complete washout. Then yesterday Colts WR Brandon Stokley dislocated
his shoulder and will miss a minimum of 3-4 weeks. Wonderful. I hate to
say it, but the stereotype about white players being injury prone is
just true. I love Stokley (he's probably my favorite fantasy player),
but how tough can you be when a simple contact drill causes you to fall
in such a way that you dislocate your shoulder? Stokley, like so many
white players, has been very injury prone his whole career (last year
was about the only time he played an entire season). Drew Bennett has
been injured countless times. Zack Thomas has had numerous injruies.
Jason Sehon never came back from the injuiry that caused him to miss an
entire season. Another of my fantasy players, TE Dallas Clark, is
always hurt. I could go on and on, but you get my point. Could it be
that because whites have become so submissive through decades of
brainwashing and collective guilt, the whites who play in the NFL are
actually causing themselves to become injured more easily than they
should be? Matt Jones (who has already had one injury in preseason
workouts) took a big hit in practice yesterday, and the media has
given it a lot of coverage, no doubt with a lot of pleasure. They loved
relating the fact that the hit caused him to drop the ball and that the
guy who hit him was a tiny DB (5'9, 170), while Jones is 6'6 and 235.
Jones wasn't hurt (amazingly), but I suspect that there will be many
more hard "hits" on this "uppity" white boy before camp is through.
Let's hope he can take it, and stay injury-free. That would be a rarity
for a white skill position player, and he certainly can't afford to
miss any time with another white-hating coach (Jack Del Rio) deciding
how much he plays. Already, the fantasy sites are full of quotes from
the Jaguars coaching staff about how "great" last year's #1 pick,
fellow WR Reggie Williams, looks. I really am rooting for Jones, and
wish him all the best, but it will be very hard for him to
succeed.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It's hard for any white player to do well and get any credit these days, but you are mistaken about the stereotype of whites being injury prone. Blacks get hurt all the time and we don't hear about it cause the Caste System media has their agenda. Also, there are so many of them in the NFL, the numbers of them who are hurt are covered up by the sheer numbers of other black players. Think about it, we follow these white players fiercely here. We don't watch ESPN to see how many black guys get hurt, and even if we did, they won't report it because that would hurt their goal of an all-black NFL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot of white players who are extremely durable -- Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Kerry Collins,many offensive linemen, etc. I think Reb is right that we notice injuries to white players more, but the media doesn't discriminate when it comes to reporting them; injuries to blacks are also reported and there are a lot of injury prone black players. But whites at the "taboo" positions do seem to have a bulls-eye on their back as far as being targets. That's why they have to get away from the all-out kamikaze style of play that was typified by Ed McCaffrey, Tim Dwight, Keith Poole and others. McCaffrey was very durable but he was a physical freak; the others were constantly getting hurt because their "white style" of play was counterproductive and even stupid in my opinion.

As much as possible white receivers have to be aware ofthe defenders who arearound them and knowwhen it's time to go down after making a catch or else risk a concussion or some other injury. That's what black receivers do all the time, often to excess, but there's no reason white receivers can't do the same if they want to maximize their chances of staying healthy.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I couldn't agree with you more.These white receivers have
a huge bullseye on their backs.There is so much jealosy
involved and some of the defensive players take joy out
of knocking them out of the game & hurting them.When
possible,they need to get down before they get hit going
across the middle.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don and whitelightning, good points. Ya'll said what I was trying to say. You are also both right in that they should be playing smarter.

GWTJ

Mentor
Well guys, I have to say I'm dissappointed. I thought this was the one place where my main man wouldn't be forgotten. But once again, he slips through the cracks. This was the perfect thread for him to be mentioned as a white player who is not injury prone. Since he turned pro he hardly gets any ink for his accomplishments, even in his home town. He hails from the same town as me and the same high school. He has been in the NFL15 years at a skill position(not QB)and hardly ever been hurt. He has a Super Bowl ring and has been a solid contributer on any team he has played for. WHY DOES EVERYONE IGNORE HIM? To be fair, during games the announcers do talk about him now and then.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If it's Ricky Proehl, just do a search of the board and the site itself to see how many times he's been mentioned. Caste Football supporters love Ricky Proehl!

