Hatton’s own words

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hatton: "Mayweather fouled, Cortez did nothing"

By Mark Vester

Ricky Hatton (43-1, 31KOs), fresh off the first loss of his pro career, claims that Floyd Mayweather Jr. fouled him to death when the two fought last weekend at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Hatton, in an interview with Daily Express , says the cut above his eye was caused from a Mayweather elbow, and referee Joe Cortez did nothing to stop the foul-filled bout. The fouls, according to Hatton, took him away from his strategy and eventually led to Mayweather knocking him out in the tenth-round.

"But if I am honest, I feel a mug. My pride is hurt more than anything else because I made the cardinal sin of letting my emotions get the better of me so I didn't fight how I said I would. I made the mistake of losing my composure. My head went a bit. I'm not taking anything away from Floyd. He's a great champion. And I'm not exactly Mother Theresa in the ring myself. If I can get a sly one in there, crack in an elbow, I'll do it. That's boxing. But he fouled the living daylights out of me in there, using his forearms and stopping me working inside," Hatton said.

"I got cut, too - and that was from an elbow and that's when I lost my composure. Up to the halfway mark, I didn't think there was much in it. But I'm disappointed that I didn't do the little, subtle things I said I was going to do to win it."

Hatton does not place the blame with Floyd, he feels Cortez should take the weight of how the bout went. Cortez took a point away from Hatton in the contest, which the fighter claims was wrong becase no previous warnings were issued. He lost his head, and regrets bickering with the ref over the infraction.

"I believe that if you foul, you should have a point taken off. But you have to have a warning first and I don't remember being warned. I don't want to sound like a broken record going on. But, let's be honest, the ref was poor. It's his fault, not Floyd's.

"And I don't think I helped myself by being typical Ricky Hatton and giving the ref a load of four-letter stuff when he came to the corner to talk to me. That didn't help. After I had the point deducted, I just went a bit gung-ho, thinking that's all I could now do," said Hatton. "I really thought I could do this. I didn't say all the stuff I did just to make everyone feel better. I genuinely believed it and thought I could win. But I lost my rag and Floyd was so very clever."

G

Thanks! I've been posting all this on the Boxrec forum, too, and one of the Cortez-Mayweather asskissers big points - in fact their only point, aside from calling names and cursing and mocking - is that Hatton himself didn't protest. Well this gives the lie to that, too! Oh yes, I mustn't forget the new limpwristed trolls here too.

Cortez & Mayweather 1, Hatton 0.

ww

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Based only on the few reports I read about the fight, and without having had seen even a few seconds of it, I knew instinctively what had happened. I posted it here.
Hatton became angry, emotional, and frustrated and that made him tired and desperate. He deviated from his fight plan and he lost big.
I still haven't seen much of the fight, other than a few brief clips, but I'll take Hatton on his word: the referee had a significant influence.
However, one must wonder why he agreed to allow Cortez to referee the fight knowing that the referee was going to be a crucial part of his game plan. Further, why did Hatton not rough up Mayweather with his own elbows? If he was going to die he may as well of died with all guns blazing.

G

Man up. Get over the loss. Get ready to watch Marco Huck take a shot a Steve Cunningham's IBF 200 pound belt.

johnnyboy

Guru
nevada said:
Man up. Get over the loss. Get ready to watch Marco Huck take a shot a Steve Cunningham's IBF 200 pound belt.

hey man is that fight televised and if so do you know what network?

johnnyboy

Guru
werewolf said:
Thanks! I've been posting all this on the Boxrec forum, too, and one of the Cortez-Mayweather asskissers big points - in fact their only point, aside from calling names and cursing and mocking - is that Hatton himself didn't protest. Well this gives the lie to that, too! Oh yes, I mustn't forget the new limpwristed trolls here too.

Cortez & Mayweather 1, Hatton 0.

ww

dude let it go. what does calling me "limpwristed" get you? i get that you think my avatar is gay. u made that clear already. you "call names and curse and mock" more than anyone, especially on boxrec. thats why your threads get locked. its the same reason you got kicked off the Klitschko site.dude you do the same thing in all the boxing forums you go to. u say somethingcrazy, people laugh, you get mad and cal them names, then you get banned. the crappy part is that people herehavent seenyour behavioron othr forums. even the ricky hatton fans on boxrec (that i assume are white) disagree with you vehemently stating as fact that the fight was literally fixed....and theyre from england! but on this forum, when people disagree w you, you just call them "trolls" and then everyone jumps to your defence. i dont get it.

G

Shut up, limp wrist. Speak when you're spoken to. Every time some dimwitted mama's boy pushes his plump little finger down on the ban button reminds me that I'm doing it right!

"Man up. Get over the loss..."

No. Every time there's some in your face corruption in boxing they just want to immediately sweep it under the rug and forget about it - like, "Move along, folks, nothing to see here, forgedaboutit, it's over now, just plunk down your sheckels on the next big Don King PPV production!"

Boxing has always been crooked and infiltrated by mobsters, but it's getting worse instead of better. Much worse. My hope is that the Europeans, especially the Russians, start up a boxing organization to counter the crooked alphabet things.

ww

werewolf said:
No. Every time there's some in your face corruption in boxing they just want to immediately sweep it under the rug and forget about it

Was Cortez breaking up Hatton and Castillo in similar fashion and taking a point off Castillo early in their fight also an example of this "in your face corruption"?

