Matt Jones to Jax

bigman

Guru
So I watch the clips and basically scratch my head in disbelief at what I am seeing.. utterly mind numbing athleticism, speed and raw talent...... wonder why isnt this kid staying at QB... .. I start to think about what some of the guys on this site have said about the pervasiveness of the bias....remember someone mentioning how the media is so skeptical and biased against white "athletes" ... So last night Im at the airport and decide to thumb through one of the "typical" Football magazinesin a kiosk near the gate .. it was a special edition on the NFL draft and I page to the WR section and look for Matt Jones and read the description and my jaw drops on the floor as he is basically described as a big slow unathletic version of Joe Jerivicius... It dawns on me that these editors and sports journalists dont know anything.. they probably dont even watch much football... they are simply PChacks with an agenda that is hard wired into their minds... there is no hope.. I will never ever buy one of those rags after what I saw..... I think it was the "SportingNews"... what garbage.. it is racist trash.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
You are 100% right bigman.They still have many doubts
about this kid.He doesn't really have a real postition
and blah,blah,blah.Anyone that watches those clips can
see he is possibly one of the greatest running football
players of all time for his size.He runs like a gazelle
with those long strides.He is the real deal and will
torture d-backs,corners & safties with his raw speed.
I can't wait for football!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Check out this little nugget from a fantasy football site about Jones: "His underdeveloped frame at over 240 pounds, combined with a lack of quickness and outright speed, may all add up to Jones eventually finding a home at tight end. . . he's not going to be a deep threat, so it's not like he'll help them by being a vertical threat."

That came out just the other day. If the author went and watched that lengthy highlight clip at the Jags' site he undoubtedly would still write the exact same thing, so deeplyentrenched are the biases against white football players. And it's from a site that I actually find to be quite good when it comes to fantasy football -- except when it comes to fairly evaluating white players, an area in which they're all bad.

bigunreal

Mentor
I hope Jones fares better than Marc Boerigter has. The Chiefs' WR is
6'3, and probably almost as fast as Jones. During the last part of his
rookie season a few years ago, Boerigter exploded during the final
handful of games, scoring an incredible 8 TDs on only 20 receptions,
and averaging a stunning 21 yards per catch, including a record-tying
99 yard TD. Even though the Chiefs had two old, run-of-the-mill WRs
starting, Boerigter was somehow unable to beat them out the following
season. Hmmm. Bigger, faster, and shows an ability to make big plays.
What is he lacking? Without the Caste System, Marc Boerigter would be a
star.

SteveB

Mentor
That's the mantra. Look in any magazine or listen to any so called "expert" and almost everyone of them will describe any white WR as a "possesion receiver that runs good routes." Back in the early 90's there was a kid that played for the Univ. of Texas name Justin McLemore. He was the state champion 110 hurdler for 4 years in a row in high school and ran a 10.5 sec 100 meters. When he got to UT he was a four year starter at WR. Every expert and commentator described him as a "possesion receiver" throughout his college career. I wondered if any of these guys ever actually watched him play. Amazing.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just got done watching the highlight reel again of
Matt Jones.I just don't know how to put into words how
incredible an athlete he is.He does moves out there
that break the defenders ankles.His stride length is
incredible.It's like he's running on the moon or
something.LOL.This kid is a sure pick to be a star.All
Byron has to do is to make him the star receiver.Matt
will make any qb look good.I see him possibly making
the Pro Bowl the first year out.He is that good and he
has never played the position!Man oh man is this kid
amazing.I will have to watch the Jags play alot this
season.Good luck to Jones!

BigLX

Matt jones is still a awfully young, andlacks the experience to be taken seriously..I think you guys are putting way too much hype on him. first of all heisnt close to beingquarter-back material, well, atleast not NFL quarter-back material, that bieng said, i thinkhe is better suitedfor playingrunning back, but then again, what if he gotpermanently injured?..i bet you guys wouldstart ranting and raving about himbeing "sabotaged", right??...I think he might be a good running back but his age is what worries me.......as far as wide resiever goes, let me just say matt jonesisnt "hip" with the hips.....

ANYWAYS.

As i said, matt jones is WAAAYYY too young to be taken seriously...let us see what he brings to the table, better yet, let us see if hell still bealive in 5-10 years time.....

LX

Gary

Mentor
Elvis was hip with his "hips" does that mean he could play wide reciever?Tom Jones had better hips then Jerry Rice!
smiley32.gif

whiteCB

Master
I think most of us in here would applaud a coach for running a white RB. Although Matt is way too big to be a RB so why you even bring that up is a mystery. Drew Bennett and Kevin Johnson are fine examples of college QBs switching to WR and doing great. It probably will take a couple of years for Jones to get good at WR but it will be well worth the wait. And you say he isn't "hip with the hips" how the heck do you explain all the QB 50 yard scrambles he performed in college? BigLX what is your problem?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I suggest that BigLX watches the extended highlight reel
at the Jacsonville Jaguars Website.It's almost 10 minutes
long.The cuts he makes are almost impossible for a big
man.He is a natural runner and just has a excellent
feel for the game.I say he makes an impact right away.
I will predict that he gets at least 700-800 yards
receiving in his first season.He is that good!