GWTJ

Mentor
It is Ricky. I don't go back to the old posts and I guess it's been awhile since the last football season. I will take a look now.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This is from the archives. He is one of our most honored white athletes here as he carried the torch for white wide receivers virtually alone for a number of years in the NFL:

(9/1/03) Proehl will spend his 14th NFL season with his fifth team, the Carolina Panthers, where he should see the field quite a bit as the team's third or fourth receiver. Spent five quality years with the Rams, making many memorable contributions to the "Greatest Show on Turf." Caught 43 passes for 466 yards and 4 TDs last year, giving him 580 career catches as the most prolific white receiver since Steve Largent.

(3/20/03) Thought to be retiring after the 2002 season, Proehl signed a three-year, $3 million contract with the Carolina Panthers, which will give him 16 years in the league if he plays all three years. Proehl had 43 catches for 466 yards and 4 TDs with St. Louis in 2002 as the Rams third receiver, giving him 580 receptions for 7,521 yards and 46 TDs for his career. He has a shot at 700 career catches depending how he is used with Carolina, who are weak at the WR position, as Muhsin Muhammad has become injury-prone, and Steve Smith is unproven and a real head case.

The Rams, for whom Proehl played the last five seasons, wanted to re-sign him for one year at the league minimum, and Arizona was also reportedly interested in bringing him back to the franchise that drafted him out of Wake Forest in 1990. Carolina will be the fifth team Proehl has played for. Proehl is a very fine receiver â€â€￾- if he reaches 700 receptions he will be at a rarified level reached only by Hall of Fame receivers â€â€￾- but will always be known for the way he has been used as a euphemism for white wide receivers (read below).

(8/22/02) Although Ricky Proehl has had a very nice career, his most lasting contribution may be that his name has become a euphemism for white receivers, as in "he's a Ricky Proehl type." Endlessly repeated since Proehl began his NFL career in 1990 and hilarious to hear over and over again from media announcers and pundits, a "Ricky Proehl type" has entered the lexicon as a synonym for "white." No black receiver has ever been compared to Proehl, but every white receiver or aspiring white receiver has been â€â€￾- except for the very tall ones, who are compared to Ed McCaffrey. Think of the classic comedy movie "Kingpin" where the last name of the woebegone protagonist, Munson, became a national buzz word for "screwed" for a good analogy.

Not that being a "Ricky Proehl type" is bad, it's just so predictable and lame and illustrative of the herd mentality of the football "experts" who don't dare rock the boat for fear of being criticized or losing their fat paychecks. It's akin to every black quarterback being labeled over and over again a "Doug Williams type." It's so racist and obvious as to be laughable.

A New Jersey native, Proehl, now 34, attended Wake Forest, where he set school records for receptions (188), yards (2,949) and touchdowns (25). All three marks were second best in ACC history at that time. He was drafted in the third round by Arizona, and promptly became a starter, a remarkable testimony to his skills as he was the only white starting receiver in the NFL until the emergence of Wayne Chrebet in 1995.

Proehl never reached the 1,000 yard mark in receiving, but was a consistent 50 to 60 reception, 700 to 800 yard performer. After five seasons with the Cardinals he was disposed of by head coach Buddy Ryan, who didn't have any use for lowly white players, and began the vagabond journey through the league that most white receivers go through. He played two seasons with the Seahawks and one with the Bears before ending up with the Rams in 1998, where he finally found a home and has earned a fair amount of respect around the league as the Rams' reliable and clutch third and fourth receiver.

Proehl has very impressive career totals of 537 receptions for 7,055 yards and 42 touchdowns. He made noises about retiring after the 2001 season, but the Rams coaxed him back for another campaign. He could probably play several more years if he wants to, and could easily end up with 650 or more career catches. He has a good chance of seeing much playing time in 2002, with the departure of Az-zahir Hakim to the Lions and his replacement with the oft-injured Terrence Wilkins. Although he has made many great plays, Proehl will always be remembered not only for the euphemistic use of his last name by goofy white announcers and pundits, but also for his superb TD catch against Tampa Bay in the NFC championship game that paved the way for the Rams to go to the 2000 Super Bowl, where they triumphed over Tennessee.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
WR Todd Pinkston blew out a knee and is out for the season. Of the starting black QBs, McNair, McNabb and Vick have all had injury problems and Culpepper had a hip problem a couple of seasons back. Charlie Batch, now a backup, missed all of last season with an injury.

