ESPN article on the dearth of white backs

white is right

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
it's funny that a black writer considers mized Nick Goings white...
She is a double minority , shoot she might be a triple minority(lesbian) for all I know....
smiley36.gif
Her knowledge of the NFL extends as far as the 2008 players guide. Also Goings resembles Billy Zane...
smiley2.gif

G

Friend of mine was on a high school team back in the late 80s they had a black savior for a HB that all the chicago media was atwitter over. I go to their playoff game against the eventual state champs, and all I see is a fast black guy your grandma could arm tackle. I told my friend that the fullback (white kid) was a much better runner and my friend told me his whole team knew that, but the jock sniffing coaches and media annointed the black kid the next OJ. Well anyway the black kid goes to Kansas U. on a full ride where even those sniffers figure out he cannot run and they convert him to CB where he literally bites on any and every fake any QB puts up, and I mean embarrasingly so. The white kid meanwhile joins the workforce.

Seahawker71

I played RB in school and it's more than just having raw speed. There
certainly should be more white RB simply because the numbers say there
should be.I too grow tired of the speedsters that cannot keep their feet
when a gust of wind hits them.

A RB doesn't really need an insane 40 time or track speed but rather he
needs a feel for the game. Knowing when to accelerate and when to follow
his blockers before the burst.

Football now is so caught up in speed and physical aspects they often forget
that there are those intangible that simply make a guy a great football
player despite his height, weight or speed.

G

The high school game is about spreading the field and you need a back who can go inside for the yards to keep the D honest. And that is what the hard running full back of that team did he could take it up the gut for 5 yards on a whim they couldn't be prepped for the fast black flyweight to the outside they had to play the FB. Because of the white kid the black kid got a full ride where no doubt the only thing he did was screw white chicks.

I have noticed a lot of really good white RBs are injury prone. Luke Staley, Kyle Bell, Chance Kretschmer, and Jesse Lumsden are some good examples. I wonder if it is due to fragility in physique, or the amount of "dirty" hits they take because they are white or dangerous threats on the field. It would be good to study into.

Then again black "superhuman" backs like Adrian Peterson, Bo Jackson, and Reggie Bush also seem to have a similar injury glitch. It seems more than likely that defenders like to take dirty shots on these types of backs, regardless of race. Since these types are the only whites that make it to the major college and pro ranks, they take a similar beating by defenses. Or maybe the same thing that makes them inhumanly fast and dangerous makes their bodies more fragile (steroids?).

Red Grange was another injury prone white back that did insane things on the field when healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKMQzby9bIEdited by: FieldThrower

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Field Thrower i think race has nothing to do with being injury prone, at least at the runningback postion. These guys take an enormous beating and one reason i think it seems the white backs always break down is the lack of white backs! When a black gets hurt another is there to step in, but ifyou go to nfl.com and look at all the black backs out right now there are a plethora of them! off the top of my head Addai, Morris (Sammy), McGahee, Willie parker, and Brian Westbrook have all been injured this year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White wide receivers have gotten smarter about when to go for extra yards and when to go down when the play is obviously over. Before they were constantly getting concussions and other injuries because they tried too hard and were targets for head hunters.

Because I play fantasy football I check the injury reports a lot, and it seems as though blacks get injured at a higher rate than their proportion of the players in the league. (And that's not counting the drama queens whodelay virtually every game by laying prone on the field as if they're dying but who are almost always seen a short time later laughing and slapping hands on the sideline.)

Of course there's always the question of players who "suck it up" and play through pain and those that won't. That's traditionally yet another virtue of that race possessedof non-stop motors and overachieving attitudes. Edited by: Don Wassall

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
FieldThrower said:
I have noticed a lot of really good white RBs are injury prone. Luke Staley, Kyle Bell, Chance Kretschmer, and Jesse Lumsden are some good examples.

of the running backs you mentioned, Kyle Bell and Chance Kretschmer each only have suffered one injury of note during their respective careers: a major knee injury. so i'd not say either was injury prone. rather, they each had the misfortune of suffering a devastating single injury.

Staley, meanwhile, had several fluke injuries where bones were broken in bizarre fashion. you might say this was injury prone, but it isn't the usual manner in which the phrase is used.

Lumsden, i'd say, IS an example of the more common use of the expression. he seems to suffer a myriad of small, nagging injuries that come from routine play in football. hamstring issues, groin pulls, shoulder straings, etc. i WOULD say he is injury prone.

the other three i would just say were incredibly un-lucky. just my two cents, of course.
smiley1.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Just today the Broncos placed RBs Michael Pittman and Andre Hall on IR. Their other two RBs, Selvin Young and rookie Ryan Torain, have both missed substantial time this season with injuries. Torain played yesterday for the first time.

Denver is of course the team with dynamic running and receiving threat Peyton Hillis, who has 3 carries on the season, all in the first game.

Freedom

Mentor
Whites need to be developed and trained starting around 13-14. Plenty of whites run 4.4s and are over 210 lbs.

Gi-15

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
Does this mean Hillis may get some carries? I sure hope so.

Fans on the broncos's official site messageboard are calling for peyton to be the TB, one even calling him "possibly the best back they have", there is hope folks, unfortunatly its not cleveland, they are not looking at the messageboards when comes decision time....