Dave (King Kong) Kingman

Was Dave Kingman Jewish? I am having a hard time finding information on this. Someone I know claims that he was booed by Chicago fans because of this. I don't remember this, but it was so long ago.

white is right

Hall of Famer
No probably not. It's seemed when Jewish athletes dried up in the professional sports. The media a big deal of any Jewish athlete that played a pro sport. I remember John Lowenstein being touted as Jewish and he was of a German gentile background.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Dave Kingman was one of my favorite players. He was a true power hitter pre-steroids. He was a physical freak big tall lanky with a huge sweeping swing. Not the greatest player and a difficult personality which endeared me to him. He hated the media, waged a constant war with them and they returned the favor by ripping him ceaselessly.

I did some checking and could not find out if he was jewish at all. His poor treatment by the press certainly leads one to believe that he was not. I also know that he was an avid fisherman/hunter a not typical jewish passtime. I don't like that anytime a person's name ends with 'man' the assumption is that the person is jewish, not true I can assure you.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've browsed through some of those Jewish run "Who's a Jew" type sites, and don't recall ever seeing Kingman's name listed among athletes.