Craig Pickering

white lightning

Hall of Famer
First off,I give other sprinters like Walter Dix alot of credit.He is an amazing talent but we are not on this board to talk about Dix or a few of the others which you have mentioned.We are here to talk about guys like Pickering and LeBlanc.As for Craig,he just has won at every level of competition since he was a kid against some of the best sprinters in the world.Pickering has a faster 60 than Dix by the way!He will not only go sub 10 but he will go into a range that will win medals.I see him running in the 9.8 range someday and possibly 9.7! LeBlanc has come out of nowhere and is also a future hope.

Why are you here?If you want to talk about white sprinters,then you are in the right place.There are many other track message boards where you can talk about the other guys who are very talented as well.We are here to support white athletes period!They get very little support anywhere else.We have too many trolls trying to come here.I will give you the benefit of the doubt for now.Let me ask you,why do you think that Craig Pickering and Michael LeBlanc are capable of running?I will await your response.

G

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all for young sprinters doing their thing. I was a sprinter in high school and college and wish I was a freak of nature like all these guys. I was just wondering what it was about him that prompted you tothink his learning/training curve or slope would be so much steeper than the other guys that it would allowhimto eclipse them in the future, that's all. I know both of his parents were sprinters, so it's in his genes, but I was just wondering what else you felt separated himfrom the pack.

PitBull

Guru
Yeah, I don't know how Craig will compete either with his drugged-to-the-
gills black competitors. We should stop rooting for him, White Lightning,
and root for the black drug addicts. Ty Slob said so.

C Darwin

Mentor
TyCobb said:
I was just wondering what else you felt separated him from the pack.
I think we all see great potential in Craig's abilities. Is that the answer you were fishing for?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Ok guys.I got an interview with Pickering from earlier this year.He knows that it will take a incredible effort to beat the American guys.Just look at two former world record holders in the 100 meters just in the last several years who like countless others were juiced to the gills in Tim Montgomery & Justin Gatlin.As Col.Callan has said many times,the US covers up for our guys all the time.Jamaica also has a history of not being stringent with their drug testing.That being said,Craig knows it might take a 9.7 to win the gold medal in London.He thinks that he can do it within five years and his coach believes he has all of the attributes to do so as well.

Here is the link to the interview.This kid is a student of the sport on and off the track.He will work as hard as it takes to get to that next level.He watches what he eats,gets his rest,doesn't drink or smoke,and just trains like a mad man.He will take it to another level and inspire alot more white sprinters in the future.Here is the link guys.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/story/0,,2022013,00.ht ml

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Big interview

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

A white knight with the talent to cut a dash at London 2012

The Milton Keynes sprinter who goes for indoor gold this weekend has his sights on that Olympic miracle

Donald McRae
Tuesday February 27, 2007
The Guardian

"I'm shocked that people are actually calling me the saviour of UK athletics," Craig Pickering says as his hand covers his mouth in shy disbelief. The young sprinter might have exploded from obscurity to dominate the European indoor circuit over 60m with a series of startlingly assured victories during the past six weeks but his natural diffidence, combined with some measured good sense, encourages his attempt to muffle the hype. "I'm 20 years old," he murmurs, "and just because I've run 60m in 6.55 seconds, which is not an absolutely amazing time anyway, it seems as if everyone thinks I've saved the sport in this country. People are getting carried away. I guess it must be 2012 fever - making them think I'm simply going to go out there and win gold in the 100m at the London Olympics. Blah-blah-blah ..."

Article continues

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

In a corner of an empty gymnasium adjoining the indoor running track at Bath University, Pickering turns back in embarrassment, as if suddenly worried that he might appear unnecessarily rude. "I don't mean to sound ungrateful for all the attention. It's just that I know that, if I'm going to do anything as a sprinter in the next five years, I'll have to work my bollocks off."
Pickering flushes when asked if, despite himself, he secretly spends much time imagining what it would be like to win gold at the London Games? "Yeah," he says, grinning, "I do. It's pretty amazing to think you could win the Olympics. And even if it's just in your own head, the thought of winning it in your home country makes it especially good. But then I get hold of myself and just focus on the work that's needed. At this stage I just don't know how quick I can run. It might be that I only run 10.05 in five years' time and that won't be anywhere near good enough. But by 2012 I might run 9.7. It's impossible to predict."

This weekend, however, we might get a snapshot of the future. Pickering enters the 60m at the European Indoor Championships in Birmingham as the No1 ranked sprinter on the continent, having twice run 60m in those 6.55 seconds. He has also beaten Jason Gardener, his training partner and European champion since 2000, in three of their four races this season. With the 31-year-old Gardener contemplating retirement while still yearning for a fourth consecutive title, Pickering stresses how much be has learned from his more renowned friend.

