Dismal NCAA champs

sunshine

Mentor
With Baylor women and NC men winning caste takes a head on hit. Both teams reinforce the idea that black athleticism etc.. rules the roost and whites are to be avoided at all costs. One wonders if this trend of all black teams--Baylor featured one husky white shooter off the bench--winning titles will scare more schools away from white prospects? Any way you slice it with a few exceptions this was a horrible year for NCAA Hoops. In fact nearly all the best and brightest freshman for men and womenwere black. I wonder if whites will ever again make an impact in NCAA hoops? Dreary stuff. And the media laps it up.

bigunreal

Mentor
Actually, this has been the case for many, many years. Outside of a
very few exceptions- most NCAA champions have been all black, or at
least a substanial majority black, for the past 25 years or more. Duke,
in their back-to-back championships, is the only squad I can think of
that boasted 3 white starters (at least I think there were 3, but at
least Hurley and Laetner). When Danny Manning led Kansas to a
championship, they had a lot of white players, but all the attention
was on Manning, who was the star of the team. Championship teams like
U-Conn, Georgetown, Louisville, North Carolina, Michigan State,
Michigan, UNLV, Arizona, Kentucky and Arkansas were virtually
white-free, while Maryland, Syracuse, UCLA, Indiana, NC State and
Villanova had minimal roles by a token white or two. This is absolutely
nothing new. If anything, many of the colleges had more white players
than they have had for quite some time this season.

sunshine

Mentor
Not sure about the last sentence regarding more white players today. Look at BYU. They used to be all white and generally i felt a lack of white presence this season.. I do agree with your champs breakdown. One lone exception pops out in my mind is Kentucky and leaper Jeff Sheppard(sp) who was final four MVP. But I don't recall a year where the freshman outlook was so bleak and combine the men and women together a more dismal outlook emerges. It seems the women are trending even worse than the men as more and more blacks take center stage.There are more white women in college hoops than white men but how long will that last?

sunshine

Mentor
Like to add one more thing. I thought the media was more brutal on white players for both the men and women than ever before. Every game I watched the announcers would reiterate the notion thet whites were inferior leapers and quickness wise while the black athletes were hyped for their athleticism more than ever. I could not enjoy much of anything having to wade through that garbage day in and out.

Kaptain

Master
The trend could have been in women's basketball last year. All-white Minnesota was jobbed by the Refrees out of beating Conneticut in the final four. The Michigan State women this year didn't play nearly as well but with the way the game was called they stood little chance. I still think the biggest problem in basketball is that white teams have to overcome one-sided refreeing and until something changes the sport will continue to get blacker in America. In the meantime, the international players who are generally the only white players protected from the caste system will be the only ones to excell. In addition the international refrees we saw in the olympics are the only refs who haven't been conditioned by the American caste basketball system. Wait for the olympics?

bigunreal

Mentor
Sunshine-

I guess I should clarify my comments. You are right-in many ways, the
situation has never been bleaker for white players. However, I
think that is offset on the whole by the massive influx of European
talent, although much of that talent is imported directly into the NBA
and thus doesn't affect the college game. This was the first year in
quite some time that I watched a lot of tournament games, and it just
seemed like there were more white players than I remembered seeing when
I last really followed the tournament (problably mid-1980s). Maybe I'm
just overreacting to the success of West Virginia and Vermont, but
Michigan State had a few white contributors (and that wasn't the case
when they won their two championships) and there was even a white point
guard on Kentucky. Tuibby Smith playing a white player is almost as
amazing as John Thompson playing one (of course, he never did in all
his years at Georgetown).

One thing that was even more clear to me, after watching the tournament
games, is just how hard it is for any white player to compete these
days. The referees are absolutely, 100% prejudiced against every one of
them when they attempt to play defense. Any white player within
shouting range of any black player-especially any black star-will be
called for a foul whenever that black player drives near him to the
basket. Period. Yet all blacks are allowed to play hands-on, bump and
grind, super aggressive defense whenever they want, and not have to
worry about the refs calling fouls. The Louisville-West Virginia game
provided a perfect example of this. Had that game been officiated even
semi-legitimately, every Louisville player would have fouled out before
halftime.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
My impressions were similar to Bigunreal's. I followed the tournamentmore closelythis year than I had for several years and it wasn't as bad as I had expected. Many of the teams seemed to have two white starters or more. Maybe that's because I went out of my way to watch games with teams I knew had white starters or at least figured to.

The key with basketball is the European influx. If the NBA drafts continue to be over 40 percent white in the first round, as they have been the past two years, sooner or later that will begin to be reflected more in white stars and white starters in the league. At that point the caste system in basketball will begin to be more widely recognized for what it is.

The situation is far worse in college football. Most of the I-A teams look just like NFL teams, theyrarely play whites other than as blockers. Evenmany ofthe starting quarterbacks are black.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Tubby Smith is a racist coach if there ever was one. I'm glad his team lost.

JD074

Master
And he didn't recruit Sparks out of high school. He had to go to
Western Kentucky, then transfer to UK. But he should consider
himself lucky. He got the second chance that many white
athletes never get.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hey JD074, who's that in your avatar?

speedster

Mentor
Big Unreal,Duke did have three white starters on their '91 championship team.Along with Hurley and Laettner there was guard Bill McCaffery who was a McDonald's All-American and in that '91 championship year he was named to the NCAA all-tourney team as were Hurley and Laettner.After that season he transfered out to Vanderbilt.Athletic ability seems to run in some family's as Bill is the brother of Ed as we all know had a stellar career in the NFL.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Cool JD074; I didn't recognize the BYU duds! That's a good one.

Black Guy

bigunreal said:
Sunshine-

I guess I should clarify my comments. You are right-in many ways, the situation has never been bleaker for white players. However, I think that is offset on the whole by the massive influx of European talent, although much of that talent is imported directly into the NBA and thus doesn't affect the college game. This was the first year in quite some time that I watched a lot of tournament games, and it just seemed like there were more white players than I remembered seeing when I last really followed the tournament (problably mid-1980s). Maybe I'm just overreacting to the success of West Virginia and Vermont, but Michigan State had a few white contributors (and that wasn't the case when they won their two championships) and there was even a white point guard on Kentucky. Tuibby Smith playing a white player is almost as amazing as John Thompson playing one (of course, he never did in all his years at Georgetown).

One thing that was even more clear to me, after watching the tournament games, is just how hard it is for any white player to compete these days. The referees are absolutely, 100% prejudiced against every one of them when they attempt to play defense. Any white player within shouting range of any black player-especially any black star-will be called for a foul whenever that black player drives near him to the basket. Period. Yet all blacks are allowed to play hands-on, bump and grind, super aggressive defense whenever they want, and not have to worry about the refs calling fouls. The Louisville-West Virginia game provided a perfect example of this. Had that game been officiated even semi-legitimately, every Louisville player would have fouled out before halftime.

Your wrong about John Thompson. I am a Georgetown fan and he did have white players. I spefically remember people making a big deal out of it when he did play a white kid.

As for the Louisville game it was obvious to me that once West Virginia three pointers stopped falling that was the end of there chance to win. They didnt have anywhere near enough athletic skill to keep up with the Cardinals.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If I recall correctly,John Thompson had just one white playerin the 27 yearshe was the head coach at Georgetown, and he was a bench warmer. It's possible he had more in the early years of his tenure, but it was common knowledge among basketball fans, both pro- and anti-Thompson, that he recruited only blacks.