Indiana

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
With the walls caving in on Mike Davis and his basketball program, there is a lot of speculation that he will not be back as their head coach next year. Granted, there is plenty of basketball to play and Indiana could make the tournament and make a nice run to save his job, but right now that looks unlikely. Indiana used to be a program that always had some good white players but obviously those days are long gone as Davis has recruited outside of Indiana and down South and his teams have missed the tournament two years in a row.

So my question is, can Indiana ever return to its pre-caste/Mike Davis form? I doubt they'll hire another black coach and a name I see being tossed around a lot right now is Alford with his sucess this season at Iowa.. would Alford be a good fit to break the system at Indiana again? What is everyone's thoughts on this situation?

Pre-Mike Davis wasn't working out for IU, either. How many white prep
All-Americans left the program under Knight?

Hell, Davis got to the Final Four with the white players who did jack for
Knight.

For it to work, IU may have to get a "modern" coach to soothe the egos of
the pampered white local Hoosier stars who have been blown up for four
years of high school in a basketball-worshipping state.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Not only is Davis not getting the white players from Indiana, but he's not even getting the black ones. Greg Oden, the #1 rated HS player, is going to Ohio State.. and he lives in Indiana, as well as at least one other black player who is bypassing Indiana for Ohio State. And then of course there are guys like McRoberts who have also skipped town, so Davis can't get ANYONE. Plus I don't think it's fair to say Davis got them to the final four with a team Knight couldn't do anything with, because even on Davis' team they were, and although I don't remember exactly, the only roster I could find has Jeffries being a Fr. (I believe he won Big Ten player of year, a player Knight recruited but never got to coach..) as well as most of the other pices being fairly young..