Drew Phillips - BYU

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Drew Phillips is an explosive playmaker with sprinter speed (state champion 400-meters in Alabama and 4.38 40 at both the Central Michigan and Alabama summer camps). Mike was the first Caste Footballer to talk about him, so give Mike his credit.because according to the newsout of Provo, the coachesexpect Phillips to make an impact as a true freshman.
smiley20.gif

Phillips compares himself to Percy Harvin which is apt, although he is much more willing to drop his shoulder and lower the boom than Harvin is. it looks like he will be kept on the offensive side of the ball at BYU and used in a variety of roles, similar to how Harvin was used at Florida (or so the rumors say). it's likely he'll challenge to be the kick returner from his first day on campus, as well, which, if paired with thefleet-footed McKay Jacobson, could make for one of the most dangerous return teams in the NCAA.

even though i still think he'd be a better fit at cornerback, it's obvious that Phillips has incredible talent andshould befun to watchfor years to come. oh, and you can get a preview by watching his senior year highlights below.
smiley16.gif

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9FCGxyf9lo[/tube]

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Stud.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I think this kid is probably the 3rd best white RB from the 2010 graduating class after Brandon Bourbon and Nile Knapp. Amazing talent and I'd say a top 10 2010 RB overall!

Highlander

Mentor
The guy runs a 4.38/40, plays at level 5A football in Alabama and has a highlight reel like that and not even a sniff from Saban. Absolutely disgusting. Kudos to BYU for selecting him.

G

The Bama boosters need to be hung from their toenails for losing this kid.

referendum

Mentor
According to his rivals profile, BYU, SMU Wyoming and Central Michigan were the only major colleges to offer him a scholarship. Thus, BYU was his only top 25 team to offer him. Glad he got it, and glad he took it, instead of going to lesser profile teams.

SchaafC

Guru
Phillips has been released from his scholarship. Anywhere else but BYU and I would be crying foul. But apparently he either violated the honor code or has academic issues. Sad seeing as it seemed BYU was the best place to give him a fair chance. Anyway another one to try and follow as he slips through the cracks.

Hawkeye2

Mentor
I personally think these honor codes are a bit to extreme. I'm not saying let the kids act like the Miami Hurricanes, but almost all of the students that enroll in BYU are upstanding Tim Tebow like citizens, they are going to make a mistake or two on the way, and I feel it's okay.

M

mattgianone

Drew Phillips probably needed to transfer to get serious playing time. He is very skinny and would probably make a better corner. BYU has 2 guys ahead of him next year in Quezada and Adam Hine. Hine surprised me because I think he is the only BYU that is black who actually went on a mission in Florida. Craig Bills is coming back from his mission in Uganda next year.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
"The Bama boosters need to be hung from their toenails for losing this kid."

Hahahahaha .... just the thought of Alabama offering a white athlete a scholarship to play running back.

Pretty funny joke dude! :high5:

M

mattgianone

There are some internet rumors flowing around that Phillips will walk on at Georgia Tech.

Wisdom

From the sound of it, the University of Alabama coaching staff should be ashamed for not offering this kid a scholarship.

Does anyone know what position he will play in college?