That gulf in experience meant that, in the words of their coach, Malcolm Arnold, Gardener was "shell-shocked" when Pickering beat him so convincingly in this year's first three indoor finals. "I can't imagine Jason ever expected to lose to me," Pickering admits. "This time last year I was still struggling with leaving home in Milton Keynes for Bath and I never even thought about the European Championships. We now both really want to win and I've noticed some distance creeping between us because it's getting so close to the final.

"Jason's a competitor and he beat me the last time we ran [10 days ago in Birmingham]. It takes some pressure off me - but I still ran faster in my heat than he did in the final and I feel ready."

That conviction is even more evident in Pickering's assessment of his own potential. "What's good about me," he says in a brief break from modesty, "is that I've not fully realised that running 60m in 6.55 would be an achievement for most sprinters. I think it's nothing special and that's the attitude of a top sprinter - because I'm never satisfied and I'm determined to run much quicker."

Pickering is the latest in a line of young British sprinters expected to blossom on an Olympic stage. Yet Dwain Chambers, Christian Malcolm and Mark Lewis-Francis have either been disgraced or simply failed to fulfil predictions that their exploits in World Junior championships would translate into success in the more brutal arena of senior sprinting. Lewis-Francis, in particular, had been touted as the great British hope after he won gold so effortlessly at the World Junior Championships in 2000. His reputation has declined steadily and this month he hit a new low when failing even to qualify for the European Championships.

"I respect Mark but it might be something to do with his attitude. If you win the world juniors at 18 and have been winning for five years before that it's understandable if you think it's always going to be easy. But you need to work incredibly hard. If he puts his mind to it, Mark can come back but the longer he leaves it the harder it will become."

Pickering is less forgiving of Chambers. "What I don't like about Dwain Chambers is that he had his two-year ban [for taking anabolic steroids] and then last year everyone seemed happy to see him back on the track. But I wasn't happy - he's a drugs cheat."

His hand covers his mouth again. "Oh sh*t! I've put my foot in it!"

Pickering relaxes a little when reminded that he is not the first British sprinter to voice such feelings. Gardener and Darren Campbell expressed their contempt in far stronger terms. "Jason was robbed time and again by athletes who took drugs. He once was ninth fastest in the Olympics and just missed out on the final - only to see a couple of the guys ahead of him get busted later for drugs. So he's very outspoken. Personally I've got nothing against Dwain Chambers - but, if you've taken steroids, then I don't ever want you back on the track.

"I only get bothered when I'm asked about the race issue. I don't believe I can't run 100m in 9.99 because I'm white. And I don't believe black sprinters think that just because of their colour they're automatically going to run under 10 seconds without working hard. But I don't like these questions because I'm scared of saying something that might offend black people - or even white people."

Pickering is the son of two sprinters who both represented Yorkshire in athletics. David and Linda, who work respectively as an accountant and a probation officer in Milton Keynes, have been "massively supportive" but Pickering snorts at the idea that sprinting is in the genes. "County level sprinting is not very good, is it?" he says with the assurance of an aspiring champion. "I had no idea I could run fast until I was 13. I broke the school record in my first race but even then I didn't think I'd be much good. My parents had to talk me into training.

"I had no confidence in myself as a kid. I couldn't talk to anyone on the phone, let alone face to face. It was horrible and that's why I'm really grateful to athletics because it's helped me get out of the shadows as a person. I'm still really shy but I started to get more confident after I won the national schools championships a year later. And then, getting a bronze at the world youth championships in 2003, I really began to believe in myself."

Ironically, just as British athletics plummets to a new low, there is now speculation that the country might even produce two world-class sprinters by 2012. Harry Aikines-Aryeetey, the London teenager of Ghanaian descent, matched Lewis-Francis by winning the 100m at the world juniors in Beijing last year. A flash of Pickering's competitiveness emerges when, discussing his 18-year-old rival, he says: "I think Harry's beaten me twice but I've beaten him three or four times. He's got the credentials but the next the next few years will make or break him."

Pickering shrugs at the suggestion that he sounds guarded towards Aikines-Aryeetey. "I just don't want to sl*g off anyone. I'm friends with him in the sense that, if I see him, I'll say hello. If you've beaten someone you always believe you can beat them again. But Harry might improve a lot over the next few years."

