Mark Ellis

moose

Guru
mark ellis the 2009 ncaa heavyweight wrestling champion will be fighting mma very soon. Mark is 6'4 and 250 lbs.

hawkeye

Guru
I'm glad to see Ellis making the trasition to mma I think he has more of a future their. He finished sixth this year but it was mainly due to the fact that he tried out for the football team and gained a lot of weight. H e completely changed his whole training routine and it resulted in him having a tough start. He still was and all- american this year.
I wonder if he'll be training with Ben Askren at American Top Team.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hawkeye, I like seeing wrestlers "go pro" into MMA, as it's a natural progression for many of them. The wrestling is obviously there, and they usually can pick up BJJ pretty well...the big question is how good is their chin. Even if they can pick up striking well, a glass chin won't lead to success in MMA (beyond the bush-leagues).

I'm very impressed by the Askren brothers, and hope Max joins Ben in MMA (post college). I'd also like to see (former UFC fighter & OSU National Champ) Jake Rosholt's younger brother Jared (who finished 2nd this year at HW for the Cowboys) enter MMA. Jake & Jared have a younger brother (Blake) who's also a OSU wrestler. The Rosholt boys' sister Jesyca was a standout soccer player at OSU. Talk about an athletic family!
smiley1.gif

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

hawkeye

Guru
Both Mark Ellis and Lance Palmer have signed with mma training facilities. Lance Palmer who wrestled at 149 finished 2nd in the NCAA finals last year as a member of the Ohio State Buckeyes. Palmer is a four time All-American and has been training at Team Alpha-Male with Uriah Faber. Mark Ellis who was recently cut by the Cleveland Browns, was an NCAA nations champion at heavyweight in 2009 with the Missouri Tigers. After a slow start this year he finished sixth in the finals lossing to Jared Rosholt. Ellis will be training with American Top Team. Ellis is expected to make his debut in October. Thier is also talk that Jared Zabriskie of Iowa State, this years heavyweight champ, might also try MMA after he too was cut by the Cleveland Browns.

Howard

Guru
America is in a transforming from a 1st world nation into a 3rd world nation so I would imagine more Whites will try and become pro athletes because there will always be money there. Since MMA is the only sport I am passionate about I hope these wretlers go their.But let's not forget about these young Whites that compete in the striking arts. As much as I like ground and pound there is nothing like a head kick KO. Hopefully Whites that compete in Boxing and Kickboxing catch the MMA bug.

hawkeye

Guru
Just announced Jared Rosholt has signed with Team Takedown.Rosholt was the NCAA runner up in the heavyweight divisionlast year, and finished third the year before. Jared is the younger brother of former National Champ and UFC fighter Jake Rosholt. Jared is much bigger than his brother coming in at about 280lbs he also stands 6'4. Jared has a chance to be another Brock Lesnar.

They are not the only wrestling family to get involved in Max Askren, Ben's younger brother has also expressed interest in tring MMA after his brother won Bellator. Joe Ellenberger, Jake Ellenberger's twin brother is 10-0 in MMA. There is also a chance that the youngest Rosholt, who is a freshman at Oklahoma State could also do MMA when he graduates.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hawkeye, thanks for the updates partner. The Rosholt family is full of athletes. I'll pull for Jared to tear it up on the MMA scene. These stand-out college wrestlers transition well to MMA, as they're great athletes & tough as nails.