Dicky Lyons, Jr

The top rated white WR for 2009 according to nfldraftscout.com is Dicky Lyons, Jr from Kentucky. Didn't see a thread about him, so I figured I'd start one.

Gi-15

Mentor
Lyons was playing great each time I saw a kentucky game last year, and will probably be the top option with burton and johnson gone to the nfl.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Dicky will be the number one option next year. He's been highly under-utilized the last 2 years in my opinion.

white is right

Hall of Famer
You guys all know he is the son of KU former star Lyons Sr?
Edited by: white is right

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yep, white is right, I believe that fact was discussed here a couple of years ago.

dwid

Hall of Famer
man, i just saw this kid play from a dled game from last season, i have been avoiding watching the wildcats because of woodson and actually stumbled upon it because i wanted to watch tim tebow, but this kid impressed me, and turns out hes from my hometown new orleans and went to the same high school a few friends of mine went to, it seems like alot of "decent" black qbs with good stats have a white receiver to throw to. i want to see how good freeman does without jordy nelson and how good meyer does without blythe

Mike

Guru
dwid said:
man, i just saw this kid play from a dled game from last season, i have been avoiding watching the wildcats because of woodson and actually stumbled upon it because i wanted to watch tim tebow, but this kid impressed me, and turns out hes from my hometown new orleans and went to the same high school a few friends of mine went to, it seems like alot of "decent" black qbs with good stats have a white receiver to throw to. i want to see how good freeman does without jordy nelson and how good meyer does without blythe

Brett Meyer graduated. Shows how closley you've been following the game.

dwid

Hall of Famer
way to call me out, does that make you feel better than me?, i have never seen iowa state until this year its not like their games are broadcasted all over the nation, ive only watched a few games i dled after the saints picked todd blythe, but just because i don't keep up with one school doesn't mean i don't keep up with football, kentuckys qb was andre woodsoon, and btw, there are games after college, lets see if meyer can earn a spot on the redskins Edited by: dwid

Mike

Guru
dwid said:
way to call me out, does that make you feel better than me?, i have never seen iowa state until this year its not like their games are broadcasted all over the nation, ive only watched a few games i dled after the saints picked todd blythe, but just because i don't keep up with one school doesn't mean i don't keep up with football, kentuckys qb was andre woodsoon, and btw, there are games after college, lets see if meyer can earn a spot on the redskins

No, it doesn't make me feel better than you. But if you're going to make a statement like that on a guy you should have your facts straight.Edited by: Mike

Realistic

Deus Vult said:
Who is Kentucky's starting QB?

It will probably be the white QB Hartline since Curtis Pulley got in trouble for marijuana possession. The coaches haven't made a statement yet on what they're going to do about him.

Realistic

There was an article in the local media that Lyons had lost about 20 pounds so he could be quicker this season. He played at 195 last year and at 5-11" thought that was too heavy.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Lyons is fun to watch on the field... and apparently off it, as well.

the speedy wideout also has a quick wit, it seems. enough so, that he had the reporters at the SEC Media Days cracking up about a dream he had and the Kentucky athletic program has created "the Daily Dicky" wherein he provides some thoughts during the preseason camp.

for anyone interested: The Daily Dicky

but just in case you thought he was getting the credit he is due for his athleticism, don't be too hasty. here is a scouting report on UK's offense... well, at least the one sentence on Lyons:
Dicky Lyons Jr. is the leading returner as a possession receiver with deceptive speed.

stereotype quota achieved in just 14 words.
smiley7.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Lyons is optimistic he'll get his shot in the NFL. Maybe a late round pick? Many of his former teammates have been encouraging to him. I don't know maybe this will motivate him more. Some people adversity really motivates them! From NFLdraftscout.com:

11/15/08 - Q: What do the next few months hold for you? When do you think you'll be able to run full-speed and work out? A: I've already been surrounded by great people. Dr. James Andrews is willing to sit down with (NFL) scouts and talk with them about the prognosis of my knee so that they'll know that I'm in good shape. The way I look at it, if they say 6-8 months, I'll be back in five. If you think about it, a lot of great football players have been injured. Nowadays, it's not as big of a deal. A lot of guys come off injury and produce at the same or at a higher level. Steve (Johnson) and Keenan (Burton) call me all the time, and that keeps me going. They tell me all I need is a chance, and I think I'll get it. - Chip Cosby, KentuckySports.com

10/21/08 - "A lot of guys (ex UK teammates) have called," Lyons added. "Especially once they heard the big news, that I was going to have surgery. It's been nothing but positive words from them. They just said, "Don't give up. It's not over. You're still part of the team. Cheer the team and keep all of your goals " going to the NFL and stuff like that. If you want it, you can do it'. They were just making sure I didn't get down in the dumps. "It helps out when you have great friends." The 5-11, 190-pound Lyons finished his UK career No. 5 all-time in receptions with 141. He is fourth in receiving yards with 1,752 and tied for third in career touchdown receptions with 18. He was far and away the Wildcats' leading receiver this season at the time of his injury, which came in the second quarter of the South Carolina game as he struggled to gain an extra yard after catching a pass from quarterback Mike Hartline. What happens to his football career now? We won't know for a while. "They say my rehab could be anywhere from six to nine months, depending on how bad I want it," Lyons said. "So I'm going to go ahead and say five months. "I just have to keep at the grind and get the knee right," he added. "Hopefully it'll be ready before pro day (this spring), and I can show the scouts that I'm getting back to tip top form and all those kinds of things. You just have to keep a positive attitude about it all." - Brian Rickerd, The State-Journal