The prospect of both Pickering and Aikines-Aryeetey improving markedly between now and the London Olympics needs to be considered in light of Colin Jackson's recent assertion that it would take a miracle for a British athlete to win gold on the track in 2012. "I actually endorse that," Pickering says, while acknowledging that Jackson's formidable record as a world champion hurdler was also forged under Arnold's coaching. "If you look at the current state of British athletics, it is going to need a small miracle. America can produce 10 great new athletes a year. Nine of them might go to American football but the 10th will probably still beat most European athletes. The Americans won't be quaking that I've run 60m in 6.55. Next year in the indoor world championships they'll probably have three athletes running under 6.50 - so in that sense we might need a miracle."

And yet Pickering's strong displays this year are striking especially because, as he points out, "60m is not my best distance. I'm much more suited to the 100m and I'll be 25 in 2012 - which is the perfect age for a sprinter. So who knows?"

It certainly makes a change to indulge a surreal sense of hope that the fastest man in the world might one day be the unfailingly polite son of an accountant in Milton Keynes. "Even if my family comes from Yorkshire, Milton Keynes is home to me. It's OK, really, Milton Keynes. You can't get lost there and you never get in a traffic jam because Milton Keynes is just one big roundabout. People always mock it because it's a new town but there are decent facilities there and it was good enough for me. But I wouldn't mind trying to make Milton Keynes famous for something else five years from now."

Angelcynn

Guru
Craig Pickering has been given the men's 100m slot in Great Britain's team for the European Cup on 23-24 June. The 20-year-old was chosen ahead of Mark Lewis-Francis after his win in the Glasgow Grand Prix earlier this month.

waterbed

Mentor
In 2005 when he ran 100 meter 10.22 in the 100 meter his 60 meter PR was 6.83.
His PR 60 meter is now 6.55.
that is a improvement of 0.28 sec.
if you combinate his 10.22 with the 0.28 improvement you got a sub 10
smiley36.gif

freedom1

Mentor
Plus 100 meters is a longer distance and therefore a longer time to cut time off of.

He's already equaled his PB of 10.22 under poor conditions and in an early season race this year. Out of all the sprinters we watch, he seems like the one most likely to make a major breakthrough this season.

Alpha Male

Mentor
"I only get bothered when I'm asked about the race issue. I don't believe I can't run 100m in 9.99 because I'm white. And I don't believe black sprinters think that just because of their colour they're automatically going to run under 10 seconds without working hard. But I don't like these questions because I'm scared of saying something that might offend black people - or even white people."

Love his outspokeness. Love it.

mastermulti

Master
We in Australia had a really good sprinter a decade ago named Damien
Marsh. His claim to fame was winning the last GP 100m in Monaco 1995
after coming in as a reserve.
In zero wind he ran 10.13 to beat Christie, Fredericks, Mike Marsh and
Mitchell (whom he also beat over 60m in Australia in '94) and win the
race.
Here was this 6'2" blonde who never believed being white was a
disadvantage. When questioned he said something to this effect. "I look at
it this way....I'm the only Damien Marsh that's ever been. Who knows what
I'm capable of ".

With his white Aussie teammates he ran 38.17 for the 4x100 in
Gotenburg '95. He was coached by Jackie Joyner's husband in the States
that year and was the only "white" in the squad and replaced Slip Watkins
as the quickest. Ask anyone in that squad if they thought he wasn't a real
sprinter!

The Good Lord above hasn't pronounced whites as being unable to run
9.99... it's a construct we've made.... Wariner has shown what a capable
and committed white guy can do!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Great post Multimaster, and a great point!
I remember Damien Marsh, and in particular I remember that race where he beat all those big names.
Thanks for bringing him back to mind.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Marsh was quite a talent!It's just sad that similar to Shirvo,he didn't live up to as high a level as he should have.Don't get me wrong,he was very good but just under that world class elite level on a consistant basis.I think Shirvington was a tad better as he ran under 10.10 multiple times and he never had good running form in my opinion.If only Shirvington could have gotten a little better coaching to smooth out his running style,he would have run multiple sub tens!

As for Craig Pickering.He will almost certainly set a new p.b. this weekend at the Euro Cup.Unless the weather is hurricane like,or he falls down,watch out for a really fast time in one of the heats or the finals.I will be a little conservative and predict a time of 10.15! I want to see him go sub 10.10 but we shall see.I can't wait to see him run.

Alot of the other guys are running too like Darius Kuc,Matic Osovnikar,C.Blum, a new guy from Greece who just ran a 10.28 last weekend(forgot his name),and many others.We should see some really good times weather permiting.

