Craig Pickering

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know when Craig opens his outdoor season?I am so pumped to see how much he can lower his p.b. in the 100 meters.I would guess he should get into around the 10.10 range which would be a great starting point on his march to an eventual sprint medal someday.This kid has the potential of a Wariner in the hundred meters in my opinion.He is that good.The big question is can he stay focused,train his ass off,and continue to progress while not letting the fame go to his head.I hope Craig can have the season of his life this year!

Kali

It's a safe bet that he will be running the British University champs which are on 5-7 May other than that I think he will make a late start to his season aiming to make the GB team for the world champs. The GB trials are 27-29 July & the world champs are 25 aug to 2 Sept so I think he will be aiming to peak for those. So I think it will be a low key start aiming for a late season peak.

surfsider

Guru
I went to the Milton-Keynes(Pickering's club) site and emailed their info guy asking about Craig's schedule. He was kind enough to respond with this:

May 5th - BUSA championships
May 30th - Small competition in Guernsey
June 3rd - Glasgow International
June 5th - Warm weather training to sharpen up
June 22nd - Europa Cup
June 27th - Ostrava Grand Prix
July 4th - Zagreb Grand prix
July 12th - European u23s
July 27th - AAAs
August 3rd - Crystal Palace GP
August 12th - Depart for World Champs

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks a million surfsider.I don't know why I didn't think of that.So his first race is on the night of the Delahoya vs Mayweather Fight.That gives him some time to prepare a good base.I'm pumped to see him prove the negative people wrong.This kid has a future world champion written all over him.I think he will make us forget about Shivo and his potential that he should have but never quite reached.

Pickering will be the one to watch this year.I just hope that he can stay healthy.Good luck to Craig.Show us who the real "white lightning"is!
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig defended his gold medal at the BUSA Championships in England today.He won his quarterfinals,semifinals and the finals races easily.Pickering was never pushed and looked to just be taking it very easily for his first outdoor races of the season.Pickering won in a time of 10.29 in the final.I would say that he is off to a good start for 2007.Craig now has almost a month off until his next race.Hopefully he can continue to train hard and drop a new p.b. the next time out.
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I was reading an article with Craigs Coach.He said that he is very happy with the performance yesterday.Pickering hasn't even done any speed training yet for outdoors so to open with that solid of a time is just fantastic.They are expecting a season to open alot of eyes all around the world.Pickering is stronger and faster than he has ever been and should really light up the track this summer.Craig is especially looking forward to the Norwich Union Meet in the UK next month!This is just great news.Keep it up Craig!

freedom1

Mentor
Damn, does he look strong! Looks like he's been spending some time in the weight room.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer

devans

Mentor
Craig runs today against some top opposition in Glasgow Scotland ... Article

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The race was run in rainy conditions.Not only did Craig win easily,but he did it in one of his first big races against good competition.He also got a very bad start as he sat in the blocks way too long.Pickering just ate up the entire field.If only it had been sunny and warm.He probably would have got in the 10.15 range at the least.This is a huge stepping block in the right direction.These races at only 20 years of age will help him to develop into a world class sprinter.I can't wait for someone to post a video of the race.I'm pumped.Congrats to Pickering.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Man did he look great.The power he shows is remarkable!Even the announcers said that his time would have probably been at least a tenth faster if not for the weather.That would have put him in the 10.10-10.12 range.The interview was just as good as he admitted that if he had to take drugs he would quit the sport.He was to prove how it should be done.What a role model!This kid is by far my favorite sprinter.I even put him above Wariner.Now if only I could ever get my avatar to work.I've been trying to get a Pickering Avatar for a couple of years now.Any help guys.Thanks.

SteveB

Mentor
He looks like a boy running against the men and beating them. Think how good he will be in a couple of years, with more training and growing.

Angelcynn

Guru
WOW! I was just flicking the channels randomly on TV and luckily caught this race just before it started! I wasn't dissapointed! Craig just tore up the field and he was the only whitey in the race, although Jason Gardner was disqualified and he is our top 100m runner at the moment but take nothing away from Craig. Funnily enough Ryan Scott in lane 7 not only went to my primary school but was in my class for 4 years. He used to win the 100m every year, and I always had to settle for 2nd place, nice guy though. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/6715361.stm

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This is for TheEnglishman.Do you also know Greg Rutherford the long jumper?He is an amazing talent and I know that he and Pickering are also casual friends.Greg has jumped over 8.0 meters as a teenager and he also runs a 100 in the 10.40 range!Very impressive.

mastermulti

Master
thanks for the event link.

Boy, he does look really good. As the commentator alluded to, damp
tracks feel dead and unresponsive and what with virtually nil wind he may
well be around 10.10 form.

Now the Aussie sprinters are in hard winter work mode I've got a new
favourite to watch during the northern hemisphere summer

Angelcynn

Guru
White lightning, I remember seeing Greg Rutherford get a silver medal in the long jump last summer at the European Athletics (all the best Athletes in Europe) and he was only 19! I remember the winner was a US born Italian and in 3rd place was some Eastern European. Being honest I havent heard or seen anything of him since, so I'm guessing he's been working more on his University studies. He definatly is one for the future as I remember his trainers said he sould be a gold medal contender come 2012 olympics, though I have to admit anything can happen in 5 years.

hedgehog

Mentor
White lightning, when I look at your avater it appears that Pickering's arms are crossing his chest when he runs? How is his form?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He is just fine.Craig does have a little more of an exagerated arm swing but nothing to worry about.He is being coached by Malcom Arnold who is one of the best in the business.Pickering will be a future medalist in my opinion.He could challenge for the world record within the next several years.I see that kind of talent!He is no where near his peak yet.That is a good 5 - 8 years away.You got to love it!

G

white lightning said:
Pickering will be a future medalist in my opinion.He could challenge for the world record within the next several years.I see that kind of talent!He is no where near his peak yet.That is a good 5 - 8 years away.You got to love it!

You really think he has the talent to hurdle all of the guys in front of him? Walter Dix (9.93, 10.05, 10.05, 10.06, 10.11, 10.13), Trindon Holliday (10.02, 10.02, 10.04, 10.06, 10.07, 10.08), Travis Padgett (10.00, 10.05, 10.05, 10.06, 10.09),and Michael LeBlanc (10.17) were all born in the same year Pickering was or younger, and are consistently fasterthan he is. Also, DerrickAtkins is only 2 years older and has a 9.83 and a9.86.Why do you think he'll get faster, and they won't? Especially Walter Dix now that, according to his coach, is turning pro? He's gonna have all thatNike money pushing him.