Football Equipment Thread

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep back, that is Steed's standard Riddell Kra-Lite model. You still see it on youth helmets these days, but thats about it.

That second mask is a modified Schutt Bulldog, which came out a few years back. The original Bulldog can be seen on page two of this thread. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Interesting list C Darwin. I always thought the original Saints helmet design was awesome.

dwid

Hall of Famer
i know this is an old thread, but does anyone know what kind of helmet danny woodhead wore in college? i have this autographed card of him and it almost reminds me of a lacrosse helmet, i can only find a very small picture of it on ebay, but i dont know how to upload a pic

edit: i finnally found it, its not a riddell like on all the pics on the net, its a Schutt DNA of some sort but i can't find the particular face mask, it looks really funny on him, i wonder if he wore it in games or he just put it on for a photo for the cardEdited by: dwid

PhillyBirds

Mentor
pg2_g_landeta_195.jpg

Journeyman punter Sean Landeta also wore the one-bar under the grandfather clause. He retired officially following the 2007 season, after being a free agent after 2006.

Interesting note: When Sean retired he was the last active NFL player to have also played in the now-defunct USFL (for the Philadelphia Stars in 1983).

EDIT: Colonel, right as usual.Edited by: PhillyBirds

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Philly, you mean Sean retired after the 2007 season right? Wikipedia says he retired on March 6, 2008. I really liked watching Sean punt with the single bar.

dwid, Danny Woodhead wore a Riddell Revolution while at Chadron State. The Revolutionwent into mass production in 2002 after a bunch of studies on concussions led Riddell to redesign their helmets. It is a very common helmet now. In fact, Ibelieve it is now the most common helmet in use. Here are a couple of pics of him in his Revo.

dannywoodhead.jpg

t1_woodhead2.jpg

dwid

Hall of Famer
i finally found out what it was, a Schutt 2025 DNA helmet, but every picture has him wearing what you posted, the revolution helmet, maybe he just wore this for a photo shoot to put on the card, it looks really funny on him for some reason

PhillyBirds

Mentor
REVO_1a.jpg

Here's the helmet I wore last year in high school. Our colors were blue and gold, like the new St. Louis Rams uniforms (except we had gold helmets). Our logo on the helmet was the Pittsburgh Panther.

old+panther.jpg

From what I was told, my alma mater is the only high school in the nation officially licensed by Pitt to use that logo. You guys really rekindled my love of equipment, especially helmets and facemasks! I think facemasks reveal a lot of the characteristics and personality of the player behind it.Edited by: PhillyBirds

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
dwid, I think Danny must have worn it for a shoot, because the Schutt 2025 DNA is a youth helmet. They do make DNA helmets for adults, but the numbers are 2020 and 7960.

2025 Youth Model

Philly, how comfortable is that Revolution? I've never worn one.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Compared to the bowling ball I had my freshman through junior years, it felt like I stuck my head in a cloud. It felt great.

It's probably this "light" feeling that made me uneasy about it. I tended to use my head a lot (for better or for worse) and suffered from migraine headaches for the first time in my career, as I've mentioned before. I know they're higher tech, but I'm still wary of them, personally.Edited by: PhillyBirds

PhillyBirds

Mentor
610x.jpg

Not exactly the same, but Philadelphia TE Matt Schobel wears a very similar mask to the "cow catcher" mentioned before.

I believe Steelers QB Byron Leftwich also wears one of these.Edited by: PhillyBirds

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I guess it does look sort of similar to it, at least in how the bottom bars go over the face, but the attachments are totally different.

dwid

Hall of Famer
oops, heh didnt realize it was a youth helmet, its the only schutt i could find online with a similiar face mask, i couldnt find the same looking model in adult, but im sure they have it

i mean the 2020 model, thats the face mask it looks most like except it has an extra bar
i originally made the 2025 post and it said it didnt go through because they thought i was spamming? so i just edited my first post, still cant find the exact face mask, i keep thinking i do, and then reexamine both the card and the picture and theres one minor difference every time, his in the card is very long, but has a bar through the bottom middle like the 2020 i found an adult one that looked pretty much like it but it did not have that bar.

edit: i think i found out why its different, its a pic from the hula bowl, hes got that patch on his jersey, but it still looks like a chadron state helmet, the logo, wish i could find it, it looks weird but kind of cool in the same way
couldnt see the hula bowl thing in the small pic on the card, its funny how i got this card, its one of those autographed cards, they have boxes of cards your supposed to pay for at the store that come with 2 autographed cards, and i thought you could open them up and buy the individual packs and one of the individual packs had them in there (they were out of individuals) and i opened it up a tom zbikowski and danny woodhead card that fell out, i bought some invidual packs and those two, and the cashier said she couldnt find them in the system, so they were free, it wasnt til later that i realized that all autographed cards come with no sleeve just in the box unprotected, not in a pack or anything, but your supposed to buy the box to get them, i thought someone had a pack and didnt want those two guys and left them in there, so what seemed to be my lucky day actually was some sort of theft which made me feel bad, but when i went back the store didnt care saying "these guys are nobodies"Edited by: dwid

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
scan0006.jpg

I'm guessing that is the picture. If so, it is a Schutt DNA. dwid, you do realize they make dozens of different types of facemasks that are interchangeable between adult helmets, right? They don't make helmets with just one facemask style. Anyway, here's the page where you can see them all.