There are plenty of black RBs who get hurt a lot --Fred Taylor, Priest Holmes, DeShaun Foster, Stephen Davis, Michael Bennett, Chris Brown, Duce Staley, Lee Suggs,Travis Henry, Thomas Jones, Marshall Faulk, Marcel Shipp, Correll Buckhalter, Chris Perry and Justin Fargashave all beeninjury prone to one degree or another.

It's certainly not rare for black linemen to get serious injuries, especially obese ones.

Injury is rarer among black WRs, mainly becausemany don'tdo much blocking, and because they have mastered the art of running out of bounds and self-tackling, but they do get hurt -- Randy Moss and Terrell Owens just last season, Steve Smith, Anquan Boldin, Jerry Porter, Donald Driver, Muhsin Muhammad, Charles Rogers, Justin McCaerins,Tyrone Calico, Marcus Robinson, Ronald Curry, Terry Glenn, David Boston and Reche Caldwell have all battled injuries.

Once a white WR becomes established to some degree he has to learn to do play smart, just not to the point where it looks pathetic, as it does with some black WRs. It's not in the nature of whites to be that way, but until the NFL returns to racial fairnesswhite WRshave to be cunning like a fox to first survive and then thrive. Same goes for TEs; last year Todd Heap was the only good white one who had a significant injury.Edited by: Don Wassall

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Charles Rodgers sheesh, this guy has missed the last two seasons because of broken collarbones. Face it, if you have a weak shoulder in football you are toast.

Yes white guys should play it smart but Bill Schroeder when with the Lions backed off of one pass and it ended his career in Detroit. The media showed it over and over and over until you could walk up to a stranger and he knew the story of "alligator arms" Bill Schroeder. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

IceSpeed2

Guru
I don't know if the percentage of white's injuries is
higher. I think it just seems that way because there are so few
white players.
Edited by: IceSpeed2

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
IceSpeed2 said:
I don't know if the percentage of white's injuries is higher. I think it just seems that way because there are so few white players.

I think you are exactly right. Someday when this site is big enough we will have the resources to get actual numbers.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Todd Pinkston ruptured an Achilles tendon in practice Friday and is out for the season.

Although his name might lead one to believe he is 'white,' Mr. Pinkston is actually black.
smiley4.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Jaxvid, last year I was watching a game at my brother's place amd we noticed Jerry Rice drop an easy pass, it was virtually ignored by the commentators. Then later in the game Rice backed off and performed one of the most glaring alligator armsdemonstrations I have ever seen,withhardlya word from the booth. Afterwards, it was replayed and the announcers just laughed it off and said he was entitled to a few of those because of allthe hits he'd taken in his career. Yes, he was very goodandmade some toughcatches over the middle, but i've seen him SAVE his body plenty of times. Maybe that's why he can still play at the age of 58?!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- Terrell Owens left the Philadelphia Eagles' morning practice Thursday and did not return for the team's afternoon session after injuring his left groin.

Reid said groin problems are a chronic condition for Owens.

Thats what happens when you hold out too long before training camp.
smiley19.gif

smiley2.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I was making a point posting the injury news about Pinkston and Owens, but I can't keep up. Most of the news on ESPN's NFL page is nothing but injury reports - Pinkston, Owens, Burress, Spears, Courtney Brown, Anquan Boldin...

Kyle Brady also made the front page injury report, too.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
At the age of 58, that's a good one Bart!
smiley36.gif

bigunreal

Mentor
I was not trying to demean white players with my post. No one wants
more white players to suceed than I do. However, I do think that there
are a disproportionate number of white players who get injured
repeatedly, especially the few who are allowed to play the skill
positions. This really doesn't include QB, as there are still more
whites than blacks who play the position, and with the league doing
everything to protect them, they tend to become injured a lot less
often (unless you're Chris Chandler). Brett Favre and Peyton Manning
are prime examples of this. If you just look at the white players we've
talked about so much on this site, you have to admit that a lot of them
get injured on a regular basis. Zack Thomas. Jim Kleinsasser.
Stephen Alexander. Dallas Clark. Todd Heap. Jeremy Shockey. Brian
Finneran. Brandon Stokley. Drew Bennett. Joe Jurevicious. Kevin Curtis.
Throw in recent favorites like Luke Staley, Bill Schroeder, Travis
Jervey, Sean Bennett, Brent Jones. Keith Millard. Brian Bosworth. Steve
Emtman. Jason Sehorn. Don Beebe. Jeff Query. I could go on and on, but
that's a pretty good representation off the top of my head. How many
other white players have played either WR, RB or TE, or been the heart
of an NFL defense in the past 10-15 years and not had multiple
injuries? I didn't even include the only other current white player
besides Thomas to be the heart of a team's defense-Brian Urlacher-even
though me missed several games last year with an injury.

