Greatest bodybuilders of all-time

Gary

Mentor
There have been a lot of really good bodybuilders.I don't mean the pretty boys who are on the "juice" and all look the same-these guys are rarely strong and not very athletic.I mean the old timers like John Grimek,Steve Reeves,Reg Park and Clancy Ross.These men build there muscles on hard training and good protien meals.Who else would you add to the list?

Gary

Mentor
Schwarzenegger's hero was Reg Park.There were others who were also very good-Dave Draper,Larry Scott,Frank Zane,Lou Ferrigno and Mickey Hargitay{who can forget Mickey's wife-Jayne Mansfield!!!!]

white lightning

Hall of Famer
If you guys get a chance,watch the 25th Anniversary
Edition of Pumping Iron with Arnold.It is a really
good documentary behind the scenes of bodybuilding.

kevin

Guru
darian yates was good. facco colombo was one of my favorites. i remember him in one of the early strong man competitions he did a great job.

Gary

Mentor
The main thing about bodybuilders these days is that they don't seem to be very strong,I've seen some in the Worlds Strongest Man Contest and they don't do well at all.I'd like to see more white males lifting and eating right,getting into sports.Big white kids rarely get pushed around and get there lunch money stolen.Who's going to kick sand in Ken Shamrocks face?Who would dare steal Paul Anderson's lunch?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good points Gary.As far as todays bodybuilders,Jay
Cutler is a beast.I think he will be the next Arnold.
He is even bigger than Coleman and got ripped off not
winning this years big title.Gunther is pretty big as
well as Superman,Lee Priest.I really enjoy watching both
strongman contests,weightlifting contests,and body
building.I love to workout myself.

Gary

Mentor
I remember some years ago watching a bodybuilding contest and everybody there was amazed at how big and impressive Lou Ferrigno looked and when they announced that the winner was Robbie Robinson-it was a shock-Lou said he was robbed and he would never go back to that place again.I lost interest in the sport after that,like most things in sports it became very politically correct.I also remember meeting Bob Hoffman once in York,Pennsylvania he was getting very old at this time but there were some very strong guys who trained at York.John Grimek and Steve Stanko were very strong and muscular.I like to see young whites training at football,basketball,judo,weightlifting,baseball,boxing.We can use lots of big strong white males.When I was a kid the white dads on television were tough and could take care of themselves like Ben Cartwright and Lucas McCain.Now it seems white dads on TV are lazy,stupid and weak.I'll take Ben Cartwright over both those idiots on Two and a half men.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Another great bodybuilder was Mike Mentzer. I guess my favorite is Arnold though. In the modern era, Dorian Yates, and in the future, who knows. As far as women go, Cory Everson and Rachel McLish did more for the sport than any of the others combined, and they still looked like women. These superhuge, ugly "women" don't count.

Gary

Mentor
Mike Mentzer was great and so was his brother Ray-sadly both died within 2 days of each other back in 2001.When I was a real young guy I though Reg Park was the very best and after all these years I still feel the same way.I saw Hercules starring Steve Reeves years ago and sent away for the Charles Atlas course.That course planted good seeds in my life to never smoke or drink and it has stayed with me all my life.I hate to see young people smoke,drink and waste there lives.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, most bodybuilders portray a clean lifestyle that emphasizes healthy habits. We could all use that.

G

You guys have any info on Chuck Sipes. I read he could bench 590 and do curls with 225 at a bodyweight of 225 in the pre-steroid era. He did a lot of power rack training. I think the guy with the best genetics for bodybuilding I ever saw was Sergio Olivia. Man, what a freak! The guy had a 29 inch waist and a 57 inch chest. The only guy who ever beat him was Arnold.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I've heard of Chuck but don't have any info on him. Sergio was a force, no doubt.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Modern body building physiques are made in the chemistry lab. My wife thinks the best physique belonged to Steve Reeves who also was handsome and had great hair. Women like looks and hair more than muscles.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bart, Your right about the suppliments and steroids that a lot of guys take. The natural bodybuilders look much better than the drugged up ones. They are much more proportional and still have aspects of that Steve Reeves look.

JD074

Master
I agree guys, the steroid-free bodybuilders of yesteryear had
far more aesthetic physiques. They were like Greek
sculptures, as opposed to the freakish, barely human
caricatures of today, like Ronnie Coleman. And I agree that
women don't dig it either.

How about Eugen Sandow, one of the pioneering bodybuilders
in the late 18th and early 19th centuries? He looked great
while using the most basic equipment and nutrition. Barbells,
food, and good genes. That was most of it. No steroids,
hormones, or expensive machines. And those guys
emphasized good health and clean living, a philosophy that is a
far cry from the "get big and cut at all costs" philosophy of
modern bodybuilding. And many were strongmen so they
emphasized real world strength, not just big isolated body
parts.

Here's Sandow:

http://www.classicbodybuilders.com/bodybuilder/eugensandow
2.jpg

I agree about Sipes, he looked great:

http://www.classicbodybuilders.com/bodybuilder/chucksipes/ch
ucksipes1.jpg

I also like Alan C. Mead. He lost his leg in WWI, became a
bodybuilder and built a great upper body.

http://www.sandowmuseum.com/page89.html

I'll take their physiques over the drug-induced balloon muscles
of Ronnie Coleman any day of the week.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Your right JD074, Sandow was a true pioneer and legend. He really started it all. He was way ahead of his time with his physique.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Although he is not a body builder,Jack LaLane has had as
much impact on weight lifting as anyone that has ever
lived.He is in his 80's and still is the picture of
health.He has and will always be one of my lifetime
idols.He did it the right way.Jack can still do 100
fingertip pushups in his 80's.He also still does
incredible stunts every few years to show how good
shape he is in.One of the best guys that you could
ever meet.

Gary

Mentor
Jack LaLanne should be an example to us all,he is in great shape.Charles Atlas lived to be 79 and ran at the beach every day.I'd like to see young white males take better care of themselves.Drinking,smoking,junk food,dope,to much television and computer games will weaken the race.Every white father should see that his children eat right and get enough exercise.GET TOUGH WHITE MALES!!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree Gary!

Arnold is one of the best of course but i really admired Mr. Frank Zane.He competed at 190lbs and won Mr. OLympia. I myself do compete in Natural Bodybuilding competitions.We are all Drug Tested whichis great .

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cool onewarrior5. Who are your favorite women in the sport?

G

Greatest bodybuilder in terms of impact is the Governator Arnie

Greatest in terms of the raw genetics is Ronnie Coleman.

And no its not becaus he is black he just has the best set of genetics at this time.

Prime Arnie 6,1 240 lbs

Coleman 5,11 290 lbs

And yes Arnie used every Steroid available to him at the time just as Coleman uses every steroid available to him today. So any comment that Coleman uses steriods is bunk every pro bodybuilder today and in Arnies times used or uses them.

White_Savage

Mentor
Body building is BS though. There will be even more advances in chemical *******tails, and there will someday be a white man with a physique even more grossly bloated and deformed than Colemans, but what will such offenses against nature prove?

It's interesting that power athletes in general look well muscled but don't have the cartoonish quality of body builders, that body builders are relatively weak beside such men. Also interesting is that whites often exhibit more raw strength in weight lifting and other tests than more muscular appearing blacks. It seems that white muscle gets the same job done in a smaller package, and while it may not serve vanity as well, that sort of effeciency spells superiority to me.