Malignaggi

sunshine

Mentor
Finally saw the Cotto -Paulie fight--frick my man got head butted early and was bleeding profusely under the eye. It was on VS network a few days ago. He is quick but was beat up pretty good. He is brash but showed real toughness and was about as gracious a loser you will ever hear after match. Has a fight in Feb. Look for him to go places--needs some pop but no one will question his toughness now. Jr. welterweight. Only loss is to Cotto.

sunshine

Mentor
Paulie was guest host on ESPN's Friday night fights. He is a cool guy. He will fight in less than two weeks on HBO--I am sure someone here will give us the scoop--wish I could watch it.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I caught one of his fights on TV a while back.
He was coming back from a broken hand, and that is a really tough injury for a boxer to come back from.
It was obvious that the injury did hold him back..he seemed reluctant to really unload...but he certainly is fast-handed.
I don't know where he stands with the injury now, but it may be something that holds him back from living up to his potential.

Bunnyman

Guru
Malignaggi is fighting on HBO on 2/17 against Edner Cherry. A win will put him back in title contention.

sunshine

Mentor
My main man won his fight vs. Cherry in unanimous decision. Anyone see the fight on HBO? they will show it in due time because paulie is outrageously popular. Reports comment on the speed of Paulie(not to mention blue hair) and slick skills including a great jab that kept Cherry at bay. Long term he is looking to fight Hatton for junior welterweight crown--if it ever happens wow would that be something.

Vindicator

Malignaggi showed great hand speed and a high degree of concentration. His mental focus showed in his eyes. Although he occasionally erupted with a flurry of combinations, he seemed content to pick away at Cherry with his excellent jab. I got the impression that he was intentionally fighting conservatively in order to give his problematic right hand more time to heal. In spite of holding back, he was clearly dominant.

Commentators Kellerman and Lewis did point out Paulie's speed and skill throughout the fight although Kellerman, in his typical caste fashion, felt obliged to mitigate his praise with a negative comment by pointing out that Malignaggi was getting hit more often that he should.

sunshine

Mentor
Thanks for the report V. Looking foward to watching the fight down the road--I am sure VS network will carry it -Paulie is real fan favorite.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Paulie Malignaggi put on a wonderful boxing clinic tonight against Lovemore N'Dou, showing great handspeed and technique in winning all 12 rounds. He knocked N'Dou down in the 9th round.

So Malignaggi wins the IBF light welterweight title!!!

smiley32.gif
Edited by: JD1986

Hockaday

Guru
I didn't like Malignaggi at first. He wears that ski bunny thing on his tinted hair and looks like he belongs more on a skate board than in a boxing ring.

He changed my opinion with his gutsy show against the brutal punching Cotto. He showed more of the same in the N'dou fight. This is a tough kid with a very good chin, which helps make up for his lack of punch. Just shows you can't always go by appearances.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I agree Hockaday. At first I didn't like Paulie because of his attitude. But he is a white American champion and in interviews lately he has toned it down. He showed tons of heart against Cotto and would beat Miguel in a rematch. Remember, Coto head butted Paulie int eh first round and that hurt his vision.

By the way, anyone see Cotto-Judah? What a dirty fighter is Cotto.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Saw the Cotto-Judah fight, but missed the Malignaggi fight. It was on too late (not sure if I was watching a replay or something but the Malignaggi fight started at midnight. Wtf?) Anyway, yeah I saw Cotto hit Judah with low blows, but you know what? I can't say I minded. I can't stand Zab Judah. He is a thug, brawls after fights, and talks too much trash. Cotto gave him a beat down in that fight, forced him to take a knee from just plain old beating on him, and got the stoppage. I was happy to see it. Edited by: White Shogun

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
I too did not like Paulies attitude initially. I did appreciate his boxing skills. And yes, he interviews much better now and was very kind, well spoken after his win Saturday night. Incidently, I did not appreciate one of the announcers saying Paulie got the shot at NDung because " He has the right complextion with the right connections." or something like that. Malignaggi proved them all wrong, he got the shot because he is one of the best at his sport!Edited by: WHITE NOISE

Malignaggi is quick as heck. Reminds me a bit of a Paul Spadafora. His boxing and quick jabbing is excellent. Wish he had more pop, but looking at the champs (chumps) at 140 right now, he could clean the division of the current titleholders. M'Baye is not a good fighter at all. Lost to Vivian Harris. Junior Witter is decent but not great, I think he had a boxing lesson from Zab Judah. Not too familiar with Ricardo Torres, but it has a chance of being cleaned out. Now the best 2 of the division will be fighting with Hatton/Castillo (neither have a title now). They are the only 2 fighters who I think could beat Paulie at 140 now since Cotto has moved up and Kostya is in retirement. I'd really like him at 135 but he is doing good at 140.

Torres is tough in 2005 he lost to Cotto by TKo on a fight he took on just few days notice But up until the ReIi believe that he could have gotten a rematch with ta normal amount of training and prep he would stand at least and even chance against Cotto.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Malignaggi?

Italian.

Gary

Mentor
There have been many great Italian fighters but not many Arabs-so Paul fights like an Italian not a camel jockey.

Sorry Gary, I should have been more specific. His style (gimmick, persona) he said was influenced by Naseem Hamed (He could have chosen someone better).He does fight like an Italian.

sunshine

Mentor
I am sure Versus will televise the fight in the not too distant future. They love the Italian Stallion. Can't wait to see it. Paulie is one of the rising stars in boxing.

white is right

Hall of Famer
mrjohnnynofear said:
Sorry Gary, I should have been more specific. His style (gimmick, persona) he said was influenced by Naseem Hamed (He could have chosen someone better). He does fight like an Italian.  
Paulie has wigger style of marketing of himself. But when you hear him talk he sounds like the Italian American street kids from the 40's. He also fights similar to the classic boxer types from this era. Hey I noticed he dropped Beatle Juice and his Drexel haircut. There is hope for him....
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

Blue Devils

Mentor
From Fightnews

Malignaggi-Diaz Set!
All open issues have been resolved regarding the proposed Paulie Malignaggi and Juan Diaz fight on August 22, 2009 in Houston, Texas. DiBella Entertainment and Golden Boy wrapped up negotiations today and tied up all loose ends for the fight- including the agreed upon weight of 138.5 lbs. "This is a fight between two guys looking to prove something. We are both coming of losses in big fights and we are both coming in hungry. Expect fireworks,"Â￾ promised Malignaggi. Promoter Lou DiBella added, "I told Paulie to lay off his Grandma's pasta and eat one less cannoli. Paulie is confident of his speed and boxing ability and is prepared to win in the lion's den of Houston."Â￾

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Malignaggi isn't one of my favorite fighters because of his wigger ways, but I was saddened to see him robbed on the scorecards tonight.

smiley6.gif

That 118-110 scorecard was one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen.