Little League

Deus Vult

Mentor
Any of you guys (or gals) on the Castefootball forum affiliated with little league (or its local equivalent)?

I've coached my daughter's softball teams for a couple years, and I love it as much as anything I have ever done.

Maybe some of you guys don't highly regard females' sports. That's fine. I wouldn't give a rat's ass about WNBA, for example, unless my daughter or some girl I knew was involved. And maybe that's what makes little league baseball and softball that much more enjoyable.

I am not one to sit through and entire major league baseball game. In fact, I bet I have not watched a total of 5 innings of MLB in the last 10 years (since McGwire's homerun drama). But now that the kids' softball season is over, I feel an emptiness that can only be quenched at the ballpark, coaching kids to succeed and practice sportsmanship, and even drying a few tears.

I have taken my young daughter to high school softball games and college softball games -- to show her "how the big girls do it." I find these contests preferable to nearly any other spectator sport. Parents get a little over-excited, but the main theme is sports for the pure joy and competition. The biggest payoff imaginable for the young ladies is a partial scholarship.

Unlike girls involved in some sports, most softball players are not the butch, dikey-looking types. Nor are they exploit-me-please, eye-candy showoffs like many cheerleaders and pep squads. Female softball players, in my observation, tend to be well-balanced: feminine yet fit.

Vult I coached my girls Babe Ruth softball team from the time they were 6 until they turned 15 last year. It was a blast.