Eric Crouch

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
He's on injured reserve. That's what his team site says. I hope it doesn't affect his summer work with the Chiefs.

Joethethrow

The Toronto Argonauts have been trying to get Eric Crouch to come up and play QB for a couple of years now and he's turned them down, so I wonder how badly he really wants to play QB. He has all the tools to be a successful CFL QB and with current QB Damon Allen 41 years old the opportunity was there for him to come in and be eased into the starting job. He came up for a week last fall to check things out but then decided to go into NFL Europe as a safety, maybe he thought the competetion was to tough.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I doubt that he thought the competition was too tough, Joethethrow. He obviously wants to be in the NFL, no matter where he plays. If he went to Canada and did well at QB, he'd still be stuck there because they won't let athletic white QB's play in the NFL.

Joethethrow

Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia seem to do ok going that route. And I should add Joe Thiesman.Edited by: Joethethrow

IceSpeed2

Guru
Wishful thinking from a CFL fan. Option
offenses don't work in pro football usually and Crouch would have had
just as hard a time learning a CFL offense as an NFL offense.
Crouch doesn't want to live in Canada where no one in Nebraska would
care about him.

Joethethrow

IceSpeed2 said:
Wishful thinking from a CFL fan. Option offenses don't work in pro football usually and Crouch would have had just as hard a time learning a CFL offense as an NFL offense. Crouch doesn't want to live in Canada where no one in Nebraska would care about him.

I really didn't care if he came to the Argos or not, all I was saying if he really wanted to play QB, Toronto was willing to give him the chance. It probably had something to do with money as only the starting QB's get any serious coin around 450,000 Cn. Toronto back-up Michael Bishop is making around 80,000 so Eric probably didn't think it was worth it if he didn't see any light at end of the tunnel. And like you said the CFL offense would be just as difficult for him to learn coming from a US college as a NFL offense, however if he really wanted to play QB the chance was there for him as the Argos have a good teamwith No.1 NFL draft choices at WR R. Jay Soward and Andre Rison, a No.1 draft choice at RB in John Avery and a No.1 draft choice at LT in Bernard Williams and the rest of the offensive personnel aren't exactly chopped liver so he would have had every opportunity so improve his game and get an anothershot at the in the NFL as a QB. This would have been the year for him to start getting some serious playing time as its takes about two years for most rookies to learn how to read the defenses etc. Also CFL.ca is saying that 70 million US households can get CFL telecasts this year, but maybe not in Nebraska, so maybe "if they show it he will come".

Kaptain

Master
Doug Flutie had about the most success in the CFL as any quarterback could hope to have. Even after he proved himself in the CFL, Flutie was again disrepected in the NFL. Doing well in the CFL should mean getting a real shot in the NFL but it just doesn't. The NFL remains very narrow minded unless of course your taking about the "new breed"
smiley2.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think Crouch playing QB in Canada is a hundred times better then playing safety in Europe. Canada is a great place to live, just as good as Nebraska!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just don't think that you'll see any more Garcia's come out of the CFL. If a QB will be accepted into the NFL from that league, he will have to be black. The Caste System has gotten that bad.

Joethethrow

Eric Crouch has been in touch with the Toronto Argonauts personnel director Greg Mohns according to an article on an Argo web site. Apparently he wants to play safety while learning the QB system but Mohns is quoted as saying the Argos are only interested in him as a QB as they don't feel he is as good as their starting safety Orlando Steinauer (Western Washington). Mohns says they feel he can play QB in the CFL. Argos present QB's are Damon Allen (Cal State-Fullerton) Michael Bishop (Kansas State) and Charlie Peterson (BYU). Allen is the all time leading passer in CFL history but he 42 years old, Bishop is more of a big running back playing QB and can throw the ball the length of the football field but is not exactly a pin point passer. He is playing out his option and may leave. Peterson is in his rookie year with Toronto but made things happen in the pre=season games but would probably be the guy Eric would be competing with if he decides to come in for a work out.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
You know.. if I had half the talent that these guys do, and the opportunity to play football FOR A LIVING, I'd do it anywhere, anytime - Europe, Canada, Mexico, Japan...

Okay, anywhere 'cept maybe Iraq or Afghanistan, but thats another thread.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He should go up there.Then he can show the nfl what they
are missing out on!Look at how many great years in Doug
Fluties career we missed out on because they didn't
think he was nfl material.They give up on these kids
with out a fair shot.Crouch can be a star qb if they
give him a couple of years to get the system down.