[url]http://www.schuttsports.com/aspx/Sport/ProductListing.aspx?s p=3&id=86&cid=156#260[/url]

dwid

Hall of Famer
well thats not the exact picture, but its the same helmet, looks a bit weird on him from a frontal view, i knew they made a few different facemasks but not dozens, the site i was looking at i couldnt find the particular one but the site you provided has it, looks to be the dna egop II, thanks for the help
i wish i had the card u posted, i have one with a frontal view, i dont know how many they produced, hopefully less than 250 so it will be a rarity heh

what do you think offers more protection, the riddell revolution or schutt dna?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I couldn't say dwid, having never worn either of them. The newest helmet I used on the field was a 1992 model Schutt Pro AIR. The Schutt DNA Pro is a slightly newer design than the Riddell Revolution, but I don't know which is the safest.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Subject: Austin Collie's changing facemasks

Here's Austin as a freshmanin 2004, wearing a tall but fairly commonQB/WR/TE mask. The standard (non-tall) version would be like what Brett Favre wears.

austin_collie_2004.jpg

Collie went on a mission and missed the 2005 and 2006 seasons. In 2007, his facemask/helmet story starts getting complicated. Its hard to tell with these pictures exactly when he wore all of them, but one thing is for sure, Austin wore at least three different facemask combos last season and at least 2 different helmets, probably trying to find something comfortable after being out of the game for so long.

This photo is from the UCLA game on September 8, 2007. Notice the facemask is the same as his 2004 unit.

610x.jpg

This one is undated, but must be from either the Arizona or Air Force games, as they were at home. Still the old mask.

555595.jpg

Now things start to change. I call this the Eli Manning style mask, although it too has a funny designation from the manufacturerfrom whichI will spare you. I presume this one to be from a mid-season home game, maybe against Eastern Washington, Colorado State, or Texas Christian.

colliea_cu.jpg

By the last game of the regular season, against San Diego State, Austin was wearing another mask, and a different helmet.

2327083.jpg

He wore this samemask in the Las Vegas Bowl against UCLA on December 22, 2007.

610x.jpg

2008-Austin is wearing what has come to be a fairly standard kicker mask, double bar on top with the minimal jaw protection on the bottom. This mask gives superior vision. Ted Ginn Jr. wore one of these at Ohio State and now with the Miami Dolphins.

austincolliescores.jpg

I'm curious to see if Austin switches masks again this season, plus we'll have him around for another year, so we'll see what happens. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

PhillyBirds

Mentor
If anyone wondered what sort of helmet TE Chris Cooley of the Redskins is wearing, according to his blog it's a prototype version of a new Revolution. Really peculiar looking, but I'm sure very confortable.

(Pictures are huge, so I'm just going to link them.)

Picture 1

Picture 2

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cool! Very interesting piece. The pre-Revolution Schutt masks are getting hard to find now, as I think some of the went out or will be going out of production soon. I am a fan of small facemasks myself, even though as a lineman I had a big mask.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Since I'm on the topic of BYU player's facemasks. Check out former QB John Beck's yearly changes.

Beck2003.jpg

Beck2004.jpg

Beck2005.jpg

Beck2006.jpg

Gi-15

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
2008-Austin is wearing what has come to be a fairly standard kicker mask, double bar on top with the minimal jaw protection on the bottom. This mask gives superior vision. Ted Ginn Jr. wore one of these at Ohio State and now with the Miami Dolphins.

Hey, why not? the principal problem of a smaller facemask like that one is eye and nose protection. When paired with an eyeshield there is no such problem. Watch out on rainy days though!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Gi-15, I like the smaller masks too. I never knew anyone who wore a visor when I was in high school. They were really rare back in those days. I think they are cool though. Both Austin Collie and Ted Ginn Jr. wear visors with their smaller masks.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Gi-15 said:
Hey, why not? the principal problem of a smaller facemask like that one is eye and nose protection. When paired with an eyeshield there is no such problem. Watch out on rainy days though!

I am also told that they can occasionally fog up if it is particularly hot or humid. And I imagine they can get muddy in a hurry as well.

I always wanted a dark visor on my high school helmet but my dad never let me!
smiley36.gif
I think they're pretty intimidating!

p1_dawkins2.jpg

I never thought they are particularly practical, but they look cool. Brain Dawkins says he wears it so the opposing team can't read his eyes, whatever that means. Colonel, everytime you revive this thread I get so excited! I love this stuff.Edited by: PhillyBirds

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
PhillyBirds, I'm glad you enjoy the equipment thread. It is one of my pet subjects here at CF.
smiley4.gif
Going back to our discussion from last year of players who wear 2 point chin straps, I have been forgetting to post this pic for a couple of weeks, but Kai Forbath, UCLA's kicker, wears one. I noticed it during their first game against Tennessee. Here is the chin strap in question. Again, I'd like to get a copy of the NCAA rulebook to know for sure whether they have omitted the rule requiring 4 point straps. If not, these men are true rebels!
smiley36.gif

Forbath.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb