ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Anak said:
TwentyTwo said:
<div>Jake Sharp needs to be with the Packers!</div>
<div> </div>
<div>It's time for more white scat-backs!</div>

I wish the Colts would pick him up.

Sharp would be better than Mike Hart for sure (heck even Donald Brown is under performing for where he was drafted). Sharp's much more athletic at around the same size as Hart. Hart is only averaging in the mid 2s per carry so far for his career. Devin Moore is a return man- so they'd keep him, but why not pick up Sharp?

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Interesting stat and comments from a Jets twitter feed site that was discussing what has become of Woodhead since the Jets released him. They are also wishing hard that Joe Mcknight does well so that the team doesn't look so foolish. Here is the excerpt that I found fascinating:

"Woodhead is becoming the featured back on a New England team that is typically pass happy, but check out number of snaps each player took in last night's game:

TE Aaron Hernandez â€" 50 of 58
WR Randy Moss â€" 46 of 58
WR Wes Welker â€" 43 of 58
WR Brandon Tate â€" 31 of 58
TE Alge Crumpler â€" 30 of 58
RB Danny Woodhead â€" 28 of 58
RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis â€" 24 of 58
TE Rob Gronkowski â€" 24 of 58
RB/FB Sammy Morris â€" 6 of 58
WR Julian Edelman â€" 5 of 58
FB Dan Connolly â€" 2 of 58
WR Matthew Slater â€" 1 of 58

Danny was in the game more than any other RB for the Patriots and he scored a touchdown, his second in many weeks."Edited by: FootballDad

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Woodhead had 8 carries last game. I would like to see him get around 15 a game but that's probably not going to happen. On 15 carries he has a chance to hit 100 yards rushing if he busts a big run open.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think Danny will continue to get around 8 carries per game throughout the season, if nothing changes. Its great that Moss is gone, because Danny might get thrown to more often. Also, if someone else gets hurt, Danny's carries might increase a bit. For all this positive media talk of Danny taking over Kevin Faulk's role, here's something to ponder. Faulk had only 9 games with 15 or more carries in his whole career; 1 in his rookie season of '99, 3 in '00, and 5 in '03. Unless Fred Taylor's turf toe gets worse or Sammy Morris gets hurt, I doubt we'll see much of an increased role for Danny, unless it is in the passing game.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

qj

Guru
Well, it certainly looks like Danny can get open, catch the ball, and then get gain some good yardage. The guy can also get good yards when he carries the ball. If he maintains the current level of productivity, I think he's going to have an expanded role on the team.

qj

Guru
BTW, nobody seems to be talking about it, even here on CF, but take another look at Tate's TD run the other night. The CMC's (Caste Media Clowns) gushed over how some black guy sprung Tate with a good block on the return, yet if you take another look at the TD run, it looks like Woody also sprung Tate with nice blocking on a guy on the outside. It looked like Woody moved the defender to the sideline, which eliminated containment on that side of the field and opened up a lane for Tate. Later in the game, Tate patted Woody on the head on the sideline. Now I see why; Woody also helped spring Tate on his TD run. Check out the replay here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhLRBRBntu4
Edited by: qj

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

The Hock

Master
I think Danny is a real good weapon in the red zone especially. He just seems to have that knack for finding seams and openings, whether running or receiving. I look for the Pats to go to him quite a bit once they're inside the twenty.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Call me a pollyanna, but I see a lot of confidence in Danny by the coaches and Tom Brady if he is in the game for more snaps than any other back. The media likes to constantly mention his stature, but one of his great strengths is his blocking. He is a terrific blocker (pass protection and downfield, not lead blocking)who understands leverage and blocking angles. In the Patriots' system, it effectively makes him an every-down back. This is something that separates him from the Patriots other backs. Green-Elliott is iffy as a blocker,and I'm not sure about his hands, Fred Taylor is just a north-south guy with questionable hands, Morris is mostly a lead blocker. Only Woodhead is a complete back.

snow

Mentor
good point, which is why i don't see why everyone is bent out of shape about size. if you have the technique and the power to handle blockers, then it shouldn't matter. Strength is more important than size. Obviously you can't be too short like 5'4 but you get my drift. He has a lot of muscle, kind of like Maurice Jones Drew. The same thing with white defensive tackles that at aren't obese, people think because they aren't the "prototypical" size that they won't have the power to play the position, when they are probably more powerful than guys that way 20 to 40 pounds heavier.
Edited by: snow

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Anyone who has played football knows the advantage small guys have carrying the ball. It's harder to get a good piece of them and they have a lower center of gravity. They are also harder to pick up coming out of the backfield. The people that run the NFL know this of course they have no trouble with small black guys: "smurfs". Danny is truly a caste-breaker in this regaurd. Size shouldn't be even mentioned as a negative, it's a POSITIVE in his case, like with similar (black) players.

