NFL News, Rumors and Musings

True about Kiko, and another difference between Us and Them. No one on blackafflete.com would call out a black player for making a dirty hit.

Westside

Hall of Famer
True about Kiko, and another difference between Us and Them. No one on blackafflete.com would call out a black player for making a dirty hit.
One thing great about Castefootball, is that we call it as we see, without the fake news filter. Really trying to wrap my brain around Kiko's mindset. Oh well, guess he will miss a game or two. Stupid.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From Weenieworld: Danny Woodhead (hamstring, injured reserve) has resumed practicing. It puts Woodhead on course to be activated when first eligible in Week 11. He'll be returning to a crowded backfield, but will likely blow by Buck Allen as the Ravens' pass-catching back. If you have a spare roster spot, it's not a bad time to stash Woodhead in PPR leagues.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Supposedly Clueless Hue is upset that the Browns did not trade for Garoppolo and now this:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns attempted to trade for Bengals No. 2 QB A.J. McCarron before Tuesday's deadline.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bengals actually believed a deal was done, but that the Browns ended up not approving it with the league. It's the first we've heard of McCarron since August, where his name was a mainstay in trade rumors. The Browns are casting a wide net at quarterback, but continue to lack decisiveness as they search for an answer under center. McCarron is headed for restricted free agency next offseason.

The Browns coaching staff push to find a QB versus the Browns Front Office not being active in signing one makes me think that one or both sides are going to be shown the door. It also shines a light that they realize they whiffed on Kizer (just like 100% of the sports media did when they called him a potential franchise QB). Hopefully wholesale changes are coming and new regimes mean new QBs. Rosen, Allen, Mayfield or Rudolph could all be candidates next year. They could also do the stupid thing and draft Lamar Jackson.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As expected the Patriots sign Brian Hoyer.

Brock Osweiler will start for the Broncos this week. I've never been a Trevor Siemian fan, in fact he reminds me of Hoyer -- competent enough but not someone you build a team around. Paxton Lynch was Denver's number one draft pick just last year, time to see what he can do when he's recovered from his shoulder injury.

Heretic

Master

Brock Osweiler will start for the Broncos this week. I've never been a Trevor Siemian fan, in fact he reminds me of Hoyer -- competent enough but not someone you build a team around. Paxton Lynch was Denver's number one draft pick just last year, time to see what he can do when he's recovered from his shoulder injury.
I agree, although I tend to favor Chad Kelly, even though he's an unknown at the NFL level as well. Since Lynch was a high draft pick, they really have to at least give him a strong look and an opportunity to prove himself over the course of several games, including next year. However, if Osweiler doesn't work out either, I hope they give Kelly a look as well.

Here's a pretty decent write up about Kelly from 10/26:

Should the Broncos Give Kelly a Shot?

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I agree, although I tend to favor Chad Kelly, even though he's an unknown at the NFL level as well. Since Lynch was a high draft pick, they really have to at least give him a strong look and an opportunity to prove himself over the course of several games, including next year. However, if Osweiler doesn't work out either, I hope they give Kelly a look as well.

One day I would like to see Kelly on the field to see if he can turn all of that talent into a high level performer in the NFL. I like the idea of him being not an option this year, though. I'm anxious to see what Lynch can do.

referendum

Mentor
A day after Griff Whalen is cut by Ravens, after a two week stint with them, Panthers sign Brenton Bersin, helping to keep the white WR ranks up in strength.

Westside

Hall of Famer
So......Sieman of Denver is demoted after three straight losses but has 3 wins for 1/2 of the season. Kizer on the other hand with 7 losses for 1/2 of the season for da Browns is still the starter with eternal upside. Weird huh as JC would say. Lurkers, this is black priviledge and how the caste system operates.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

I agree with Don, I was rooting for Semian - he throws one of the nicest balls in the NFL but we have probably seen his ceiling hit - a really good number 2/spot starter type. Lynch needs to get some playing time this year, I think he will once he is healthy. He played pretty well last year - I remember his game vs. Tampa Bay in which he led them to a win. Kelly is a wildcard for sure and I am eager to see him to be honest - I really liked his style of play at Ole Miss but I think Lynch will establish himself.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Weenieworld blaming the offensive woes of the Panthers on McCaffrey. No mention of Jonathan Stewart or Scam being an erratic thrower:

Panthers GM Marty Hurney said on Wednesday the Kelvin Benjamin trade was executed in an effort to "clear out the box" and allow the "run game to flourish".

Considering Devin Funchess, Russell Shepard, and Curtis Samuel are now the Panthers' main receivers, the run game figures to become more prominent, and maybe Carolina will use more two-tight end sets with Ed Dickson and Greg Olsen when Olsen comes back from his ankle injury. Christian McCaffrey has been a major disappointment after being taken No. 8 overall. He's not making anyone miss as a runner as evidenced by his 1.65 yards after contact per attempt, which ranks dead last among 43 qualified running backs at Pro Football Focus. Big-bodied Benjamin was running a lot of routes close to the line of scrimmage, and the Panthers want to get things spread out more. They need McCaffrey to step it up.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Weenieworld blaming the offensive woes of the Panthers on McCaffrey. No mention of Jonathan Stewart or Scam being an erratic thrower:

Panthers GM Marty Hurney said on Wednesday the Kelvin Benjamin trade was executed in an effort to "clear out the box" and allow the "run game to flourish".

Considering Devin Funchess, Russell Shepard, and Curtis Samuel are now the Panthers' main receivers, the run game figures to become more prominent, and maybe Carolina will use more two-tight end sets with Ed Dickson and Greg Olsen when Olsen comes back from his ankle injury. Christian McCaffrey has been a major disappointment after being taken No. 8 overall. He's not making anyone miss as a runner as evidenced by his 1.65 yards after contact per attempt, which ranks dead last among 43 qualified running backs at Pro Football Focus. Big-bodied Benjamin was running a lot of routes close to the line of scrimmage, and the Panthers want to get things spread out more. They need McCaffrey to step it up.

P1$$ on those wiener eaters. Chalk up his rushing woes to sumos Williams & Turner sandbagging on run blocking when CM gets a carry. No doubt there’s an intent to nullify CM as a RB...in order to further perpetuate the caste system.

PHillisFan

Master
Supposedly Clueless Hue is upset that the Browns did not trade for Garoppolo and now this:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns attempted to trade for Bengals No. 2 QB A.J. McCarron before Tuesday's deadline.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bengals actually believed a deal was done, but that the Browns ended up not approving it with the league. It's the first we've heard of McCarron since August, where his name was a mainstay in trade rumors. The Browns are casting a wide net at quarterback, but continue to lack decisiveness as they search for an answer under center. McCarron is headed for restricted free agency next offseason.

The Browns coaching staff push to find a QB versus the Browns Front Office not being active in signing one makes me think that one or both sides are going to be shown the door. It also shines a light that they realize they whiffed on Kizer (just like 100% of the sports media did when they called him a potential franchise QB). Hopefully wholesale changes are coming and new regimes mean new QBs. Rosen, Allen, Mayfield or Rudolph could all be candidates next year. They could also do the stupid thing and draft Lamar Jackson.

Clueless Hue was so sure Kizer was his franchise guy. This attempted trade was an omission of admitting he was wrong. Maybe it worked out for the best because who knows what calamity awaited McCarron in Cleveland.

PHillisFan

Master

Kelly has the pedigree and superior talent compared to Lynch and Oz.
As long as Kelly can quit the wigger act and keep focused he will be fine. The pieces will fall into place.
Elway probably promised Jim Kelly he would give his nephew a fair shot once healthy.

PHillisFan

Master

Jonathan Stewart gets a pass.

RTTAS

Guru
Apparently the Packers made an attempt to sign Hoyer but, obviously, they couldn’t get him which is a shame as instead of having Hoyer play in relief of Rodgers’ injury they have to stick with Hundley unless he gets hurt or throws 5 picks and they change to Callahan.

Heretic

Master
Chad Kelly headed to injured reserve

Chad Kelly will not play a down of football this season, nor will he practice for much longer.

Broncos coach Vance Joseph confirmed Wednesday that the rookie quarterback will be placed on injured reserve in the not-so-distant future.

“Well, simple numbers or his health," Joseph explained when asked why Kelly is headed to IR. "He’s had two injuries that he’s rehabbed hard from. He went today a little bit in practice. It was just OK. That has to happen by Monday. It’s almost clear with Chad.”

For the first time since the spring, Kelly was on the field with the Broncos, taking reps alongside Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch. It represented significant progress for the seventh-round draft pick after he battled his way back from offseason knee and wrist surgeries.

I don't want to cheer anyone's injury but this will give an opportunity to whitey. Can't really be sad about it either.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Sounds like Lynch is going to get some starts for Denver this season. I wouldn't be surprised to the Broncos trade Semien in the offseason and keep Osweiler, Lynch and Kelly. I am sure they could fetch a 3rd/4th rounder for Semien from a QB needy team. I like Semien and he is a great story but it looks like he has hit his ceiling as a middle of the road starting QB/ideal number 2 QB. I think Osweiler would be a good mentor for Lynch (he was under Manning's tutelage from 2012-2015) and physically both Lynch and Osweiler are rather similar. Kelly is a wild card - I can't wait to see him healthy for next year.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Paxton Lynch (shoulder) "could start" Week 10 against the Patriots.

Denver likely wanted to turn to Lynch this week, but he is still recovering from a shoulder injury he suffered in the third preseason game. Brock Osweiler will get the nod against the Eagles, a game in which he will almost certainly struggle. Once Lynch is healthy enough to play, he should take over the starting job. Lynch has not shown much in his short career to suggest he will be a great fantasy option, but he is worth adding in deep two-quarterback formats.

Tannehill17

Mentor
Watson is electing not to have surgery on his ACL. What I want to ask is why? He had knee issues coming out of college and for him not to get surgery just seems like an asinine decision. Did he not see what happened to the Gremlin? For all the caste media fellatio they've been performing on this guy, his career could be over before it even started.