Indy 500

Poacher

Mentor
Once again we were treated to more Danica Patrick hype and once again one of those evil white males won Indy. I wonder how many more years we will be subjected to this nonsense? Until she wins it?

I get so tired of the media always lumping white females in with the rest of the "oppressed."

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
My paper is calling her the "Kornikova" of racing, not a compliment obviously. Being white her time in the spotlight will be short, just like Annika Sorenstram had a lot of attention in the men's tourniments until that asian girl came along.

Matra1

Mentor
It wasn't just the Danica hype. The whole thing was overhyped. They kept exaggerating what a big deal Indy is when in reality it hasn't been all that important since the Open Wheel racing split. Calling it the most important race on earth was ridiculous. Even in the US more people watched another race that day - the NASCAR from NC. In the rest of the world F1's Monaco was watched by more people than watch all the the year's Indy races put together. When the commentators need to keep telling us over and over again that it's a big deal then you know it ain't.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The Indianapolis 500 is dead. It will hang on a few more years but will have to change as racing has past it by.

What's the big deal about the Indy 500?
--- Largest one day sporting event.
--- oldest operational race track and oldest continual race.
--- Largest race purse
--- It has traditions that other races could only dream of. When you win the 500, you are one of the greats in racing.
You can also see the problem. NASCAR sells the entire series. Every race is special. The Indy 500 is so large it dwarfs everything else. The opening races are a warmup for the 500, and the races afterwards are for a chanpionship that no one cares for. This is a shame because I feel that IRL racing is better than NASCAR, but no one is watching.

Sarah Fisher is trying to return to the IRL. She was the woman of the series before Danica appeared. Fisher started the Indy 500 four time, and finished second in a IRL race. The fans voted her the most popular driver on the series three years in a row.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bill Elliott was voted favorite driver by the NASCAR fans for 16 years altogether, a record that will probably stand for a long time. I imagine a lot of people could remember the woman driver in IRL better than the men. I used to follow that racing, but after the guys who raced in the 80s got out of it, I lost interest.