Michael "Italian Stallion" Tumi

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's time to start a thread for the "Italian Stallion" Michael Tumi. He has broken the italian indoor 60 meters national record twice in the last
three weeks. First he ran a 6.53. Then for an encore today he won the Italian National Champs running a new record of 6.51! That is beyond fast and he has the 2nd fastest time in the world now. Faster than Blake, Clakes, Rogers and others. The fastest time is a 6.50 so he can easily beat it the next time out. What a fantastic performance by this dynamic young sprinter. This summer is going to be great and he just may be the first italian sprinter to go sub 10! Here is the video from today with his record setting win. Look at the margin of victory and remember this is in a 60 meters where you rarely see guys lose by this much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfO3deKDiC8

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is his progression over the last several years for those who are interested. The true test will come when the outdoor season starts.

Michael Tumi COUNTRY
ItalyDATE OF BIRTH

12 FEB 1990

Share PERSONAL BESTSPROGRESSIONHONOURSPersonal Best - Outdoor
Performance Wind Place Date 100 Metres 10.44 +1.4 Gavardo 22 MAY 2010
100 Metres 10.44 -0.2 Zürich 08 SEP 2011
200 Metres 22.08 +1.0 Busto Arsizio 10 JUN 2007
Personal Best - Indoor
Performance Wind Place Date
50 Metres 5.76 Liévin 14 FEB 2012
60 Metres 6.51 Ancona 17 FEB 2013

Progression - Outdoor
100 Metres
2011 10.44 -0.2 Zürich 08 SEP
2010 10.44 +1.4 Gavardo 22 MAY
2007 10.84 +0.1 Ostrava 11 JUL
200 Metres
2007 22.08 +1.0 Busto Arsizio 10 JUN
Progression - Indoor
50 Metres
2012 5.76 Liévin 14 FEB
60 Metres
2013 6.51 Ancona 17 FEB
2012 6.64 Ancona 26 FEB
2011 6.71 Paris (Bercy) 05 MAR
2011 6.71 Ancona 20 FEB
2010 6.82 Udine 23 JAN

100 Metres
Rank Mark Wind Place Date
5th IAAF World Youth Championships 6qf3 11.05 -0.3 Ostrava 11 JUL 2007

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I noticed in this 6.51 race from yesterday that Michael leaned way too early for the finish line. He actually leaned for 2 to 2 1/2 strides which easily cost him some valuable time. He could have run a 6.48 easily in my opinion. Even more remarkable. I really would love to see him join Morne Nagel in the 6.40's club. So it is rare territory indeed if he can get there!

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's time to bump the Michael Tumi Thread back towards the top of the list. He will run his first 100 meters races of the summer this sunday may, 19th. There is a lot of excitement in Italy as to what type of opening time he might run. I will be very modest with my prediction. His coach wants him to peak in July and August not May. Therefore I will say he opens with around a 10.20 - 10.24 time range with good weather and a normal or no wind reading. I hope he runs a little faster but the 100 is way different from the 60 and he is no where near top shape yet.

If he were to open up with a sub 10.15, then the sky is the limit but I don't see that kind of time just yet. Hopefully just around the corner.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Michael Tumi opens up his outdoor season with a 10.19 with 0.1 wind on a cold rainy day! Pretty close to my prediction. He is looking good for being very early in the season. I want to see him go sub 10.10 in his next race or two. I have another nickname for him.

Michael "Tuminator"

LMAO. Great start for this kid. Here is the full article about todays opening race.

http://www.atleticanet.it/component...-gavardo-torna-tumi-ed-e-spettacolo-1019.html

Last edited:

albinosprint

Mentor
impressive time for bad conditions!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm pumped for tommorows diamond league race in Rome, Italy. They are giving a big tribute to the late great P. Mennea. What a legend he was. I still don't think I have ever seen such a skinny guy ever run so fast over both the 100 & 200 meters. Incredible talent!

What a special day it will be for all of Italy.

I'm a huge Michael Tumi fan and I see him going sub 10.10 tommmorow!

I will make the first prediciton. I see him running a time of around 10.08 tommorow! Let's see who can get the closest to the right time? My only worry is that he will be so hyped up with adrenalene that he might false start or get out of blocks late due to being tight. He needs to stay relaxed. Hard to do when your lining up in a race with Usain Bolt in it!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Michael Tumi looked very average today. I haven't seen the race yet but I would be willing to bet that neves got the best of him. He had a really good reaction time but something was wrong. I can only assume that he tried to hard which always leads to a sprinter tightning up and slowing down. The key to running fast is to be as relaxed as possilbe. He will learn from this race. I feel bad for the kid as it was on his home soil. Tumi will rebound very soon. Even the best lose. Usain Bolt got beat today in the same race. Things happen. Michael Tumi just needs to forget about this race and start focusing on the next one.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm disappointed in the way Tumi has run this season just like the rest of you but I put part of the blame on his coach. He has raced the kid more than anyone should ever do. He has looked fatigued in many of his races so I think it boils down to a couple of problems. One he is probably training the kid too hard. Shirvos coach did this year after year and it caused Matt Shirvington to get hurt on many occasions. Even when he wasn't hurt, it affected his perfomances many times. I have seen many interviews and articles discussing this. Once you get into the summer season, you have to know how to give a guy enough rest from training sessions and also know not to over race him.

Tumi has all the talent in the world for the short sprint. His biggest weakness is in my opinion his speed endurance. Rest him and also in training have him run more 150's to help him finish races stroinger. He is so smooth and powerful. The times will come as long as he is rested and healthy. I'm hoping for a descent time this weekend in England against a very high level of competition. Maybe Vicaut can help pull him to a new p.b.

Good luck to him. He is such a likeable kid. Let's show them your heels Mike. You can do it!:becky: