Drew Bennett now #1 WR with Titans.

I heard today that the Titans are cutting #1 WR Mason for cap reason. It now leaves the #1 WR spot open to the use to be #2 guy Bennett. I never thought that it would happen so fast. A white guy at the #1 WR spot on a team and its only 2005. This shows that the Titans must have someone that thinks or knows that Bennett has the ability to be #1. Well guys lets hope he gets the #1 spot abnd runs wild on the #1 CBs in the sport so that people will open their eyes and understand that a white guy can play at the #1 spot at WR. Hey it just might open up peoples minds about the RB spot. We can only hope.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info caste_System87. That is some of the
best news that I have heard all year.I am so excited to
see him possibly lead the nfl in receiving.It will also
be alot harder to keep him off the Pro Bowl Roster now.
Drew Bennett is a superstar who finally is being shown
the respect he should have had years ago.I guarantee you
that I will go and buy a Bennett Jersey to help
support him and get his name out there even more.What
a game he had on Monday Night Football with over 200
yards receiving.I stand and watch in awe!Go Drew!
smiley32.gif

Bennett must make sure now to run smart. Go for yards after the catch whenever possible, but also know when to go down. There's no question but that there are going to be black defenders who don't want a white stud at WR and they'll go out of their way to lay the hardest hit possible on him. The "memory lane" thread details what happened to Patrick Jeffers after he lit it up. In the caste system, once something goes all black it's supposed to stay that way.

Drew has been prone to get banged up at times. Now that he's proven himself to all but the most fanatical black supremacists, there's no need to take vicious hits if they can be avoided.

JD074

Master
Let's not get our hopes up high too high. It's hard to
underestimate the Caste System's ability to screw white
players.

Having said that, he could potentially become one of the most
important white athletes ever, if he can string together several
excellent seasons (preferably more than just one or two.) We
need somebody to step up in a big way, and over a significant
period of time. So, go Drew!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I will definitely be watching the Titans next year! They also have my favorite player on their team. 246 year old Gary Anderson! I hope he keeps playing. Hopefully the Titans will get even more white friendly in the future.

whiteCB

Master
Of course the "experts" are coming out saying they don't know if Bennett can handle being a #1 WR. What a bunch of bull! Drew will be going to Hawaii next Feburary and will be the first white WR to do so since I think Ed McCaffery. (Not sure about Ed being last white WR in Pro Bowl so somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McCaffrey was a Pro Bowl starter in 1998, the first and only white receiver since Steve Largent to start. That was the only Pro Bowl McCaffrey made. Bennett made it as an alternate last season.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Drew will be saying Aloha to the cornerbacks trying to
cover him.He will beat them deep and beat them often.
This kid has the total package and it couldn't happen
to a nicer guy.Go Bennett!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think Drew will be a starter in the Pro Bowl this year too. He will excel at being the #1 receiver at Tennessee. Barring injuries, I think he'll get close to 1500 yards this year. We'll see what happens.

IceSpeed2

Guru
One thing is certain; this should be fun to watch. Bennett has a
few new things to learn though. He is going to have to run more
posts and flags then he did last year. Shouldn't matter
much. Since, he is best at square outs and hooks and then running
for a lot of yardage after the short pass, he is ideal for the two
minute drill(since he can get out of bounds easiliy). Look for
some big touchdown receptions late in games and his own highlight reel
on SportsCenter.

I have not followed the Titans offseason. What is the situation with Billy Volek.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
McNair is healthy and will be the starter.Hopefully he
can develop a rythym with Bennett the way Volek did.
Volek should only have to wait another year as Steve
is very old.I would love to see Bennett lead the nfl
in receiving!Good luck to him.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I think Bennett has the POTENTIAL to be a star. Unfortunately, as a wide receiver you can only be a star if they throw you the ball.
smiley5.gif

McNair is a decent QB but it remains to be seen if he will actually throw the ball to Bennett, accurately and often.

You can bet that any poor throws by McNair will be blamed on Bennett's hands, no matter how bad a pass it is.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Your right about that White_Shogun! We can only hope or pray that he does get plenty of passes thrown his way, and that after enough bad passes they'll take McNair out and put Volek in. I think McNair's days are very numbered now.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After the way Volek and Bennett connected last year it will be much tougher to blame everything on Bennett if McNair isn't getting the ball to him much. Just about everyone noticed the Volek-Bennett chemistry.

McNair turned 32 in February, not old at all for a quarterback. He has thrown to Bennett (and Wychek) in the past. He's sort of the Tim Duncan of the NFL, unselfish and only interested in winning, so if he is healthy and has several years left let's hope he and Drew connect often in the Titans' new offense.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
McNair was co-MVP before the year he was hurt, now he is too old. hehe

What happened to McCaffrey, did he retire? I think the difference with McCaffrey is that it took him quite awhile before he had regular playing time. It usually takes 2 or 3 years before you to get some production out of a young reciever. But for McCaffrey he was almost 30 before he got to start consistently.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
McCaffrey retired after the '03 season. The few white receivers who overcome all the other obstacles and get an opportunity rarely get it before they've kicked around in the NFL for a number of years (and usually also with a number of teams), and McCaffrey was not an exception to the rule. He would be a cinch Hall of Famer if he had been allowed to start before he was 30.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
A few months ago, we had a thread titled slow black running blacks play forever. What about recievers? Peerless Price has been in this league 6 years and has only surpassed 70 receptions once! Now this is being a starter for 5 years. Travis Taylor, David Terrell, Dez White, all these guys played regularly. Most notably these guys got the chance while they were still young. Have they done anything? No. The highly hyped Keyshawn Johnson has played in this league 10 years and only had over 90 recpetions once. The only difference with these players are they get the chances to prove themselves. The depth chart doesn't fluctuate in the favor for white recievers.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very good points Bear-Arms.If a white receiver drops the
ball a few times,he is done.Even when the balls are
poorly thrown,it is still belived to be his fault.Then
you have guys that always underacheive but continue to
start and make the big money.Look how Danny Farmer was
treated.He never even got a fair shot and he could have
been another Bennett if given the chance.It's a joke.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I am really excited about Bennett at the number one
receiver.I can't remember the last time a guy was
this good.Probably,Steve Largent.He will rise to the
challenge and help to open doors for future receivers.
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

whiteCB

Master
I'll take a guess at Drew's stats for 2005:

88 catches, 1320 yards, 12 tds

A certain early round pick in fantasy football. Altough I
I'm sure he'll drop lower in some leagues as white guys hate picking white guys for their fantasy team.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I will be anxious to see Bennett & McNair in the pre-season.They need to develop some chemistry.If
Steve is smart,he will find Drew the majority of the
time.Bennett is very hard to cover.He uses his height
as good as any other receiver in the league.I want to
see him go for close to 1400 or 1500 yards.Go Titans.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think Drew will get at least 1400 this year. Maybe even be the leading receiver.

I think McNair is only ok. He's a workhorse and all, I mean I respect him for his determination, pain tolerance and pain threshold, his comebacks, etc...but the arm and the talent isn't there. Edited by: hollywoodnorth1