Amren.com

Mentor
Trooper Thorn said:
werewolf said:
No. Every time there's some in your face corruption in boxing they just want to immediately sweep it under the rug and forget about it

Was Cortez breaking up Hatton and Castillo in similar fashion and taking a point off Castillo early in their fight also an example of this "in your face corruption"?

Just because Cortez may have been okay in a previous fight doesn't mean he was okay in this one.

G

Guys, come on lets move on. Hatton loss to a better fighter. PBF fought a great fight. I still have not mustered the strength to watch the replay. But Cortez was not the reason Hatton loss. Hatton lost because he lost his cool/focus and his corner didn't advise him correctly as I have stated previously.

Here is a major tip to Hatton. Start to demonstrate some f...ing discipline and not ballon up to a 180 lbs between fights! This will surely shorten his career. Great fighters i.e. Wlad, Leanord, Duran, Oscar and Mosely come back from losses. I am curious to see if Hatton Can.

If the outcome of this fight was reversed, the thought of PBF being robbed would go no play. Lets start to focus on Pavlik, Wlad and a new star, King Aurther Abraham. I believe this Abraham(Armenian) will be a star.

JD074

Master
I watched the replay this morning, and even though Mayweather would have won the decision regardless, there's no doubt that Cortez was overly involved. Absolutely no question about it. Hatton was not clinching in order to avoid a fight, and both fighters were clinching, so it was mutual. He should have let them sort it out themselves for a while longer. Dempsey clinched. Marciano clinched. What's the big friggin' deal? And as far as hitting to the back of the head, Mayweather turned his head to the right, and bent down, away from Hatton's right hand. It's hard to see how Hatton could avoid hitting him in the back of the head. Also, along with pushing off with the elbows, Mayweather was ducking under Hatton's arm in order to get a break as well.

Maple Leaf said:
However, one must wonder why he agreed to allow Cortez to referee the fight knowing that the referee was going to be a crucial part of his game plan.

They were satisfied with his performance in the Castillo fight.

Seahawker71

I too believe Cortez was influencing the fight a bit too much and Ricky was
getting most of the attention. That being said though I don't think the
result would have been any different.Hatton was getting hit with left hooks
all night long after the 5th. He was stunned at the end of the 8th and
stopped in the 10th both by left hooks.

All in all I'm happy for the Hatton family because PPV means big dollars in
the bank. I think Hatton should try to rule the roost in the Jr WW division. I
think the next showdown is Cotto vs Mayweather.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Seahawker71 said:
I too believe Cortez was influencing the fight a bit too much and Ricky was getting most of the attention. That being said though I don't think the result would have been any different.Hatton was getting hit with left hooks all night long after the 5th. He was stunned at the end of the 8th and stopped in the 10th both by left hooks.

Well, that's kind of the point of saying the ref is too involved. If he isn't as involved, maybe Hatton doesn't get hit with left hooks all night long after the 5th.

G

It was the most blatantly crooked display from a referee in the pros that I have ever seen, and that's saying a lot. Cortez made house ref Randy Neuman look competent and honest by comparison. I want to keep an eye on the Cortez family this Christmas and see how many fur coats and jewels and new cars Las Vegas Santa Claus Mafia buys Mrs. C and the little C's. The judges, too, were on the take, but that's just par for the course.

As or the rematch, yeah, that's what I said - and I want it to be in the UK with Hatton's mates doing the judging, and a specially built SMALL ring so Mayweather can't run away, and I want a nice specially selected referee to dog Mayweather too. Notorious British prison inmate Charles Bronson would do, I think. That would even things out, and we'll see how Hatton can do if he's permitted to fight on the inside, eh?

ww

Edited by: werewolf

pt.guard2

Guru
I too watched the replay and agree with you, JD074....
Cortez was overly agressive in breaking them up instead of letting them fight their way out of the clinches...in fact, he seemed to be anticipating a clinch before it happened and pulled them away even when they were not holding.

Hatton most likely would have lost a decision.....but it was a lot closer than most media people claimed (wonder if the reporter from S.I. even watched the fight) and Ricky probably fought Mayweather as tough as anyone has....at least when Mayweather did not have hand problems....like he did with Castillo....Edited by: pt.guard2

Amren.com

Mentor
About Cortes' performance...

http://boxing.about.com/

Mayweather-Hatton: Round-by-Round

Round Three: Hatton tries to turn fight into a brawl but Mayweather's holding and Cortez' over-officiating continues to stop the action. Floyd lands a flush right that opens a big cut over Hatton's right eye. Mayweather 10-9

Round Four: Hatton remains the aggressor but is not overly effective. Mayweather lands clean single shots and briefly hurts Hatton in middle of round. Cortez is way too involved in the action. Mayweather 10-9

Round Six: Mayweather turns back to Hatton along the ropes on ropes and Cortez takes a point from Hatton for hitting behind the head. Cortez needs to let them fight. Another tough round to score. Hatton is aggressor. Mayweather lands only clean punches of the round. Even 9-9