I know that lots of black players are injury prone. No queston about
that. The whole league is injury prone, for that matter. My point is-
the percentage of white skill position players who have had significant
injury concerns is way higher than the injury percentages for all NFL
players. When you are already dealing with the Caste system, and all
coaches and jock- sniffers in the media are looking for any excuse not
to give you a chance, being considered injuiry prone makes it all that
much more difficult. Look at Luke Staley- after being considered injury
prone coming out of BYU, he got hurt and missed his rookie year. Even
though he worked hard at rehab, he never got a second chance. I didn't
mean for anyone hear to think I was saying white players are soft or
anything. I don't know what the reason is, but the few skill position
players we all root for here do seem to get hurt more often than than
the black players they are competing with.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hey bigun
I think Don's perception of this issue, if I may restate it , is that white players always go balls-to-the-wall. Its in herent in their nature to give 110%, every play. If any of them ARE aware of the caste-sytem, this may make them feel they have to play even harder to win a spot on the roster over their less-productive and less-industrious black teammates.

This balls-to-the-wall attitude could lead to a lot more injuries, IMO.

What do you think? And Don, did I assess your opinion of it correctly?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It would probably take a statistical analysis as mentioned by a couple of others on this thread to know for sure, but the perception is definitely there if not the reality. B&R I know you don't mean it in a demeaning sense; I think we all feel frustrated when one of "our guys" goes down. Certainly a lot of white fans in general believe whites are more injury prone. In virtually every fantasy football analysis I've read of Stokley for '05 they caution to expect him to get hurt and now he has, though it's too early to know if it will cost him time in the regular season.

Prominent receiverslike Proehl, McCaffrey andChrebet have all been durable.Someof the players listed by Bigunrealgenerally had healthy careers. Even Jerry Rice missed an entire year due to injury. When I think of white players at the taboo positions I think of other factors holding them back more than injury, but some do seem to getinjured easily.

Thinking back to '04,relatively few white players were hurt at WR, TE, FB and defense. Marc Boerigter, Todd Heap (again), Urlacher for part of the season, Dan Morgan had his annual concussion, Matt Bowen, Peter Sirmon. I would bet thenumber of well-known white players hurt last year was less than that of black players, relative to their percentage in the league. This year there has been a slew of injuries alreadybut Stokley is the only white I can think of among them. His injury sounds like one of those freakish things that happens sometimes. He took some very hard shots last year but was also pretty smart as far as going down quickly rather than taking unneccessary head-on hits.

Whites always play with a "non-stop motor," but there are wiser ways to do that. Hey Tim Dwight -- you don't need to end up with a collapsed lung every season to prove how tough you are! There are undoubtedly better ways to train, too.Most NFL players train all year round now, but one by-product of thatseems tomore pulled and strained muscles and general susceptibility to injury. Edited by: Don Wassall

Trainer

I find this topic to be a little off base. The NFL is a very dangerous
game and it is obvious that everyone will get injured at some point in
time.

It's just a matter of time.

White or black, everyone has to pay the piper eventually.

Are white players soft?

No. The very idea is idiotic. If anything, the ones that make it to the
NFL level are very tough and have already succeeded at very long odds.

Do white players have a bullseye on their backs? I'd say yes. Skill players especially of course.

White players tend to be of the "blue collar" type, or with a "never
ending motor" or a "tweener" - all code speak for White, LOL.

White skill players are of course discriminated aganist and every serious intelligent fan knows this.

KG2422

Mentor
Injuries seem to be more frequent in the last decade than before. I think the players have become very strong for their ligaments and tendons and the the players' weights continue to rise. Some may scoff at this ,but I think steroids plays a small role in this rise in white and black players' injuries because they can make the joints very tight. Steroids like stanozolol can also dehydrate muscles, making tears easier. I suspect there weren't as many hamstring tears in the 50s.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
KG, I'm not scoffing, I've read about the link between bigger muscles and weaker tendons before. The theory is that the muscles exert more force than the tendons can handle. Movements are so strong and powerful that ligaments can't handle the torque, causing tears in the ligament.

The athlete's weight and size are also considered to be correlating factors. Guys are becoming just too big for their musculo-skeletal structure to handle.