Kali

Here is the start list for the Euro Cup

100 m

Country Name Firstname SB PB
GBR Pickering Craig 10.22 10.22
GER Blum Christian 10.26 10.26
POL Kuc Dariusz 10.30 10.17
FRA Mbandjock Martial 10.31 10.31
RUS Yepishin Andrey 10.32 10.10
BEL Ferro Anthony 10.39 10.26
UKR Dovgal Anatoliy 10.51 10.17
GRE Steryioúlis Efthímios 10.94 1

Pickering has lane 1, Kuc lane 2, Blum lane 4, Yepishin lane 8 so they are a bit spread out. No Pognon for France to force a fast time & as Pickering is a racer rather than a time trialist it doesn't look like a fast time is on the cards.

By the way its just one straight race, no heats.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Craig wins the Euro Cup in 10.15.

Others disappoint:
Blum 10.37
Kuc 10.44
Yepishin 10.51Edited by: jacknyc

freedom1

Mentor
Wow, that's great news. It's still relatively early in the year. He was running from lane 1 against a slow field with only a slight positive wind.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What more can we say about Craig except for the sky is the limit.He handles pressure as good as any sprinter that I have ever seen.That is why I compare him to Jeremy Wariner because he wins when it counts!Craig admitted that he had a bad start and he was in one of the worst lanes in lane one.He caught and then destroyed the field with ease.I think with a better start and in the middle of the track,he would have went 10.10 or better.

This kid will go places.I don't have him as my avatar for nothing!
smiley36.gif
He is so smooth and has such good top end speed to go with his endurance.He almsot seems to get faster as the race goes on similar to Tyson Gay.Obviously,he just holds his form better like all world class sprinters do.This at only 20 years of age.I can only imagine how good he just might become in the coming years.I want to see him get down his time a little faster and just stay at the level consistantly for the rest of the summer.That will be a great base to start off for next year as we head towards the 2008 Olympics.

Can you guys imagine if he could make an Olympic 100 Meters Final at only 21 years of age next year?That would be great.Pickering will go sub 10 within one to two years in my opinion.It will not be a one time thing either.He will run in that range over and over and challenge for medals.The only thing that can stop Craig is Craig himself as in injuries or lack of training.He is simply that good!

I was very dissapointed in the Blum,Kuc,and Yepishin!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Can someone please post the video here for us to watch?I haven't seen the race yet.I've only read about it.I'm waiting for it to be uploaded to youtube.com Thanks in advance if someone has the video link.

mastermulti

Master
I agree that with Craig's temperament if he runs low 10's/sub10 he'll do it
more than once.
I heard the BBC report that he started quite badly and after 50m
"destroyed" the field, the same as he did in Glascow against Lewis Francis
and co.
Seems he has really good top end speed and is probably a factor why he
doesn't tigthen up in the close ones... his confidence with his speed.

(Shirvo used to bank on his explosive start and then often lose form as
people like Patrick Johnson started to pick him up).

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
RE: Pickering's race.....
Watch the BBC live coverage tomorrow.
I am sure they will show it again.
They ran it a few times today.Edited by: jacknyc

G

I would not get THAT excited yet. Let's see him run 10.1 on a regular basis. If he can do that 3 or 4 times per season, then it's time to start getting excited about him going under 10.

There's already been a few white sprinters who have followed the exact same path as Craig, let's hope everything goes right and he doesn't get stuck at 10.0 for 5 years and then things go downhill.

Anything less than regular runs at 10.1 and he's probably not fast enough to final at a world championship or olympic games.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Britain's 20-year-old sprint sensation Craig Pickering stormed to victory with a personal best in Saturday's 100 metres at Munich's European Cup and then cast his eyes on the World Championships.

Although the sports science student was the sixth slowest out of the blocks, he recovered to win comfortably on his senior British outdoor debut in 10.15 seconds before helping Britain to relay glory.

Pickering ran the second-leg of the 4x100 metres relay as Britain won with a time of 38.30 seconds â€â€￾ the joint fastest time in the world this year â€â€￾ which earned the Bath University student praise from team captain Marlon Devonish.

"Normally sprinters break into the British team through the relay squad, but Craig has come straight in through the front door, he's a real talent," said Devonish.

Having already picked up a European indoor silver medal this year, Pickering destroyed a poor 100 metre field, but he will need to threaten the ten second barrier if he wants to get amongst the medals at Osaka's World Championships.

"I was very nervous at the blocks, but it was a great race and there is definitely more to come this season," said Pickering.

"I really wanted to give my best for the team at a big occasion like this. I ran an amazing time, even though I had a bad start, I finished very strong and ran a new personal best.

"Now I am looking forward to the World Championships in Osaka. I want to be in the finals there, I am in good shape."

craigpickering.jpg