JD074

Master
Yeah guys, Jones is too young. We should always be skeptical of young white athletes. Only talented young black players can be fully embraced by the fans, media, and the corporate world- no questions asked.

smiley21.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Jaguars official site no longer has that great highlight film of Matt's big plays. Probably too many people viewing it.
smiley2.gif

Did anyone save it? I should have but didn't think of it. If anyonehas itplease let me know.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's back on the Jags' site now. Would be a good idea to save it while you can.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Don, you could always ask a Jags fan on their message board if you lose it. They can be helpful.
smiley1.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I have it saved now, thanks Bear-Arms. As amazing as that highlight reel is -- Vick only wishes he was that good at VA Tech -- let's hope it's merely the table-setter for what's to come in the NFL. I gotta admit, I'm feeling a bit nervousknowing the Caste System andseeing Chase Lyman and his 30 yards per catch reception averageinstantly go down with the coal-black Saints. If Jack Del Rio wants his number one pick to fulfill his immense talent, he best treat him well and build up his confidence in every way.

bigman

Guru
well is that a highlight film for the ages... I think it is clear that the media is totally in the dark .. but the football coaches are not... this kid was grabbed early for a reason. He could play any position on the field.. I think he could have been an exceptional QB but would that have been the best place for his otherworldly athleticism.. as a QB in the NFL he would have to transform himself into a thinking and throwing QB.. that is a very difficult position to play.. He could make a great RB, TE is not a stretch... TE is a very difficult position to fill and when you get a stud like this guy wth that kind of speed and athleticism you could imagine a coach finding more ways to get him the ball as a TE.

In the end WR is a good place... but this kid is more football player than the WR position is designed for..... He really is just an immense talent and getting him the ball in different ways is going to be a challenge for the Jags.... would TE/HB have been a better plan...one thing for sure.. this guy is not a player you fit into a position.. you rather build positions for him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
One of the few good things about Jones going to the
Jaguars is that Jimmy Smith is old.He has been in the
nfl for 12 years now.Hopefully within a year,Jones can
replace him as the number 1 go to guy & deep threat!

Bigman is right on in my opinion. If I were the coach and the owners would let me, I would build a option offense around this guy. Back in the day before single back backfields were the norm, he would have made a perfect slot-back. Part RB, part WR, part TE. He would even be able to throw out of that formation if need be. I don't think defenses could stop that right now.

They will stick him in as a KR probably and a once in awhile WR. I would be totally p.o.'d if they made him a TE. With that kind of speed and height advantage, you need to break him loose. Put him on short CB's and run them till they puke.

SteveB

Mentor
The problem with Jones as an option QB is what happens if he gets hurt? Who is going to back him up? All it takes is one lineman rolling over his knee and Jax is screwed. He will dominate at WR.

SteveB, I submit to you another option style QB/WR type....Eric Crouch. If you ever watched this kid play in college, you would see why he won the Heisman. Both of these young men could be developed into fearsome weapons IMHO. They run, pass, catch. In addition, put them in as place holders on field goal attempts and make defenses nervous. Hey, there is also Randall el Antwaan. That kid is pretty fast. Watched him throw some off of pitchouts.

I am just dreaming here, but option offenses are a kick to watch. Some smaller colleges run things like the single wing and double wing. Makes for a fast, unpredictable offense.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The NFL is such a copycat league, both when it comes to style of play and the racial makeup of its teams. Jones could be a breakthrough in both departments. Randle El is too short to play QB effectively; Crouch was the wrong skin color and not tall.

There's no obvious drawbacks with Jones, except that his head coach believes only blacks can play football, including Leftwich as the starter. Del Rio's "problem" is whether he will stick to thestatusquo of how players are usedby race and position, or will he be innovative in using this potentially unstoppable new weapon he has.

SteveB

Mentor
I agree with you guys about the option offense as an effective scheme. I played with a great option QB named Bucky Richardson at Texas A&M back in the late 80s and early 90s. We couldn't be stopped. The problem is QB durability. Bucky blew his knee out and we had to totally switch offenses because the backup QB was more of a passing QB. The college game is totally different than the pros. In college, you can have a 100+ man roster whereas in the pros only 53. In the pros, the guys are bigger, faster, and hit harder. In the option game, the QB is going to get hit on every play. The option QB's career will be about 2.5 years on average in the NFL (same as running backs). Kind of hard to justify paying the QB the high salaries for a 2.5 year career.

bigman

Guru
great points all... the facts and reality are that the option QB is not a pro-football set and will not be for a very very long time and not without major changes in the entire personnel structure of the league and organization... it just is not going to happen. But fundamentally it really is just asking too much of the QB position. For a QB to be the brain of the offense and also the belly that the defense focuses its biggest punches on is not a strategy for a versatile, flexible and adaptive offense. it is far more effective and efficient to move those risks out on the field to more dimeadozen roles like WR and RB.

... back to Jones.. he is an immense talent, but he has never played a position where he has to train his speed.. you can tell by watching him run that he is all raw athleticism... my guess is that once he gets into a speed training program you are going to see this kid operate at a much higher level than even those highlights suggest...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think you are probably right bigman. He has what it takes to be a record breaker, if nothing happens to his health, and if he is given a chance to perform.