Excuses for black QB’s

Hockaday

Guru
I'm tempted to submit that paragraph to one of those bad writing contests that are held every year.Edited by: Hockaday

cslewis1

Guru
Could it possibly be that the reason Tom Brady and Manning don't have all these different offenses to learn is because THEY FREAKIN' WIN!!! And if the Michael Vicks of the world WOULD FREAKIN' WIN, they wouldn't change offenses every year?!?!? God, I literally feel like I am talking to my 3 year old daugther about this stuff. It is absolutely childish.

dirk41

Don Wassall said:
The 12/18 issue of Sports Illustrated has an article about Vince Young with this sub-heading:  "In his native Houston. . . rookie Vince Young. . . showed the NFL the shape of things to come."

SI is simply recycling the exact same propaganda line we heard in 1997 about Kordell Stewart, in 2000 about Daunte Culpepper, and in 2002 about Michael Vick.  
Just add Randall Cunningham in 1990 and it's the exact same thing I told some football buddies the other day.

Weltner

Guru
dirk41 said:
Don Wassall said:
The 12/18 issue of Sports Illustrated has an article about Vince Young with this sub-heading: "In his native Houston. . . rookie Vince Young. . . showed the NFL the shape of things to come."

SI is simply recycling the exact same propaganda line we heard in 1997 about Kordell Stewart, in 2000 about Daunte Culpepper, and in 2002 about Michael Vick.
Just add Randall Cunningham in 1990 and it's the exact same thing I told some football buddies the other day.

Doug Williams,James Harris,Joe Gilliam,Vince Evans,Rodney Peete,Andre Ware....

Tom Iron

Mentor
Hello gents.

I don't watch TV, so I haven't seen any games. From what I can gather, the NFL is coming apart at the seams. Unbelievable amount of penalties, inability to focus (dropped passes all over the place), players almost in a state of insurrection against their coaches, drug suspensions almost weekly, players constantly in trouble with the law, bad tackling (Colts), etc.

A question. What's the story on this guy Vince Young? Will he be any good? He and the Titans have won a whole bunch of games in a row. Although he shouldn't have won the Giants game. The Giants just refused to win. Once again, idiotic penalties. Will he be just another Vick or is he better in your view?

What's the story on McNair? is it just the team, or is he that good? What's the general consensus of the Titans going all the way in the playoffs?

One thing we should understand is that because of the general deterioration of play of the whole NFL, at some point a black QB will lead a team to win the SB. There are just too many blacks coming into the league as QBs to stop it.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hey Tom
Welcome to the board.

For a guy who hasn't watched a lot of TV, let alone NFL games, you sure seem to have a keen handle on the situation. Getting all your news from the web or what?

Why don't you share with us your thoughts on Young and McNair? I'm interested in what you have to say about the situation.

Tom Iron

Mentor
White Shogun

Well, as I said, I don't watch TV, I listen to the radio. I heard that game against the Giants when the Titans beat the Giants. The Titans couldn't do anything against the Giants until the Giants started screwing up in the fourth quarter. Then there was that game against Jacksonville where Young couldn't do anything and yet the Titans won. But as I said I haven't seen him play. If you ask me though, from what I hear from the sports casters on the radio, he's the greatest QB to come along since Johnny U. It just seems like a lot of baloney to me. What do you say, I gather you've seen him.

Same with Steve McNair. Is he that good this year? All of a sudden he's having a great year. Seems nobody can touch him. What's up?

I'm really sad about the NFL going down like this, but I really think it's the most interesting thing to watch.

One more QB question. How good is Brady Quinn from ND? It didn't sem to me that he had that good a year playing for ND.&nb sp;

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
What radio station do you listen to? Every football game I've heard on the radio was carried by homer radio stations, and the announcers were extremely biased for the home team. Maybe that's one of the reasons you're hearing so much love for Young. Change radio stations.

On the other hand, the whole media is in love with the black quarterback. But you know that already. Obviously it doesn't matter how good Young, McNair, Vick et al really are - they have the appropriate skin pigmentation and they play quarterback. That combination automatically = great player in the eyes of the media.

There are plenty of threads here in the NFL section for you to read through get an idea about what we think of these guys. Many of the posts have stats and other comments from the games. In a nutshell - they're all hype.

Tom Iron

Mentor
I wonder if the Falcons will finally make some sort of decision about the status of Michael Vick in the offseason? Maybe something along the lines of moving him to another position. i know there'd be all sorts of howling,but there's got to be a point when people in the front office see that he doesn't have what it takes to move the team.

Looks like the Eagles have got themselves in a bit of a bind with McNabb as well. What are they to do with that guy when he comes back next year?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Tom,
I think the Caste system is too stout for either the Eagles or the Falcons to move either of those guys. I think the biggest controversy will come if Garcia actually takes the Eagles to the Super Bowl. Otherwise, he's only done what McNabb has done the past what, five years? All the credit will go to Reid for 'bringing the team together,' and 'coaching them up' after his star quarterback went down.