Colo. Player Suspended Over Racist Email

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
DENVER - A Colorado football player has been suspended and his girlfriend, a cross-country runner, has quit the sports program after being accused of sending a racist e-mail to an Hispanic member of the cross-country team.

The e-mail included a reference to dragging the man behind a car, recalling an incident in 1998 in Texas when a black man was dragged to his death. The two athletes were cited for harassment and ethnic intimidation.

A news release from athletic department director Mike Bohn on Sunday announced the suspension of offensive tackle Clint O'Neal and Jackie Zeigle's decision to leave the cross-country and track teams, but did not mention the e-mail.

A police report said O'Neal and Zeigle, who are both white, sent the typo-filled message to Greg Castro. It called Castro a "river rat" and "border hopper." The message suggested O'Neal would drag Castro behind his car.

O'Neal, a 6-foot-6, 305-pound senior from Weatherford, Texas, was suspended for violation of team and athletic department rules. Bohn did not say how long the suspension would last. Colorado plays Clemson in the Champ Bowl on Dec. 27.

He said Zeigle, a junior from South Jordan, Utah, had told the university she was quitting the program for personal reasons.

Bohn said privacy rules prevented the disclosure of any other information in the case other than to say the decision on O'Neal was made after several meetings over the past few days.

Neither O'Neal or Zeigle is listed in the telephone directory, and an athletic department spokesman did not return a call seeking contact information.

The suspension announcement comes three days after football coach Gary Barnett was ousted. In addition to losing his last two games by a total score of 100-6, the program had endured a sordid recruiting scandal in which sex was allegedly used to entice athletes to come to the school.

Police said O'Neal told them he was upset after his team lost the Big 12 Championship game 70-3 to Texas. He told Zeigle to use his account and write the message. Zeigle told police she was retaliating against her teammate because he is obsessed with her and harasses her.

Police said Castro told them he felt threatened by the message and slept at a friend's house. He told the Daily Camera he doesn't harass Zeigle.

Both Zeigle and O'Neal are scheduled to appear in court on Dec. 19.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The two athletes were cited for harassment and ethnic intimidation.

"ethnic intimidation?" wtf is that? Is that actually a statute?

It goes without saying that when I want to go into a convenience store with 5 black or Hispanic guys loitering around and saying s*** that I can't sue for "white intimidation." Actually, "ethnic intimidation" is what they DO, not what one does against them!
smiley7.gif

"Zeigle told police she was retaliating against her teammate because he is obsessed with her and harasses her."

Notice how the reason is buried in a throw-away line at the end of the story. The "river rat" probably harassed this poor girl lewdly, loudly, and mercilessly for months before she and her boyfriend reached the breaking point.

This should have been handled differently - O'Neal should have beaten the sh*t out of the "cucaracha" and be done with it.

Notice also that Castro felt "threatened." Yeah, right. You can bet that it's not because of the "ethnic intimidation," but rather because he now knows that the object of his obsession has a 6'6" boyfriend. O'Neal's teammates should squash this roach for him.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
People say this stuff about whites all the time and no one thinks a thing about it. People from Louisiana used to call Mississippians "stump jumpers." I don't know what it means or why they said it, but it seems this stuff is no worse.

A 6-6, 305-pound football player has to intimidate someone
through e-mail? No wonder Barnett got fired!

backrow

Hall of Famer
GreatLakeState said:

lol... seriously, i would suspend him for being stupid as well, you have a problem with someone just go there and kick their ass... don't bring any race slurs and just go on about it... that's what i would do, if i have something against a person i take it up with them regardless of the race (and honestly i have been in more fights and had more problems with people of my race that with aby other :D)

Deacon

Guru
backrow said:
GreatLakeState said:

lol... seriously, i would suspend him for being stupid as well, you
have a problem with someone just go there and kick their ass... don't
bring any race slurs and just go on about it... that's what i would do,
if i have something against a person i take it up with them regardless
of the race (and honestly i have been in more fights and had more
problems with people of my race that with aby other :D)
If the
white guy went ahead and kicked the crap out of the mexi-mongrel, you'd
have an anti-racist backlash at CU. Because you'd sure as hell know
people would turn it into an racial issue.

The minority's would get together and say crap about how they don't
feel safe at the university because of the big bad racist white guys kicking
their asses. The uni heads would bow down to them and demand
sensitivity traning to all white students..etc..etc.. No win situation
really.

Edited by: Deacon

Minorities are such little cry babies arent't they? They boast about how macho they are and how many White people they can supposedly beat up (when they outnumber us of course), but something as miniscule as an e-mail hurts their feelings! Haha. Un-f---ing real!
I just think its funny how little Jose went to the authorities for help. I thought Hispanics hated cops?