Garrett Mills

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mills will probably play some at fullback and tight end, but he won't be a running back. He should be a wide receiver in the NFL as we discussed in his College Football Stars thread but that won't happen.

At TE New England now has Mills and fellow white rookie David Thomas out of Texas who is very talented, along with two black veterans who were both first round picks -- Daniel Graham and Ben Watson. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Graham has been the subject of trade rumors as he has been mostly a hands-of-stone disappointment. Watson had just 29 catches last year in his second season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
They drafted Laurence Maroney in the first round this year so Evans may get a carry now and then from his fullback position, but that's it. Hopefully Evans will beat out Pass and be the starter but as of now he's listed as the backup even though he's bigger, faster, and presumably a stronger and better blocker than Pass.

backrow

Hall of Famer
lol, Lumsden... Tampa Bay, and not nearly as much as couple of seasons ago...Edited by: backrow

Freedom

Mentor
I don't know if you all recall but the Patriots gave Eckel a shot in preseason and then cut for some reason. Was it the military thing and his leave expired? Last time I checked he was with Miami, a death sentence.

Anyways, Eckel was outstanding but he vanished. Garrett Mills' story will be Eckel's story's even crapier sequal.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Mills and David Thomas mightthrive in New England, though maybe not right away. Bill Belichick isn't much for white receivers but I think he drafted Mills and Thomas because he sees their potential as tight ends. Mills may be used as an H-back. That's how Chris Cooley was used last year and he became a star with the Redskins.

The problems are two black tight ends who were first round picks also being on the team, and the way Tom Brady spreads the ball around. Brady is a great quarterback, but so far none of hisreceiversand tight ends have had big numbers because of the way the Patriots offense is executed.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Somebody can say to me how Norm Chow is white white player(Drew Bennett)Because now that his second year and Bennett don't have a ''great'' season last year(ok he was injured)..I just want to know his vision of white player..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting article about possible collusion and how Mills became a Viking. I guess Brad Childress in his stumblebum way is still trying to move away from Mike Tice's despicable era of employing a virtually all-black team and ignoring blatant criminality and thug behavior:

http://lions.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=675315

lumsdenpower

Mentor
What the name of the fullback at minneasota who was fullback and now TE??..
maybe the same thing is gonna happen to Mills ..In Mills I can see a player like Chris Cooley

backrow

Hall of Famer
lumsdenpower said:
What the name of the fullback at minneasota who was fullback and now TE??..
maybe the same thing is gonna happen to Mills ..In Mills I can see a player like Chris Cooley

Kleinsasser is a great blocker, but by now he's pretty much a glorified tackle. sans the glorified. he's basically an extra blocker, really. i don't think this will happen to Mills, since he's not that good of a blocker and of course, he's smaller and better a receiver.

Mills is an interesting pickup by the Vikings, but my best guess is that he won't make the active roster much this season barring a wave of injuries. The only way I can see him finding a role would be as a 3rd down back. The Vikings Halfbacks are Adrian Peterson, Chester Taylor and Mewelde Moore, none of which are particuarly adept at pass protection. The Fullbacks are Tony Richardson, Jeff Dugan (A converted White TE) and Nahui Tafu, none of which are known as receiving threats. At Tight End the Vikes have Jim Kleinsasser who is still a great point of attack blocker, but has been all but forgotten in the passing game over the past several seasons, they have Visanthe Shiancoe who epitomizes the "Great Black Recieving threat who can't catch", and then Mills. Mills could also possibly be a slot reciever given the Vikings complete lack of proven split ends and flankers.

The one thing I have noticed about Childress in regards to the Caste system is that he doesn't have the balls to do the right thing. Tarvaris Jackson is clearly not an NFL calibur Quarterback, yet he is being handed the job without competition. Not a single White Wide Receiver or Defensive Back was brought into Camp this offseason. Visanthe Shiancoe was named the starter this past spring, over Kleinsasser who had previously held the job for the better part of a decade, despite never having been a starter before.

I've been a huge Vikings fan since I was 5 years old, and over the past 3 or so seasons I have lost almost all interest in the team. I wanted to buy my 10 year old a jersey for Christmas last year and couldn't find anyone worthy, as all the Whites lacked Star Power.

I think its clearly not a coincidence that this team is run by a son of a supposed "Holocaust" survivor. He has left nearly 20 million in unspent cap dollars on the table this season, making the mandated minimum through phony bonuses that will never be met. Mark my words, this team will be out of Minneapolis before this owner is done. His intent was to fleece the taxpayers to fund his development project (That's how he made his fortune), using the stadium as a centerpiece. I expect some city will be dumb enough to give him what he wants.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mills, now in his fourth NFL season, is languishing in pergatory on the Vikings' practice squad. I'd like to hear the official company line on what his alleged deficiencies are.
smiley6.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mills, a record setting tight end at Tulsa, has never had anything close to an opportunity to succeed in the NFL. He should have been used as a WR or a hybrid TE/WR like Evan Moore (hopefully) may be used by the Browns. Now he goes back to the team that originally screwed him over:

Patriots claimed TE/FB Garrett Mills off waivers from the Bengals. Mills was a fourth-round draft pick of the Pats back in 2006. An H-back type, he has an uphill climb to make a roster already deep in tight ends. OT Zach Roth was waived to create roster space.

Most NFL teams seem to have a fear of using great receiving White tight ends that way, as receiving tight ends. Dallas Clark is the rare exception to the rule. They force them to beef up and be good blockers, which of course detracts from what made them great receivers in the first place. I fear Chase Coffman will also be wasted the way Mills has.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I remember hoping for great things in the way of Garrett Mills' career in his college thread. It was awesome to see him in the 2005 Liberty Bowl, adding to his records. Maybe something good will happen to him still, but it is hard to be optimistic about his chances at this point.