Justin Fields on Black QBs

Prominent Bears analyst on Fields:

Hub Arkush
@Hub_Arkush
Justin Fields is a special human being. I wish him the very best. But he isn’t an NFL passer or franchise QB. He can’t read the field or make decisions fast enough and his accuracy is below average. Only 1 team would pay as much as a 6th round pick? That’s the player he is.

And just 3 months ago, Chicago nuthuggers were white knighting for Fields. Blaming all his coaches. Blaming the OL, lack of WR, bad playbook. No matter what, it was NOT Fields' fault that he sucks. It was every one else's fault.

wile

Master
You lost Hub you lost. Decades ago he used to be on the Bears game day broadcast and per usual they had QB problems and he was literally crying about it on air.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
And just 3 months ago, Chicago nuthuggers were white knighting for Fields. Blaming all his coaches. Blaming the OL, lack of WR, bad playbook. No matter what, it was NOT Fields' fault that he sucks. It was every one else's fault.
Dat eternal upside! Par for the course for years now, blame Whitey anytime the affletes don’t pan out.

You have to give the league some credit for not taking the bait on this guy despite the black pundits slobbering over him. I believe it was Keyshawn Johnson who seriously floated the idea of a team giving up a late 1st for Fields just a few days before the trade. I thought someone was for sure going go throw a 3rd rounder at this dude and am frankly surprised to see how small his market was given his athletic upside. He must be really, really bad on tape.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The narrative that "African-American quarterbacks who can extend plays" are better at avoiding sacks is not supported by the evidence:

Furthermore, if "African-American quarterbacks who can extend plays" are better at avoiding sacks then why does Justin Fields have a career sack percentage of 12.4%?
Thanks for posting that. The reality is that some of the "slowest" QBs were/are also the best at avoiding sacks. Hmmm. But that can't be explored in depth because it involves intelligence, feel, and innate abilities that can't be compensated for by being able to run like a deer in headlights. Peyton and Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees (who had some mobility but not a lot), Joe Namath (knees were shot) and many other "dinosaurs" sensed pressure even when they didn't see it and knew how to sidestep it. Jared Goff, Matt Ryan, Brett Favre, Baker Mayfield and others fit in that category.

And then there's all the White QBs who can avoid pressure and can also run well, with Josh Allen being the prototype and Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow, Aaron Rodgers and Trevor Lawrence also excellent at it.

white is right

Hall of Famer
You lost Hub you lost. Decades ago he used to be on the Bears game day broadcast and per usual they had QB problems and he was literally crying about it on air.
Hub is a pretty honest pundit about the Bears and he has a good eye for playing ability. Maybe he is naive about racial politics on back of the roster moves but I remember after the overwhelming preseason that Ryan Nall had in 18' he stated he would break camp with Bears and deserved to be on the roster but Nall was cut and sat on the practice squad that season.

I remember his commentary on Monday Night football games on the radio and his NFL weekly that he published that was pamphlet sized and he seemed devoid of obvious bias.

wile

Master
I'm a lifelong Packers fan and Bears fan hata so accept my bias.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
So the Bears GM Poles basically reiterated the ESPN story with his comments today at a league meeting.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nf...decision-to-trade-justin-fields/549443/?amp=1

“There were other teams, Poles said. “The Steelers were just an opportunity where it was almost like more of a … they have a starter with Russ, but there was more of an open competition it felt like from my perspective where there were other opportunities where there were some quarterbacks that were either veteran guys or young guys that had already been paid, so it would have been a tougher situation for him to get on the field.”

He doesn’t explicitly say they had better offers but it could be implied since he was so concerned with “doing right by Justin”. Black GM looking out for his fellow brotha.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
So the Bears GM Poles basically reiterated the ESPN story with his comments today at a league meeting.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nf...decision-to-trade-justin-fields/549443/?amp=1

“There were other teams, Poles said. “The Steelers were just an opportunity where it was almost like more of a … they have a starter with Russ, but there was more of an open competition it felt like from my perspective where there were other opportunities where there were some quarterbacks that were either veteran guys or young guys that had already been paid, so it would have been a tougher situation for him to get on the field.”

He doesn’t explicitly say they had better offers but it could be implied since he was so concerned with “doing right by Justin”. Black GM looking out for his fellow brotha.
Too bad white gm’s don’t do the same for their own…

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

On the bright (!) side, maybe the Steelers will return to the glorious days of Kordell Stewart with Justin Fields playing the part.

white is right

Hall of Famer
On the bright (!) side, maybe the Steelers will return to the glorious days of Kordell Stewart with Justin Fields playing the part.
So he's going to freelance, throw untimely picks and homosexual rumors will be abound and after he is jettisoned from a 6 year apprenticeship he will be bitter at the NFL?