Marshall Goldberg, RIP

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Probably very few football fans today have ever heard of Marshall Goldberg, who was an All-American running back at Pitt (Heisman runner-up in '38) and then an All-Pro DB in the NFL. Goldberg died on Monday at the age of 88. There seems to be very little interest in old-time football players, perhaps because they played before the "affletes" came to dominate the sport. Goldberg played so long ago that there were not only white running backs then but Jewish ones as well.

Goldberg served in the Navy during WWII and became a successful business owner after his playing days were over. Not an atypical football player for his time. Reminds me a bit of Byron "Whizzer" White, a Heisman winner who went on to become a Supreme Court Justice.

How many football players of such character are there today? The late Pat Tillman and a few others. Alan Page became a justice on the Minnesota Supreme Court, but for everyfootball playerlike him there arehundreds ofothers with a criminal record. Making the great sport of football artificially dominated by blacks has taken a lot of character out of the game, just as it has been taken out of society as a whole in the frenzy by the ruling class to make this a non-white land.

Freedom

Mentor
I know your politics are different, but Jack Kemp had a strong political career.

Jay Berwanger, great story. He won the first Heisman Trophy but refused to play in the NFL for less than $30,000 a year. He was not signed by George Halas. He went on to start a multi million dollar rubber foam business. Sadly, University of Chicago built a library over their football field(dismantling their Big-10 program) and years later started a division III program.

Honestly, I think big time schools don't want a talented athlete to spend much time on academics and professional careers. With the amount of time required to play D-IA ball, its almost impossible to get become a top student without help. They're practicing 5 or 6 hours a day in the SPRING. Even D3 has unofficial recruiting. USC or Miami views their athletes as minor leaguers and not guys using football to get an education(which is what it should be). What about STEROIDS?

There are some guys with character though. I think you can go by their major sometimes as far as academics go. Craig Krenzel of Ohio State(did he play for Chicago), I think I saw him struggle on Thanksgiving. He was pre-med. Ben Watson, or so I heard, actually got an engineering degree at Duke, probably not a gimme. Danny Kendra is another name I found. He became a navy seal. Kyle Eckel. Peyton Manning cheers for butchers
smiley1.gif

Doug Flutie.

Did Michael Jordan, the ultimate in media, black supremacy symbols, and shoe deals, ever actually do anything bad?
Lots of guys build successful careers from the NFL.
Edited by: Freedom

During my childhood, when I would read an article about the great college football players of the past, Marshall Goldberg's name would be mentioned.

Speaking of Byron White, I once heard an interview with a writer who had written a book about the Supreme Court. He stated that if you had met both Byron White and John F. Kennedy when they were both young, you would have picked White to become President. White was sometimes invited to run for office, but always declined. He would say that he could never compromise on a principle and was uncomfortable with representing other views than his own. (See the 1998 biography titled, The Man Who Was Whizzer White)

Nile Kinnick, the Iowa Heisman winner for 1939, actually intended a political career, but died in a training flight during WWII. Regarding Jack Kemp, when a Presidential candidate in 1988, or a VP nominee in 1996, he was a dud. On top of this, Kemp has long been as big a proponent of nonwhite immigration as there is in public life.

Roger Staubach had a great pro career after Navy, and, since his retirement from the NFL, he has built a real estate company that has significant holdings across the country. Brilliant guy.