Julien Watrin

mastermulti

Master
I just researched him a little on the strength of your "heads up".

He just turned 18 on the 27th June and ran 10.39 legal the very next week (i.e. this week). He also set his PB in the 200 of 21.04 into a slight headwind while he was still 17, two weeks ago.

Haven't found out his height yet but he's sure rangey

greyghost

Mentor
yep. definitely one for the future. he will find his true event in the future[ he sprinthurdles also]
smiley1.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I still have a feeling about this kid. He barely turned 18 two weeks ago and he is already putting up very fast times. His height and style intrigue me. Similar to the nfl football player Matt Jones, he doesn't always look like he is running that fast but he is. The kid almost looks like he is doing a fast jog with those really long strides. He eats up the track like pac man!

Here is a video of him winning the semi finals and the finals of the 100 from around a month ago. Let me know what you guys think. I feel another future star in the making!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTojLQ89960

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
paulpoule said:
hehe, a french belgium! Does french language made people fast?

I think the French have developed great running speed from generations of retreating as fast as possible from invading German armies.
smiley2.gif

paulpoule

You're right for 1870 against prussians and 1940. But we run fast now because of the africans et arabians who keep attacking us in the street to steel ou kill us

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
paulpoule said:
You're right for 1870 against prussians and 1940.  But we run fast now because of the africans et arabians who keep attacking us in the street to steel ou kill us

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

SprintFan

He has great stride length(42 steps) impressive for his age but his drive phase seems to short in comparison with elite sprinters like asafa, bolt etc

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yes he is very raw. If you look at both Lemaitre and Guliyev last year, they both had a very short drive phase in the European Junior Championships 100 meters final. Julian is a work in progress. Remember he is 18 so he has a long way to go. I just like his form and stride length. He needs to imporve his drive phase which will require alot more weight training for one. He also needs to increase his strike frequency which should also come in time. I would put this kid through alot of plyometrics and weight lifting to increase his fast twitch fibers. I just have a feeling about this kid. I just see something there that just needs the right coach and training to help him to rise to the elite level.

I have said it before. The majority of elite sprinters regardless of height have huge stride lengths. This kid has a longer stride than Lemaitre and he is 18. Give him a few years and watch out!

Observer

Mentor
paulpoule said:
You're right for 1870 against prussians and 1940.  But we run fast now because of the africans et arabians who keep attacking us in the street to steel ou kill us
THAT is FUNNY. Sad, but very funny.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
One thing to keep in mind when comparing this kid to Lemaitre is their progression. Lemaitre ran 10.26 at 18. Watrin just turned 18 a few weeks ago and he has run 10.39 so far. I'm hoping he can get into the lov 10.30's by the end of the summer. It was when Christophe hit 19 that he made a major jump all the way to 10.03. I'm not saying Watrin will do the same thing but I really like his potential. The kid from Jamaica and the Korean kids are heavy favorites to win at the World Junior Champs. I'm hoping they can help Watrin assess where he needs to get to. It the weather cooperates, we might see a big p.b. there.