Fighting the times

Triad

Mentor
Mississippi's liberal main newspaper puts out a story (about once a month, always on a Sunday) designed to induce white guilt and black rage. They rewrite an assortment of stories detailing the persecution of Mississippi's minorities throughout the 20th century. Popular topics include graphic details about Emmitt Till, the trio from Mississppi Burning, or Medgar Evers. This Sunday they decided to publish an interview with an aging former state legislature. Needless to say, political correctness doesn't bother him.

Clarion Ledger said:
Former Sovereignty Commission member speaks out

By Billy Watkins

Keith Warren/The Clarion-Ledger

Horace Harned, a former state lawmaker and member of the state Sovereignty Commission, talks to reporter Jerry Mitchell on Feb. 20, 2007, in his home in Starkville. Harned served 24 years in the state legislature.

STARKVILLE â€â€￾ Horace Harned, 86 and going strong, spent 24 years in the Mississippi Legislature. He enjoyed the "games" of lawmaking, the power and prestige that went with it.

Harned is educated, well-read, articulate ... and a hard-line segregationist who says he is famous because "I'm the last person (in Mississippi) trying to stand up for constitutional government and state's rights."

He is one of the last surviving members of the now-defunct Sovereignty Commission, a secret segregationist spy agency headed by the governor. He served on it from 1964 through 1970. He also was a member of the Citizens' Council, created by white Mississippi professionals to preserve segregation.

He has been interviewed at his home by CBS, NBC, ABC's Nightline, The New York Times Magazine and a French television crew, among others. It's hard to say whether they come for his insight or to hear what just might pop out of his mouth next.

Such as: "Mississippi's in sad shape because we've got so many black officials," he says, his voice sagging as if his favorite puppy had gone missing. "Columbus has a black mayor. So does Jackson. And anywhere you've got a black mayor, you're going to have more crime. History teaches us that. Since a white man passed the laws on the books, why should blacks enforce them? That's kinda their feelings, I think."

And while the nation has applauded Mississippi's efforts in recent years to right past wrongs by reopening homicide cases from the civil-rights era - the most recent being the Jan. 24 arrest of 71-year-old James Seale for his alleged involvement in the kidnappings that lead to the 1964 slayings of African-American teenagers Charles Eddie Moore and Henry Hezekiah Dee - Harned deems it senseless.

"It does nothing but stir up animosity," he says.

When asked about Edgar Ray Killen's conviction in 2004 for helping plot the 1964 murders of civil-rights workers James Chaney, Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman outside Philadelphia, Harned shakes his head.

"They came down here looking for trouble, and that's what they got," he says. "But, again, I don't believe in murder. They maybe could've gotten 'em out there and whipped 'em a little bit, but they shouldn't have murdered them. The Klan, they felt too much ... well, they were unreasonable killing those boys.

"But when you start bringing them cases up, it makes worldwide news and gives Mississippi a black eye. Mississippi will be held out specifically more than others. But it shouldn't have happened. I don't know ..."

After graduating from Mississippi State University in 1942 with a degree in geology, Harned served four years in the Air Force as an aerial photographer. He returned to run a plantation after leaving the service in 1946.

Harned's property joins that of Mississippi State football coach Sylvester Croom - the first African-American head football coach in Southeastern Conference history.

Harned is a die-hard Bulldogs fan and says he never had a problem with Croom's hiring. "Most of the players are black, anyway," he reasons.

If Harned's views appear complicated and filled with contradiction, they seem always to have been that way.

"We had many conversations, but Horace always thought he was right," says Robert Clark, the first African American elected to the Legislature in Mississippi since Reconstruction. "He had been raised to think a certain way, and that's what he believed.

"Around 1970, when I was proposing early childhood education and compulsory school attendance, Horace told me those were communist ideas. He said, 'You can't tell people what they should do with their children.' He was so far to the right that he was out of touch with most people who considered themselves to be right wing."

Although Harned wasn't "one of those ranting and raving segregationists," says Bill Minor, a longtime Mississippi political writer, "you certainly knew where he stood."

"When the three civil-rights workers were killed, Horace Harned came out and said, 'We don't support violence' - meaning the Citizens' Council," says David Sansing, history professor emeritus at the University of Mississippi. "But the problem is people like Harned created an environment in which people could commit acts of violence, knowing they wouldn't be apprehended, tried and convicted."

During a four-hour interview at his home, Harned says Mississippi is a long way from becoming a peaceful racial melting pot. "One thing's for sure - the white folks have to stick together," he says. "We've got blacks coming on, getting elected to the Legislature and as mayors. And they've worked hard and deserve that. But they have a different culture from ours. We have to let them have their culture, and we have to hope they will let us have ours.

"The Good Lord made us different for a reason. He's the judge, the best judge."

James Meredith's enrollment at the University of Mississippi in 1962, which broke the color barrier and sparked riots on the Oxford campus by angry white students, was a communist plot, according to Harned.

"The communists wanted to stir up trouble between the whites and the blacks, and they figured this was a good way to make us weak," Harned says. "They figured if they could destroy Christianity, they could destroy America. And they figured Mississippi was a good place to start because we had more blacks than most states.

"The battle continues. Today, the Marxists pit blacks against whites, Jews against Gentiles, poor folks against rich folks. And the country is more divided now than I've ever seen it. I thought the 9-11 bombings might wake people up, but that didn't last long."

He says the late civil-rights activist the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. "was a phony" and the annual holiday to remember his legacy "is the greatest farce perpetrated on an ignorant, uninformed, misinformed populace to solve a guilt complex and to oil a squeaky wheel."
Edited by: Triad

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Does he want to run for President? He's got my vote.
smiley20.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great post Triad! There are still a lot of people who hold those opinions in my Mississippi, and I thank God they do, otherwise things would be five times as bad as they are now. The only way to stopblack idiocy from running rampant is to stand up to them.

Triad

Mentor
This is a true conservative politician. Just the type of educated and articulate individual that is repeatedly labeled an ignorant, backwards Mississippian to the rest of the country.

I thought you would like it, Colonel.

A hell of a lot better than the dog crap on televison that want the position. Hit the nail on the head on complusory attendence in public school. Most of these troublemakers wouldn't be there if it were not for that and people would learn more. The powers that be will be happy when these types of thoughts die out. Well let's keep the thoughts alive.

Bronk

Mentor
Guys like Horace Harned have always been portrayed as hateful, backward idiots, but his statement that, "(Blacks) have a different culture from ours," shows a better understanding of the situation than any Liberal or lilly-livered neo-con. He's not stupid, he fought for his beliefs (via the Sovereignty Commission) and he's not a coward who self-censors his true feelings, I admire that.

Who should we fear more, a man like Harned who says, 'You can't tell people what they should do with their children' or those social engineers who use kids like lab rats to test their hairbrained theories?
Edited by: Bronk

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Much like Lester Maddox before him, Mr.Harned is a great American and a credit to all Southerners!

Triad

Mentor
The state's top news story today is from the year 1964 as this newspaper begins a series of stories on the life of a 71 year old man accused of killing two blacks 43 years ago.
Article

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wonder how long it will be before these witch-hunts end? I could tell you aboutseveral cases ofblack on white crime in the Delta for which justice will be a long time coming. Why? Seems as though nobody is in a hurry to lock up blacks and throw away the keys. This double standard has sickened me since I was 12 years old. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Triad

Mentor
Precisely the same media that ignores the Knoxville murders or Wichita Massacre can't get enough of 1960's civil rights crimes. There have been plenty of unsolved murders and other atrocities commited in the last 40 years to fill a newspaper but these editors are infatuated by the thought of 70-80 year old white men in handcuffs. I would assume a comparison of interracial murders in Mississippi during the 20th century would be one sided.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'd agree with your assumption, Triad. Let us not forget about the L.D. Smith case. For those who don't remember my first post on this issue, here it is again.
<H2>Call for Reopening of the L. D. Smith Murder Case </H2>
<H3>Sovereignty files unexpectedly resurrect Vietnam War coverup </H3>

"WASHINGTON -- The clamor by minorities to prosecute pro-majority activists from thirty years ago may be backfiring. The opening of Mississippi Sovereignty Commission files was carefully orchestrated and hailed by the ACLU as a way of uncovering secrets about sixties' anti-communists with an eye toward prosecuting them. Instead, Ellee Dahmer (black) came away empty-handed with simply a stack of papers which showed that her father had stirred up minorities as part of Martin Luther King's "fill up the jails" project. Dahmer had been consumed in the violence he had stirred up. The most intriguing and sensational disclosure, however, turned out to be a memo on the slaying of L. D. Smith.
Mysterious Circumstances

Smith, a Marine infantryman, made hometown news by objecting to officers' telling him that he could not wear a Mississippi Flag, which features the Confederate Flag, on his combat fatigues in Vietnam. After segregationist Governor John Bell Williams and others intervened, the Marine brass backed down. Smith became a Southern hero. A few days after, Smith was killed by minorities. The Marines declared the death an "accident." Now, a secret memo from Commissioner Webb Burke to Congressman William Colmer reveals that a Congressional inquiry was demanded into the "mysterious circumstances" of Smith's death. L. D. Smith, Sr., of Shelby, Mississippi, told Richard Barrett, who carried the Mississippi Flag at the 1969 funeral, that "we know they murdered him and it's being covered up."

Handling the request for an investigation at the time was Trent Lott, the young administrative assistant to Colmer. Lott, now Senate majority leader, has not said if he will push for an investigation. There is no statute of limitations on murder. Nationalists immediately said that the case should be reopened. "We need to dig up files and even bodies, if need be, to bring these murderers to justice," said Barrett. The Nationalist textbook, The Commission, which calls for an all-American America, is dedicated to Smith's memory."

I've been to Mr. Smith's grave in Shelby. I just found this interesting article about the late Mississippi Senator, G.V. (Sonny) Montgomery. Both of these articles are from www.nationalist.org. It details how Montgomery became weak on preserving Mississippi heritage and protecting whites from violence by blacks.

"Much ado was made over Montgomery "visiting" soldiers in Vietnam. But, nary a mention of his skipping the funeral of L. D. Smith, the young infantryman killed byblacks in Vietnam, for wearing a Mississippi-flag on his sleeve. In fact, the flag had been banned by military commanders, because it embodied the Rebel Flag. There had been quite an uproar. Smith had complained, but his pleas fell on deaf ears to Montgomery. It was Mississippi Senator John C. Stennis, a staunch-segregationist and friend of veterans, who had the ban reversed. Smith proudly wore his flag, until he was struck down. There were no "dignitaries" at Smith's funeral. Only a small cadre of fellow-vets, unfurling the Stars-and-Bars in tribute to "one of their own," who not only wore a uniform, but fought for freedom."Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Triad

Mentor
More news from the Magnolia State:

A 79 year old black man goes on a shooting rampage. He kills a 63 year farmer and then shoots three deputies as they are walking up to his house. I know the deputies were white and I'm almost postive the farmer was white as well. However, no pictures of him or his family have been on the liberal newsite. So does the newspaper cover the crime details or real victim's families? No, for the second day in a row they do a sympathetic story on the killer and his family: he had 18 kids. He was eventually killed by a SWAT team after several hours standoff. Now the police's actions are being questioned and they're being criticized for not letting the family enter the house, a lawsuit is sure to follow.

Daughter: My heart is hurting...