Florida DB snubbed

This is one of the best storys I have come across. Safety Corey Silcox from Blountstown Florida and teammate runningback Chance Attaway.

Silcox was a four year starter totaling 475 tackles 14 ints and a 3 time all state and all big bend performer had to walk on at Troy University as a Linebacker. When he got there he measured in at 5'11 228lbs and ran a 4.58 40yd dash. Benched 365 and 225 22x. he left the team because they wouldnt even put him on special teams. Ive heard hes back but im not sure. This is the same kid that had likea 93 sparq rating at the nike combine while setting the db bench record with 41 reps. thats right 0 scholarship offers out of 119 schools. last game had to man up with Ocala trinity TE lex peek who is considered by many to be one of the best te in the state standing at 6'5 220. Silcox held him 0 catches for the first time in his career.

Attaway was a tailback at 5'10 195 with a 4.4 40yd dash. Set school records in rushing yards and touchdowns while at his school. the only offer he had was from fiu who just finished the season up with one of the first 12 loss seasons in ncaa history. In his last game as a senior he had to playboth ways so he locked up on Ocala Trinity Catholic WR Dion Lecorn who is going to florida next year. held him to 1 catch for 6 yards.

All that and only one of them had an offer. They played and beat players like Marcus Sims fsu, ochuco jenje fsu, carlton salters ark, ash parker fiu, jeremy dickens fiu, javareas knight famu, deion lecorn uf committ, patrick nelson uf committ. But of course all of these guys are black.

whiteCB

Master
Yeah this kind of stuff happens all the time up here in Ohio as well. I know a guy who went on a recruiting trip to Pitt only to be told when he arrived there that they didn't know he was white. So he obviously never heard from Pitt again. Your average person doesn't know the amount of racism going on when it comes to football recruiting.

The same thing hapeened to silcox and attaway on a recruiting trip to florida. they were both suppose to leave withan offer that day. never heard from again.

johnnyboy

Guru
i wonder what ever happened to these guys? anybody know?

shame that good athletes can't find a place to shine. hopefully one day that will end.

cheers

G

I got off some website that Corey Silcox went to Troy but i have no clue if he is playing

For Chance Attaway he played one season at FIU in 2006 and carried the ball 15 times for 22 yards and he hasn't been on their roster since

johnnyboy

Guru
redick0829 said:
I got off some website that Corey Silcox went to Troy but i have no clue if he is playing For Chance Attaway he played one season at FIU in 2006 and carried the ball 15 times for 22 yards and he hasn't been on their roster since 

it's a damn shame. they shold have tried to atleast walk on Colorado St.

onlytimewilltel said:
The same thing hapeened to silcox and attaway on a recruiting trip to florida.  they were both suppose to leave with an offer that day.  never heard from again.

What we need to do is figure out how players like Riley Cooper go into Florida, or how Jacob Hester and Craig Steltz got into LSU. We need to teach all the white HS players how these guys did it, what processes they went through, how they overcame the stereotypes, etc. I think one thing that separates these players with the others is their ability to deal with discrimination. I bet Hester and the like somewhat laughed off the white RB jokes, with saying things like "I may be white, but watch me truck your a**." I bet some white recruits are so shocked when race is brought up, that they get turned off, which gives off a bad vibe and shows that they are disinterested and/or couldn't handle being in that environment. We need to teach these kids how the others acted on their recruiting trips, how they and their coaches got their name out, etc. so they can wind up with scholarship offers, and not just wonder what could have been.

Electric Slide said:
onlytimewilltel said:
The same thing hapeened to silcox and attaway on a recruiting trip to florida.  they were both suppose to leave with an offer that day.  never heard from again.

What we need to do is figure out how players like Riley Cooper go into Florida, or how Jacob Hester and Craig Steltz got into LSU. We need to teach all the white HS players how these guys did it, what processes they went through, how they overcame the stereotypes, etc. I think one thing that separates these players with the others is their ability to deal with discrimination. I bet Hester and the like somewhat laughed off the white RB jokes, with saying things like "I may be white, but watch me truck your a**." I bet some white recruits are so shocked when race is brought up, that they get turned off, which gives off a bad vibe and shows that they are disinterested and/or couldn't handle being in that environment. We need to teach these kids how the others acted on their recruiting trips, how they and their coaches got their name out, etc. so they can wind up with scholarship offers, and not just wonder what could have been.
How do you propose to teach them? In some seminars? Good luck trying to get a bunch of white athletes together without attaching a negative stigma to it. You know the media would never allow such a thing unless it was for black players only, in which it would be encouraged and highly publicized.
smiley7.gif

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, like there probably isn't an all white college anymore. The media though, doesn't have problems with Grambling, and the other all black schools.

ManifestDestiny said:
How do you propose to teach them? In some seminars? Good luck trying to get a bunch of white athletes together without attaching a negative stigma to it. You know the media would never allow such a thing unless it was for black players only, in which it would be encouraged and highly publicized.
smiley7.gif

Obviously some players have done it, so we would have to find out how they did it, and funnel the information an online resource that explains the process and white players can be directed to it. It can contain written materials, videos with interviews, etc. The white players wouldn't get in "trouble" for doing the things that the site recommends, because it's things white players have already done.