NFL Network A Football Life: Season 2

The NFL Network's series, "A Football Life," premiere episode for Season 2 will be "The Many Faces of Tim Tebow." It first appears on Wednesday night at 8pm ET.

Five former QBs (Joe Namath, Doug Flutie, Steve Young, Roger Staubach, and Kordell Stewart) will give their opinions.

Later episodes will have profiles of Ray Lewis, Jimmy Johnson, Eddie DeBartolo Jr., Marcus Allen, Barry Sanders, Chris Spielman, Steve McNair, and Tom Coughlin.

There will be programs on The Immaculate Reception of 1972 and the 1995 Cleveland Browns. Another will be on the Los Angeles Rams Fearsome Foursome (Jones, Olsen, Grier, and Lundy).

If anyone cares, tonight at 8pm ET, "A Football Life" features Ray Lewis. It runs for the rest of the week. Next week it will be Tom Coughlin.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Although I am not a fan of Ray Lewis and his antics and posturing, it might be an interesting show assuming that they focus on his play rather than all of the other stuff. Like him or hate him, he is a deserved future HOF linebacker. His game preparation is admirable, and he has excellent technique in his tackling skills, particularly against the run. I have used some of this in coaching youth linebackers to be fearless.

Tom Coughlin is the subject tonight (Wednesday) at 8pm ET and the rest of the week. Next week it will be the 1995 Cleveland Browns.

The program portrayed Coughlin as a typical football-obsessed coach with tunnel vision. One thing worth noting is that when Coughlin was between head coaching jobs, he would go to the NFL combine with a stop watch and time the prospects doing the 40-yard dash. The coaches concern themselves with the 40 time above everything else.

When Coughlin became the Giant coach in 2004, the team drafted his son-in-law, OG Chris Snee. The team's GM, Ernie Accorsi, made the decision and Coughlin agreed.

Coughlin's wife always made the family decisions such as what house to buy and schools for the children.

Last edited:
The episode for tonight at 8pm ET and the rest of the week is about the 1995 Cleveland Browns and the "talented staff who rose from the ashes."

Next week it is the "Fearsome Foursome" of the 1960's LA Rams.

Tonight's episode is "Fearsome Foursome": "The life and times of arguably the greatest defensive line in football history."

Next week will be: "The life and legacy of the late, great Steve McNair."

Wisdom

I saw the last two shows. They are very well done. I wanted to puke during the Cleveland '95 one (guess where I'm from), not because it wasn't good but because of reliving it. I loved the one on the Fearsome Foursome.

The Steve McNair episode premieres tonight (Wednesday) on the NFL Network and runs the rest of the week.

white is right

Hall of Famer
The Steve McNair episode premieres tonight (Wednesday) on the NFL Network and runs the rest of the week.
I actually found the story to be entertaining. Ps I found the age spread of his children rather amusing. I guess they couldn't gloss over his gomar pulling a fatal attraction on him but his philandering was glossed over...:grin::scared:

Former LB Chris Spielman is the subject of tonight's (Wednesday) episode, running the rest of the week. Next week is an all-time favorite: Jimmy Johnson.

Tonight, the NFL Network features Jimmy Johnson. Next week has a rerun of the Ray Lewis episode.

Later in the year there will be shows concerning Marcus Allen and Barry Sanders.

There is still another upcoming "A Football Life" show CF members should find very interesting.

The John Riggins episode premieres tonight (Wednesday) on the NFL Network at 8 pm ET and runs the rest of the week.

Deus Vult

Mentor
The John Riggins episode premieres tonight (Wednesday) on the NFL Network at 8 pm ET and runs the rest of the week.

Nice little documentary on Riggins. Best part was on how he was being (mis)used as a blocking back. When Joe Gibbs took over as Redskins' HC, Riggins' pro career was re-ignited. Gibbs let him run the ball...

white is right

Hall of Famer
The Riggins doc. showed that a player's standing in the game is largely in his coaches hands. Going from a bell cow back to a blocking back was all done on stereotyping and not production as he had his best years seemingly past his physical "prime". Also it seemed like athleticism ran his family as his brother was a notch smaller and slower than he was.

chris371

Mentor
The John Riggins episode was a joy to watch, not only an amazing combo of speed and power, but an interesting character of the field. Certainly no buffoon like the majority of todays affletes. His use of the english language in interviews is refreshing. he words his retirement as " I hereby resign as the Fullback from the above mentioned corporation"- i find it refreshingly honest that he refers to the Redskins as a corporation- he doesnt act like its something morally superior to play football like most people do. Intelligent, interesting and tough guy this riggins. Id like to have met him in his youth

[video=youtube;rUlgf8pSPtQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUlgf8pSPtQ[/video]

Last edited:

backrow

Hall of Famer
haha, Chris you sound like you'd ask him out had you met him back then! :heh:

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
The Barry Sanders episode premieres tonight (Wednesday) and runs the rest of the week.
Although I normally don't care to watch black-player-focused shows, I'll tune in (or at least record for later viewing) this one, as Sanders was an exceptional player, black or white.