Horse Racing

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Anyone on this board interested in horse racing? I'm thinking about going to the track and see what its like. I always wondered how much it cost to race your own horses. I'm not sure how that really works I been looking for a website but no such luck. So if anyone has any information it would be cool if you could share it.

Apparently there's no horse racing fans here yet. No NASCAR fans either, which I'm sure confounds the haters of Caste Football.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I am surprised they're no Nascar fans, but they don't have to worry so much about white racism in that sport. I think I'll just have to research horse racing on my own.

aubine

Hello all, I happened on this forum as I was looking for results on the web regarding racism in horse racing, a question came up on a forum asking about this subject.

The question asked was, why there were no black jockeys riding in the UK, I have read recently the story of Jimmy Winkfield a 2 time kentucky derby winner, he was an extraordinary character who had an extraordinary life and I know that there is a book by (Ed Hoterling? about black athletes that I am interested in reading, but I have to admit that my knowlege of racism in sport particularly the sport I am interested in is poor.
Does anyone have any views on this subject with regard to the horse racing question, also does anyone here follow horse racing?

Kaptain

Master
Horse racing is a mixed bag. The jockeys are usually white, but the horses are usually black. Who do you root for?
smiley5.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
aubine said:
why there were no black jockeys riding in the UK

I'm sure its because there are no blacks interested in being jockeys. Otherwise, they would dominate horse riding in the same way they do all other sports in which they participate. They have the natural hip flexibility to sit more comfortably astride the horse, and the manual dexterity required to whip the horse while at the same time guiding it with the reins and their knees.

Blacks are generally taller and more muscular than whites, too, so that might limit the number of blacks available to be recruited as jockeys. But if it weren't for the blatant racism in the moneyed families who dominate horse racing, an owner could conceivably recruit any number of worthy athletic blacks from the pygmies in Africa to ride his horses on race day.

I'm just surprised there haven't been more black jockey winners than this Mr. Jimmy Winkfield you mention.

Years ago I was told that Black jockeys dominated horse racing in the 1880s and 1890s. It was compared to how they dominated the NBA. Then, Black jockeys just disappeared from the sport. It was blamed on "Racism", but I believe there was just a limited number of short black guys.

Does anyone know more about this? It has been many years when I heard of this, so I cannot quote the exact sources.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I grew up at the track. Black jockeys were forced out by the top white riders in the late 19th century. A colour line was drawn and when that generation of riders retired pretty much all of the black riders disappeared. Back then jockeys were among the highest paid athletes in the world as there were few professional sports. In the present very few white or black North Americans can make weight, so most of the riders are foreigners. I remember reading about the crazy diet that Lafit Pincay(not sure on the spelling) had to make weight he literally ate 850 calories a day and he looked as strong as bull. He ate no meat and virtually no fat. Also the track is bad vice to pickup I know many a lives ruined by the track beware of the track or otb......
smiley5.gif
Edited by: white is right

white is right

Hall of Famer
A new racing record will be established soon. Move over Lafit Pincay, the new winningest rider will be Russell Baze....AN MATEO, Calif. -- Jockey Russell Baze tied Laffit Pincay Jr. as the world's winningest jockey on Thursday, scoring his 9,530th victory aboard Christie's Fame in the sixth race at Bay Meadows. Baze is scheduled to ride seven mounts on Friday.

Russell Baze
AP Photo
Jockey Russell Baze, second from right, celebrates with his daughters Cassie and Trinity, from left, and wife Tammy.

"That's Russell Baze riding into the record book," said track announcer Michael Wrona as Baze pulled clear in the stretch.

Christie's Fame, a 3-year-old filly, went wire to wire in a $6,250 claimer at one mile and won by 4 1/2 lengths.

Baze was not originally scheduled to ride Christie's Fame but picked up the mount when Ricky Frazier took off his mounts because of illness after riding the first two races Thursday.

Baze, 48, had come within one of Pincay with a photo-finish victory aboard Sylvan Hill in Wednesday's final race.

Baze finished second aboard Sky Harbor in Thursday's third race, second aboard Swiss Ladybug in the fourth, and third aboard Stealth Attack in the fifth before tying Pincay. He was scheduled to ride morning-line favorite Global Riot in the second, but Global Riot was scratched Thursday morning.

Following the record-tying victory, Baze was joined by his family and friends, including former valet Paul Frey, in the winner's circle.

Pincay has been at the track since Saturday awaiting Baze's record-setting ride. After Wednesday's races, Pincay joked that he would go out and celebrate for perhaps the last time as the world's winningest rider.

As gracious as Pincay has been about losing the title as world's winningest rider, Baze has been equally gracious about surpassing him.

All-Time Winningest Jockeys
(Through Thursday)
Laffit Pincay Jr. 9,530
Russell Baze 9,530
Bill Shoemaker 8,833
Pat Day 8,803
David Gall 7,396
"If I won 20,000 races, it wouldn't eclipse anything Laffit or [Bill Shoemaker] did," he said. "I think this is a tribute to your desire to compete. I do everything I can to help a horse to win."

"I'm very excited," said Jeanne Shand, Dennis Ward's assistant, in the winner's circle. "It's wonderful. You never know how luck comes around in this game."

This wasn't Baze's first milestone with a pickup mount. He scored his 5,000th victory aboard Cyrus Says at Santa Rosa, picking up the mount that morning.

Lawrence Zimmerman, Christie's Fame's 81-year-old co-owner, was initially more excited about the paycheck he was about to receive than being part of an historic moment. He said that he only had $157 in his bank account when he checked in the morning before coming to the race.

Poacher

Mentor
Best racehorse names ever:

Grindstone
Thunder Gulch
Tobasco Cat