Marino supports Williams’ possible return

Bear-Arms

Mentor
WESTON, Fla. - So far, Dan Marino likes what he sees from new Miami coach Nick Saban. And if Saban decides Ricky Williams' return is good for the Dolphins, then count Marino as a supporter of the move.

Marino said Tuesday that he believes the Dolphins could eventually get past the Williams retirement saga that played a role in sending the proud franchise to one of its worst seasons, a 4-12 last season. Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, has said his client plans to be with Miami for training camp this summer.

"Everybody forgives people. So over time, I guess you'd probably want him back and understand that he's had some problems," said Marino, the Dolphins' quarterback for 17 seasons. "At the time, it's tough because you're going into a season that was made very difficult for a lot of people who've been working so hard."

Williams retired unexpectedly shortly before training camp last summer. Without him, the Dolphins averaged just 17.2 points and 275 yards per game - their worst production since 1969.

In his two seasons with Miami, Williams rushed for 3,225 yards, including an NFL-best 1,853 in 2002.

"People make mistakes all the time," Marino said. "You can't condemn him for life."

Marino's summer will be busy with things like charity obligations and family vacations. His oldest son Daniel is heading off to study theater at a small school in North Carolina this fall. There's also the small matter of his pending induction to the Pro Football Hall of Fame - Marino hasn't started his acceptance speech yet.

Yet his mind never travels too far from the Dolphins, the team he starred for and later served briefly as an executive for before deciding that the job would take too much time away from his family.

Marino said he thinks Saban has made some good moves to this point.

"He's the guy that's in charge," Marino said Tuesday as a sculptor visited his home to continue preparing his Hall of Fame bust. "The thing about it is, he's won everywhere he's been. I think he's doing it the right way. Over time, obviously, you'll see how it goes by winning and losing. But I think he's done a great job so far."

When Marino left the Dolphins after the 1999 season, his NFL records included 4,967 completions, 8,358 passes, 61,361 yards and 420 touchdowns. His single-season record of 48 touchdown passes was broken in 2004 by Indianapolis' Peyton Manning.

Marino was the 1984 league MVP, made three All-Pro teams and nine Pro Bowls - but never won a Super Bowl. Some of his other NFL records include most seasons with 3,000 yards or more passing (13); most yards passing in one season (5,084 in 1984); and most games with 300 yards or more passing (63).

Marino flourished under the high pressure and demands South Florida puts on the Dolphins, but he sounds hopeful that Saban isn't expected to complete his Miami rebuilding project right away.

"When you have a new coach, you have to buy into the program and he has his ideas of what he wants to do," Marino said. "If everybody believes in him and they execute that, and if people are patient - which I think sometimes South Florida fans aren't - and people buy into his program, they're going to win."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There would be no forgiveness for a white running back who had done what Ricky did -- not from the media, not from the organization he played for, not from his teammates, and not from the fans. He would have been subjected to non-stop hate and ridicule from all corners. He would be "condemned for life."

Marinohas become fabulously wealthy not only because of his great talentand success as a quarterbackbut by playing the game very well by the current rules of the NFL and the media. Can't really expect him to say anything else under the circumstances.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well that doesn't make me like his p.c. talk any more.
He is a big enough star even now in retirement,that he
could speak his mind and not be fired.What is wrong with
calling the guy an idiot,and saying the Dolphins should
not take him back.At least let some other stupid team
take him if they want.I don't think he deserves any
spot on any team personally.What a joke!

bigunreal

Mentor
Why would anyone expect a white star like Marino, who played until very
recently under the Caste System, to say anything differently? I don't
believe Marino ever handed the ball to a white RB while playing in
Miami, and I don't think he ever threw to a white WR.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The thing about a guy like Marino is that he has enough
money from his playing career to last him 2 life times.
He doesn't have to fear losing his job as much as the
average announcer who never made millions.But,that is
the effect that the Caste System has even on one of the
greatest qb's to ever live.I still like Marino but I
wish he would tell us how he really feels.I know deep
down inside that he would rather see Ricky gone.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great point Amimalmuther0.I forgot that he still has to
be voted in.He can't say anything at this point.Now it
makes a little more sense.Damn I hate R.Williams.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Williamsshould get a year's suspension under NFL rules for testing positive on three drug tests. Instead it looks like he is only going to get a four-game suspension, with his one-year vacation being regarded as "time served."Williams will probably also get to keep most of his huge signing bonus as he is welcomed back by his teammates and the Dolphins organization.

It would have been a career-destroying move with the media, fans and the league if done by a white player, but there are different sets of standards for black athletes. That's the real "racism" involved, but of course we are the "racists" for pointing it out.

Trainer

bigunreal said:
Why would anyone expect a white star like Marino, who played until very
recently under the Caste System, to say anything differently? I don't
believe Marino ever handed the ball to a white RB while playing in
Miami, and I don't think he ever threw to a white WR.

I agree here. Marino I believe is influenced by a.) being in the
mainstream media and b.) he is still the face of the Dolphin franchise
so he still kind supports them. So I suppose he sees a better team with
RW.

the story of RW rejoining Miami is all the rage down here....I live
about 15-20 minutes from Dolphin training camp and yesterday they had
their first 2 a days and according to the paper, they had thousands of
people watching.

Now, what really bugs me about all this is the idiot common fans. Last
year they were ready to crucify this guy and they had all sorts of
anti-RW stunts going on. I remember one radio show had a big RW bonfire
out in the parking lot of a bar where people were invited by to burn
their RW jerseys, footballs, pictures, etc..

Many said they never wanted him back.

Oh, how quickly they forget. Now, it seems that 90% of fans are welcoming to RW and ready to let bygons be bygons.

Pretty lame if you ask me.

As for RW in general I can tell you that even though he may sound like
a white gollege kid when he talks, he acts immature and selfish. The
guy has 3 kids from 3 different women. This is really the only reason
why he is back w/ Miami. He needs the $$$.

He says he has been had 'social anxiety disorder'...he was not anti-social w/ those women was he?

RW is now just trade bait for later in the year.

You can tell that he is only here for the $ and for a running back
(especially a strange one) this will most likely cause injury real
quick.

Besides, he can't play until week 5 and rumor is that Saban is just looking to unlaod RW to get something for him.

We'll see...

Trainer

oh, I forgot to mention that when Marino played he did have a couple of
white wide receivers to throw to - Jimmy Cefalo, Jim Jensen, Scott
Schwedes, Joe Rose (TE) and Bruce Hardy (TE).

Running back? Can't think of any at all. I think Miami's only white RB
to make it out of training camp was the great Larry Czonka back in the
early 70s'.

Don Wassall said:
Williamsshould get a year's suspension under NFL rules for testing positive on three drug tests. Instead it looks like he is only going to get a four-game suspension, with his one-year vacation being regarded as "time served."Williams will probably also get to keep most of his huge signing bonus as he is welcomed back by his teammates and the Dolphins organization.

It would have been a career-destroying move with the media, fans and the league if done by a white player, but there are different sets of standards for black athletes. That's the real "racism" involved, but of course we are the "racists" for pointing it out.

One of the best posts Ive read all day.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The fans like and support whomever the media sports writers tell them to. The media last year hated RQW; so went the sheeple.

This year, forgive and forget is the mantra; so the sheeple all want to forgive and forget.

Nary an independent thought one amongst the herd.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Williams shouldn't be allowed back this year at the least, and yes, if he was white it would be a totally different reaction. I do think that he will not be what he was, I think he will be average at best from here on out.