Four blacks must start

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Rugby-Four blacks must start for South African Super-14 sides

JOHANNESBURG, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Four black players must be included in the starting lineups for the five South African teams in this year's Super-14 competition, South Africa Rugby Union (SARU) chief executive Johan Prinsloo said on Friday.

Prinsloo told the Business Day newspaper that each Super 14 franchise had to include eight black players in its squads, with six in every match 22 and four in the starting lineups.

He said SARU's strict approach in this year's expanded southern hemisphere competition was aimed at helping South Africa coach Jake White increase his pool of experienced black players.

"I admit that we have not delivered on some of our transformation objectives in the past, but the coaches now understand the significance of the process," Business Day quoted Prinsloo as saying.

"The president, Brian van Rooyen, has made it clear that we will not accept excuses and that the transformation process will be monitored carefully."

Some black members of the national team, including prop Lawrence Sephaka and flank Solly Tyibilika, struggled to get game time in last season's Super 12 competition.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i am a rugby guy, i played with some Afrikaans players over last few seasons and i gotta say, they are just better at this sport than blacks... if there are black players that merit playing time, by all means give it to them... but don't make up crazy rules JUST basing them on skin color...
this is actually a step back as far as racism goes...
when will NFL comes out with saying, since there is such high percentage of white population in US we REQUIERE that there will be at least 2 white runningback, 3 wide receivers and 2 cornerbacks in the league, and 1 of them must be starting...

this decision is total and utter BS... give jobs to BEST players not black players...