Jared Lorenzen

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Lorenzen was the biggest starting quarterback ever when he played at Kentucky, usually weighing in at around 270 pounds. Yet he was still an amazingly agile runner and also possessed a very strong arm.

He went undrafted last year, signing with the Giants as a free agent. He never reported to training camp. According to The Sporting News, it was because Tom Coughlin told Lorenzen to report weighing less than 300 pounds. The Giants still retain the rights to Jared and he has decided to join the team's offseason conditioning program. I would like to see Lorenzen give it his best shot and get the chance to play in the NFL. He is another white player who possesses freakishly good athletic ability. If he would lose weight and really work out who knows how good he could be.Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That's true Don. Watching Jared at QB at Kentucky was like watching a heavier version of Matt Jones. You didn't know what to expect. He is a very exciting player who deserves a shot somewhere. He's a heck of a lot better than the overweight black QB from Marshall. I hope he can get on the field with the Giants.

okra63

Guru
I hope Jared will get to play as well, but Col. Reb remember who the quarterback for the Giants is? The Ole Miss Johnny Reb himself Eli Manning.

Highwayman

I was intrigued by this guy too, the 'Battleship Lorenzen'--what a great nickname!

I see he is listed as being on the Giant's roster at 285, while the NFL.com site lists him at the 288 he weighed at the combine. Could this mean he has reported recently and met Coughlin's demands?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's tough to find any news about Lorenzen. I can't help but think if he was black with his freakish size, mobility and arm strengthhe would have been a mediasensation bothduring his career at Kentucky and afterwards. He probably would have been drafted, maybe in an early round. But that being said he has to show he has the desire to play as a proby losing weight and keeping it off.

Highwayman

Don Wassall said:
It's tough to find any news about Lorenzen. I can't help but think if he was black with his freakish size, mobility and arm strengthhe would have been a mediasensation bothduring his career at Kentucky and afterwards. He probably would have been drafted, maybe in an early round. But that being said he has to show he has the desire to play as a proby losing weight and keeping it off.

[/QUOTE

I agree on both accounts. Were he not white he'd be lionized, and those who suggested maybe he'd be in better shape were he to inhale a few less Twinkies a day would be castigated for being overly critical about a guy who 'moved around OK in college.' Perhaps with dark insinuations of their ulterior motives like if (before this last year) they dared suggest Donovan McNabb might be regarded by more as a superior QB if he could've managed a 60% completion ratio, 30 TD passes or a 7.0 yrds/att rato at least one point in his career.

If Tom Coughlin tells you to do something, you'd better do it.It's not like asking a guy who played at 270-280 his college career to report below 300 is all that onerous a demand.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is changing the subject of this thread but what the heck. Almost any time you hear or read anything about Tom Coughlin he'susually referred to as a "dictator" or "tyrant." But I wonder how he would compare to NFL headcoaches of yesteryear. My guess is that he is probably more lenient than the most lenient NFL head coach of 40 or 50 years ago. I bet that's also true in the area of yelling at or berating players. Every now and then most coaches go off on a player (and probably disproportionately at whites), but the dominant black culture of the locker room and playing field won't allow for much of it, else a coach risks being publicly yelled at on the sideline or even physically attacked, as quite a few assistant coaches have been.

Highwayman

I think you've very likely right, the culture has changed a great deal, and those whose fathers fought in WWII were more willing to subject themselves to stricter discipline than the kids of today.

I am aware of incidents like Latrell Sprewell, but I can't recall ever hearing about that happening in the NFL. Who was involved and what was their fate?

One thing I just remembered about Lorenzen that made me chuckle was speculation some Giant's fans made last year when they signed him after the draft (and before they signed Kurt Warner) that the plan was to keep Eli on the bench and learn the system and wait until they could assemble a real offensive line, and send Jared out there to take a beating 'cause they knew the battlewagon could take it.

Probably just off the wall speculation, but ya never know, maybe Jared heard the same thing and he didn't chuckle--he didn't find it funny at all...
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There have been numerous incidents of players attacking assistant coaches, or charging them and being restrained. This has happened more often in locker rooms but also on practice fields and sidelines. Even Kevin Greene attacked an assistant coach on the sideline during a game.

The verbal berating is also common -- Keyshawn Johnson yelling at Gruden, Terrell Owens yelling at anyone and everyone. Sideline tantrums are part of the m.o. of many black prima donnas, though the mostdemonized athlete when it comes to this isJeff George, forarguing with Falcons head coach June Jones and Art Shell of the Raiders. Shell called George racial epithets during their argument but the media of course buried that aspect of it.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Getting back to Lorenzen, okra 63, I meant I hoped Lorenzen gets a shot at tight end for the Giants, not at QB. I doubt he would beat out Eli for the job. I think Lorenzen would be a great Wesley Walls type tight end if they'd give him the job. He would be able to get yardage when it is needed most. Sorry for the confusion on that.

kevin

Guru
he doesn't have good speed for a TE. Lorenzen runs about a 4.9 forty that just won't cut it in the nfl. He has also had weight issues, If he could drop about thirty lbs maybe that would boost his forty, but that is hily un likely.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Kevin, I agree in that if he loses weight, he will probably get faster, but like you say, it is unclear whether that will happen. If he wants to play in the NFl bad enough, he will do what it takes to get in shape, if he doesn't, then he won't. Its as simple as that.

JD074

Master
I saw Lorenzen on the sidelines during the Giants game. I didn't know if he was still in the league. Pretty cool.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Here's a couple of pics of Lorenzen a Kentucky, one with his son Taylor.

JAREDLORENZEN1.jpg

JAREDLORENZEN2.jpg