Hope for Bearcats to make championship game?

referendum

Mentor
I'm wondering if there is any chance for the Bearcats or even the Broncos to make the championship game. With either Alabama or Florida losing one game, and then say Texas losing in the Big 12 championship game, would that clear a way for either one of them (assuming they finish undefeated of course) to play the winner of Florida/Alabama?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'd say Texas Christian would make it into that scenario before either of those teams. It would be nice to see Boise to be in a big bowl. The BCS just flat out stinks. It automatically shrinks the number of teams that could play in big bowl games. We need a playoff using the top bowls as the final rounds.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
A 16 team BCS playoffs would be very nice to watch, with all the conference winners (minus the Sun Belt) getting automatic bids. Then there could be a full six at large bids (instead of four) using the same system as now. They could start the playoffs on a Thursday/Friday and end with the BCS championship 28 days later on a Thursday. The winning team would play 4 playoff games in 28 days. This would be where true grid iron warriors are made! They could also change the system to have a secondary one game bowl schedule, where teams have to be 7-5 or better to qualify. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Alworth No.19

ToughJ.Riggins said:
A 16 team BCS playoffs would be very nice to watch, with all the conference winners (minus the Sun Belt) getting automatic bids. Then there could be a full six at large bids (instead of four) using the same system as now. They could start the playoffs on a Thursday/Friday and end with the BCS championship 28 days later on a Thursday. The winning team would play 4 playoff games in 28 days. This would be where true grid iron warriors are made! The could also change the system to have a secondary bowl schedule, where teams have to be 7-5 or better to qualify.

A sound and sensible suggestion. Of course I presume that this playoff would occur during the month of December and conclude on New Year's day, which I believe it should. There is absolutely nothing dumber in all of sport than the current BCS nonsense, where the best teams take up to 50 days off before their most important game of the season. A Div. I playoff system that ran through the month of December would quickly overshadow March Madness. That such a system is not already in place is a testament to the overwhelming intransigence of overwhelming stupidity.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Seems like Texas, Cincy, TCU, Boise State and even Alabama are relatively white friendly. Who do you guys think is the most pro-white of the undefeated teams left?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I guess I'd rather see Texas, Texas Christian, or Boise State win out. Alabama is the most caste out of all those in my opinion, and John Goebel isn't playing for Cincinnati right now, otherwise I'd include them.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Alworth No.19 said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:
A 16 team BCS playoffs would be very nice to watch, with all the conference winners (minus the Sun Belt) getting automatic bids. Then there could be a full six at large bids (instead of four) using the same system as now. They could start the playoffs on a Thursday/Friday and end with the BCS championship 28 days later on a Thursday. The winning team would play 4 playoff games in 28 days. This would be where true grid iron warriors are made! They could also change the system to have a secondary, one game bowl schedule, where teams have to be 7-5 or better to qualify.
A sound and sensible suggestion. Of course I presume that this playoff would occur during the month of December and conclude on New Year's day, which I believe it should. There is absolutely nothing dumber in all of sport than the current BCS nonsense, where the best teams take up to 50 days off before their most important game of the season. A Div. I playoff system that ran through the month of December would quickly overshadow March Madness. That such a system is not already in place is a testament to the overwhelming intransigence of overwhelming stupidity.

Alworth, I've reformed my above suggestion. In the above scenario, the Sunbelt should be disbanded and the members should be forced to enter other conferences. The Sun Belt conference is the weakest in the FBS- and them getting an automatic bid in the BCS playoffs would be a blowout joke. The BCS bowl playoffs would start the second Saturday of December and be run Saturdays/Mondays. The secondary bowl schedule could be run on Thursdays and Fridays, starting the second Thursday of December- with only 7-5 teams or better eligible. The latter would be one game bowls like now. Finally, the BCS championship game could be the 3rd Saturday of January in a pre-selected dome site, so this game would not conflict with the previous Saturday NFL game schedule.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
I guess I'd rather see Texas, Texas Christian, or Boise State win out. Alabama is the most caste out of all those in my opinion, and John Goebel isn't playing for Cincinnati right now, otherwise I'd include them. 

Colonel, I don't mind the Bearcats, b/c Goebel isn't getting "screwed".
He was injured- and in his absence Cinci was winning every game and their rush attack was better than last year. I still think Goebel is more talented than Ramsey, as he out-performed him last year and is more athletic, but Ramsey is doing very well in his LAST YEAR OF ELIGIBILITY right now. If Kelly doesn't spell Pead with Goebel next year, then Goebel "WOULD BE" getting screwed. They would compliment each other well, like Pead and Ramsey do this year.

Alworth No.19

ToughJ.Riggins said:
Alworth No.19 said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:
A 16 team BCS playoffs would be very nice to watch, with all the conference winners (minus the Sun Belt) getting automatic bids. Then there could be a full six at large bids (instead of four) using the same system as now. They could start the playoffs on a Thursday/Friday and end with the BCS championship 28 days later on a Thursday. The winning team would play 4 playoff games in 28 days. This would be where true grid iron warriors are made! They could also change the system to have a secondary, one game bowl schedule, where teams have to be 7-5 or better to qualify.

Alworth, I've reformed my above suggestion. In the above scenario, the Sunbelt should be disbanded and the members should be forced to enter other conferences. The Sun Belt conference is the weakest in the FBS- and them getting an automatic bid in the BCS playoffs would be a blowout joke. The BCS bowl playoffs would start the second Saturday of December and be run Saturdays/Mondays. The secondary bowl schedule could be run on Thursdays and Fridays, starting the second Thursday of December- with only 7-5 teams or better eligible. The latter would be one game bowls like now. Finally, the BCS championship game could be the 3rd Saturday of January in a pre-selected dome site, so this game would not conflict with the previous Saturday NFL game schedule.

I like the NCAA Tourney/NIT arrangement with the bowls. I guess I'm just a retrograde fan, but I still have an aversion to the college season running past New Year's Day. It was always such a nice conclusion to the season. I've even suggested the National Title game be played every January 1 in the Rose Bowl, just to put a period on the season in the most traditional way. That would never fly, of course. But I just don't understand the resistance to a playoff system. One is always told that it's revenue issue; but I'm convinced that a December playoff would be wildly profitable, eventually far surpassing March Madness. Oh well, many things don't make sense, I suppose.