could put a product on the field that we all could be proud of.

I was screaming at the set, that I will be happy on the day that a football sideline announcer comes on and addresses the lack of white players, or a basketball announcer does the same. Then those leagues can come up with a plan to make sure that we are more "represetative of the makeup of our great country" as well.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
skipperron: Your second paragraph is right on the money and is a perfect example of the MSM hypocrisy that this site is trying to address.

foreverfree

Mentor
Skipperron said:
Even worse before one of the playoff games some black sideline reporter, for no reason, started yammering on about how there are not enough blacks in baseball, and boo hoo, last year they only had 8% and now this year have dropped to only 7%. then he went on to congratulate MLB for setting up urban academies and for telling teams that they MUST draft players from them. He felt this would eventually rectify the problem and then once more baseball could put a product on the field that we all could be proud of.

"Urban academies" like "RBI" which they can't even abbreviate right
smiley5.gif
, which is why I won't spell it out. Should be called "RBIC" aka "Ribbick" or maybe "RBI City".

Or maybe "GYBODD", meaning "Git Yo' Black*** On Da Diamun"!
smiley36.gif

JohnEdited by: foreverfree

Skipperron

Guru
You know if the blacks just don't care about playing baseball, why do we have to fall over ourselves getting them to play?

I'm sorry. I just realized what a stupid question I just asked.
smiley2.gif

Rhodes1980

Maybe it's because they just plain "suck". They've already dominated basketball (bassaball) and football (fuhbole) , which used to be pre-dominantly white sports. What more do they want? So help me God if s**t ever hit the fan with hockey...that's ALL we have left.

It's f***ed up how WE have become the minorities in the sports in which we made grow into what it is. Makes me sick.
smiley7.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The dirty little secret that's never mentioned as a possibility for the lack of blacks is that history has shown that they just aren't very good at baseball. In the over 60 years since Saint Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, blacks enjoyed one relatively brief era of success in the sport at the professional level, from the mid 1960s through the early 1970s. Before then and ever since then it's been a much different story. That era was marked by numerous great power hitters and a few top pitchers.

Ernie Banks, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente and even Willie McCovey were relatively slender, strong but lean more than burly. Willie Stargell was more in the burly category but looked nothing like fat boys Fielder, Ortiz, and Sabathia. SinceStargell most black power hitters have been obese types who have to walk through doors sideways and who quickly decline as sumos are just not cut out to be home run hitters for the long term. The ones that did last, such as Bonds and Sosa, were obviously chemically enhanced. Ken Griffey Jr. may have been a rare exception. Dave Parker started off in shape but then after receiving his first big contract, overnight became a fat piggy who instantly declined dramatically from his former greatness.

Other than Bob Gibson and Ferguson Jenkins, there were virtually no star black pitchers during those glory days that blacks (and their weeping supporting army of emasculated and deracinated whites)constantly pine for. Vida Blue had a few good years but no durability. After 60 years of integration, the truth is that blacks are not better baseball players than whites and their 8 percent representation is fair, especially given the concentrated efforts MLB makes to recruit and draft them and to build academies specifically for them (and also for hispanics; only whites are denied such opportunities). If blacks are such wonderful athletes, just those who barely miss out on the NFL and NBA should be able with ease to make it in Major League Baseball -- not. It takes a skill set, especially excellent hand-eye coordination, to succed in baseball; blacks are known for poor hand-eye coordination on average. A good black American pitcher, where hand-eye coordination is paramount,is almost as rare as a good black hockey player.

It's a different story in batting, but other than the rare Tony Gwynn, hitting is dominated by whites and hispanics. Yeah there's Ryan Howard and his crappy batting average and 200 strikeouts, and superfat Prince Fielder, and obese David Ortiz, but none of them will have the durability to challenge any records unless they have the willpower to lose weight and prolong their career without noticeably affecting their power. So many talented "professional" black athletes seem more concerned with eating to their heart's content than being a finely tuned beast on the field of play.

speedster

Mentor
Black-Americans lack depth at other positions besides pitching.Terry Pendelton was the only good-fielding third sacker in the past 30 years.Catchers?Charles Johnson was good but he burned out quickly and there have not been any since.There used to be some pretty good first basemen in their heyday but these days blacks who play first are fat slobs who are butchers.I know,Derrek Lee won a gold glove last year but that was diversity at work because Todd Helton made just two errors and had a fielding % of .999 but didn't win.Hmmm.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Don,

Good points,

This has been a subject I've been interested in for some time. Peoples conditioning. Years ago, as you pointed out, blacks and people in general weren't as big as they are now. Now, we see people over muscled. It's my belief that when a man is in good condition, he's in no way built as men are today. Good condition is a lean sort of look built on a foudation of calisthenics, not weightlifting as you see today. Weight lifting leaves the body's musculature at a point of injury. The muscles are too developed. Too hard, coiled, not flexible, very much more prone to tearing and breaking under sharp blows or diferent motions.

I know you were referring to blacks and I agree with you on them. They exercise no control over their bodies and enjoy a very short time as a star and peter out quickly. I think Doc Gooden would have been a very short lived phenomina if he hadn't used drugs. People today say he went bad because of the drugs and I agree up to a point, but as you say, they have no staying power. He would have been done early I think if he hadn't used drugs. But at this point, our White guys aren't in as good condition as they should be either. It's rare anymore to see players go year in and year out without injury. This is entirely due to the weight conditioning going on today in my opinion. This is entirely due to the weight training.

Once people get back to the old concept of calisthenics and running, they'll do fine. Until then, performances will continue to decline.

Tom Iron...

Skipperron

Guru
I constantly hear kids of today talk about how much more athletic players are today. Big, muscular athletes. However, I agree with you guys. They are not that good and I feel they have over used the weights and conditioning.

In the old days players got jobs in the off season, usually hard jobs. When they showed in spring training they did some exercises but that was it. And yet they were loose and in shape. With a lot less injuries. Plus pitchers were used in 4 man rotations and threw a ton of more innings without half of the injuries of todays players. And no stupid pitch counts.