Patrick

Guru
I hope someone here can answer this question - if Danny Woodhead had received a D1 scholarship - would he have been the smallest RB ever in D1 football the year he entered college?
I have a feeling he wouldn't have been, but just wanted to ask.

snow

Mentor
Not even close. There are a couple of runningbacks right now in d1 fbs that are 5'4, not to mention a cornerback that is 5'2.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Not even close. Girth wise Noel Devine is visibly smaller and shorter(listed). Also there has to be some scrubs that are 3rd or 4th string that have to smaller girth and height wise too. If you look at weaker D1 schools they have much smaller athletes that are starters and back ups than the traditional powerhouses. Edited by: white is right

Patrick

Guru
Then why does the media constantly spew that he wasn't offered a chance at a D1 school because of his size? That doesn't make any sense. Unless..........

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
All that size talk is nonsense. Warrick Dunn was about the same size as Danny and he was a first round pick. Darren Sproles is even shorter and he was a 4th round pick.

TwentyTwo

Master
Someone please educate me here...what is a "pollyanna"??

I was telling my brother yesterday about Woodhead being a caste-breaker...Edelman can play some tailback too!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Pollyana is the uber-optimistic alter ego of a current poster. I'm not going to say who.
smiley36.gif

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
TwentyTwo said:
Someone please educate me here...what is a "pollyanna"??
In addition to the reference to the optimistic CF poster, the word "pollyanna" has its root in a 1913 children's literature book by the same title. It's about an incredibly optimistic orphan. The word now is defined as "an excessively or blindly optimistic person".

Now on to more Danny Woodhead news! Here is an article from the Providence Journal entitled "Patriots notebook". It looks like that crafty Belichick guy is going to be using more and more Woodhead:

<H2 =vitstoryline>Patriots notebook: Belichick likes what he has seen with Woodhead</H2>

<H5 =vitstorydate>12:06 AM EDT on Tuesday, October 12, 2010</H5>

By ROBERT LEE

Journal Sports Writer

FOXBORO â€" It appears that recently signed running back Danny Woodhead's role in the Patriots offense is about to expand.

Woodhead has been impressive nearly every time he's touched the ball in a Patriots uniform.

The Patriots signed Woodhead on Sept. 18, one day before they were to face the New York Jets.

At the time, most believed that the signing was to grab some insight into the Jets offense. Woodhead had been released by the Jets earlier that week, so he knew their plays and tendencies.

But then versatile running back Kevin Faulk went down in that game with a torn ACL, and suddenly the Patriots were in desperate need of another running back.

Enter Woodhead, who made his debut the following week against the Buffalo Bills, carrying the ball three times for 42 yards and a touchdown.

He opened some eyes in the second quarter against the Bills when he took a handoff from Tom Brady on a draw play up the middle, broke through a huge hole and sprinted 22 yards for a touchdown to give the Patriots a 14-13 lead.

The following week against Miami, Woodhead gained 36 yards on eight carries. Listed at a generous 5-foot-9 and 200 pounds, Woodhead is averaging 7.1 yards per carry (11 carries, 78 yards).

"He's really learned quickly in terms of all the different things we've asked him to do: different pass routes, route adjustments, pass protections, formations, the running plays, the ball handling, all that stuff,"Â￾ said head coach Bill Belichick. "For a running back, those guys are pretty much in the middle of every play. They're doing something that's important to the play. He's done a good job of learning all those things and working extra to not only know his assignment, but also execute it well.

"I think that's probably the biggest thing. Skill-wise, he looks pretty much like the player that we signed as far as his speed and his quickness and his hands and things like that. He's certainly learned the system quickly. He's helped us not only on offense, but in the kicking game. When you just throw all that on one guy in a short period of time, it's great really that he's been able to pick up everything as quickly as he has and contribute as much as he has the last few weeks. Hopefully that'll get better."Â￾

Westside

Hall of Famer
Man, looking forward to the Pats next game with Danny getting increased, and rightly so, playing time. I hope he breaks off some more explosive runs and TDs. Watching him has me interested in football again. The same with Hillis.

backrow

Hall of Famer
they just re-qualified him as a RB, as opposed to WR, so that may be a reason.